Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Summer school holidays and camps

Summer school holidays and camps

Old May 8th 2013, 6:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer school holidays and camps

Another thing about summer camps....but why do nearly all of them have shit names that are stupidly spelled and impossible to pronounce?

Just saw an advert for one up in Maine and it ended up in an abbreviation, but how bad is the name that they ended up going with Camp Wazi
Old May 8th 2013, 6:17 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Another thing about summer camps....but why do nearly all of them have shit names that are stupidly spelled and impossible to pronounce?

Just saw an advert for one up in Maine and it ended up in an abbreviation, but how bad is the name that they ended up going with Camp Wazi
There's one round our way called Camp Duncan. That always makes me think of a Carry On character ...
Old May 8th 2013, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Camp Watonka, for a science camp
Old May 8th 2013, 6:49 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I think it's everyones early 20s
Nope, I became a mum at 20 and having remarried and had 2 more kids we are in the same boat as SultanofSwing - 50 will be the start of the rest of my life. I think 50 could be the new 20 for me
Old May 8th 2013, 7:24 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Nope, I became a mum at 20 and having remarried and had 2 more kids we are in the same boat as SultanofSwing - 50 will be the start of the rest of my life. I think 50 could be the new 20 for me
My wife was 20 when she had her son as well. At the time, I was 19, pissing it up and had no idea I had just become a stepfather
Old May 8th 2013, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
My wife was 20 when she had her son as well. At the time, I was 19, pissing it up and had no idea I had just become a stepfather
24, likewise.
Old May 8th 2013, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by redglade
It's something new we're offering where I work (I'm in Environmental Education). We're aiming it at Middle School aged boys and girls and will be doing stuff like tracking, fishing (including prep and cooking outdoors), knife skills, gps activities, scavenger hunt, plus all the usual games and crafts that you get at camp but themed around the Hunger Games novels. We're based on the University of Houston - Clear Lake campus so have a fabulous location for all of these activities.
Can you do a version for adults, please?
Old May 8th 2013, 8:38 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by steveq
24, likewise.
For his (my son's) sake, it's a good thing it worked out that way. I was much more suited at 25 to be responsible for a child than at 19

Bad thing for me is, because of that comparative closeness in age, he considers himself more of an equal to me than he's entitled to ...
Old May 8th 2013, 8:51 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

For his (my son's) sake, it's a good thing it worked out that way. I was much more suited at 25 to be responsible for a child than at 19

Bad thing for me is, because of that comparative closeness in age, he considers himself more of an equal to me than he's entitled to ...
My ex-boyfriend was one of 10 kids, when his Mum was around 37, she married his step-dad who was at the time 20, 2 years younger than the oldest child, and 4 years older than my boyfriend. That was a weird situation
Old May 8th 2013, 8:54 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by N1cky
My ex-boyfriend was one of 10 kids, when his Mum was around 37, she married his step-dad who was at the time 20, 2 years younger than the oldest child, and 4 years older than my boyfriend. That was a weird situation
Bloody hell
Old May 9th 2013, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

But...if I read your posts correctly, you're only a year younger than his Mum. If you're saying he's a know it all with a smart mouth and a condescending attitude, then it sounds like your son has a textbook case of being a teenager. My daughter is the same way with me - and I've got 30 years on her.
Old May 9th 2013, 4:09 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by redglade
But...if I read your posts correctly, you're only a year younger than his Mum. If you're saying he's a know it all with a smart mouth and a condescending attitude, then it sounds like your son has a textbook case of being a teenager. My daughter is the same way with me - and I've got 30 years on her.
He has all that, he'll be 15 later this year but I just meant he sometimes forgets I'm not his mate and thinks he can get away with more than he actually can.
Old May 9th 2013, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have kids, but i was going to help coordinate a 3 day design exercise with a bunch of middle school kids also up in the Sierras. I had to pull out though, as it conflicts with my appointment for citizenship.

Pretty jealous of the kids though, in them having such a program offered by students from one of the cutting edge design schools in the state.
Old May 9th 2013, 6:32 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

A lot of them are named after Native American tribes. Some are just named after the towns that they are in. I went to camp Nah-Jee Wah as a camper. I worked at camps Poyntelle, Diana Dalmaqua and Camp Lakota.
Old May 9th 2013, 6:33 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

My mother told me it costs nearly $2000 to send me to summer camp for a month. That was in the 70's as well!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.