Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

summa cum laude

summa cum laude

Old Sep 11th 2008, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: summa cum laude

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Here's a simplified way to calculate GPA:

Multiply the number of credit hours for the class by the grade that you received for the class.
So, let's assume your class was 3 credit hours, a grade would have the following points:
'A' = 4 points
'B' = 3 points
'C' = 2 points
'D' = 1 point
'F' = 0 points

So if you received an A for your 3 hour class, you multiply 4x3 = 12 points, if you got a B, multiply 3x3 = 9pts, a C would be 2x3=6pts, etc. Then add up all the points you received for all classes, and then add up the total credit hours you took to complete your degree.

Your GPA is then calculated by dividing your total grade points by the total credit hours. So if your total grade points were 400 and your total credit hours were 100, then your GPA would be 400/100 = 4.0

Don't know if this helps at all given that the grading scale in the UK is typically tougher in the UK. When I studied over there, and transferred my grades back to my US uni, my university considered a B an A, and a C a B.
Well it certainly doesn't help much if you went to a UK university that didn't have "classes", "credit hours" or "grades" ...

I gave up trying to explain this to US employers long ago
Old Sep 11th 2008, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Well it certainly doesn't help much if you went to a UK university that didn't have "classes", "credit hours" or "grades" ...

I gave up trying to explain this to US employers long ago
Yikes. Didn't realize some uni's didn't use a credit hour and grades based system. That calc. wouldn't do you a fat lot of good at all.

Totally agree with another poster about the grades thing though. If the OP is a new grad, it may have some bearing to do some type of US equivalency. However, if the OP has several years of practical, hands on experience, the grades a person got for their class shouldn't matter a hill of beans. IIRC, I wasn't asked what my GPA was, or what grades I received in certain classes, when I was looking for employment after finishing my engineering degree. About the only background check my employers do is checkto make sure I actually did get a degree from my uni.

I may have been asked what software I was exposed to, or concepts/techniques covered in my classes. This probably depends highly on the field in question though.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes. Didn't realize some uni's didn't use a credit hour and grades based system. That calc. wouldn't do you a fat lot of good at all.
Some might use points, in which case they just convert the points into hours, and go from there.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP is a new grad, it may have some bearing to do some type of US equivalency. However, if the OP has several years of practical, hands on experience, the grades a person got for their class shouldn't matter a hill of beans.
My hunch is, US employers are less interested in formal qualifications and more interested in practical abilities, compared to UK employers. I've been in the software/IT field for years now and here, we hire many highly paid individuals who don't have degrees at all. For example, my current 'whiz' - an IT contractor who constantly refuses my requests to come on board as a full-time employee - commands a ridiculous hourly rate (he makes more than me!). The guy is in his 30s and taught himself all he knows. We also have quite a few software folks with 'BA' degrees.

I've also found, when interviewing for jobs myself, that a UK degree is held in hgh esteem by the typical American - they seem to think all UK universities are similar to Oxbridge. It's a prejudice you can enjoy!
Old Sep 11th 2008, 3:49 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Some might use points, in which case they just convert the points into hours, and go from there.
Other just use the HP 5230x printer ....
Old Sep 11th 2008, 11:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Which all goes a bit wonky when you've got some classes worth 20-40 credits...

Most of mine were 10 credit classes, a couple of 5 credit classes, major project was 40 credits in the final year whilst mini major projects were 20 credits in previous years.

No real point in doing a gpa conversion, just suddenly start to look stupid

Here's a simplified way to calculate GPA:

Multiply the number of credit hours for the class by the grade that you received for the class.
So, let's assume your class was 3 credit hours, a grade would have the following points:
'A' = 4 points
'B' = 3 points
'C' = 2 points
'D' = 1 point
'F' = 0 points

So if you received an A for your 3 hour class, you multiply 4x3 = 12 points, if you got a B, multiply 3x3 = 9pts, a C would be 2x3=6pts, etc. Then add up all the points you received for all classes, and then add up the total credit hours you took to complete your degree.

Your GPA is then calculated by dividing your total grade points by the total credit hours. So if your total grade points were 400 and your total credit hours were 100, then your GPA would be 400/100 = 4.0

Don't know if this helps at all given that the grading scale in the UK is typically tougher in the UK. When I studied over there, and transferred my grades back to my US uni, my university considered a B an A, and a C a B.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:59 am
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

Most people who have any time of latin honors go on to get Masters or PhD's so the point really becomes mute. At least that ismy experience when looking at resumes.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Sventare is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my BA from Exeter converted to a GPA by the World Education Service (WES, www.wes.org) because I was thinking about doing an MBA in the US. I graduated with a first and my GPA came out as 3.83/4.00.
The WES does charge a fee, but it's a not-for-profit organization. I had to pay a small admin fee to Exeter Uni. It took a couple of weeks to get the results, as I remember....
Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

AngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really nice

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Having spent a good few months on GPA calculations at work which had already had months of work simplifying them, there is no simplified GPA calculation.

You are all as mad as a pancake anyway

Love this site
Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:51 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Steerpike -- unless you're a new grad, leave the honours off the CV. They'll figure out for themselves that you're bright.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
My hunch is, US employers are less interested in formal qualifications and more interested in practical abilities, compared to UK employers. I've been in the software/IT field for years now and here, we hire many highly paid individuals who don't have degrees at all. For example, my current 'whiz' - an IT contractor who constantly refuses my requests to come on board as a full-time employee - commands a ridiculous hourly rate (he makes more than me!). The guy is in his 30s and taught himself all he knows. We also have quite a few software folks with 'BA' degrees.

I've also found, when interviewing for jobs myself, that a UK degree is held in hgh esteem by the typical American - they seem to think all UK universities are similar to Oxbridge. It's a prejudice you can enjoy!
I kind of agree and disagree....I reckon here, if you do have the experience, all the honors type stuff is moot. However - here, more than anywhere else, you need a "Box Ticker" - in the form of at least a Bachelors - otherwise, even if you are uber-experienced, it can count against you heavily if you cannot tick it.

Of course, there will be one or two exceptions - however, in tough times, you'll find plenty of people with the experience and the degree tick. Interesting you find it the other way round - in the UK, I think there is far far less emphasis on the degree, and you can get away without the tick.