Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for US location

Suggestions for US location

Old Oct 22nd 2021, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suggestions for US location

At one time my husband was working from home in San Diego but had to visit Denver twice a month and also St. Louis.
Having to travel to the airport every week for these office visits became exhausting after a while what with cancellations, delays, missed connections.
If your company is in Dallas why not live in Dallas (and travel to office by car) and you would then only have flights to SF to worry about?
Living in Washington and flying to Dallas and SF a few times a month is not something I'd relish
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MCT567
New employer

i imagine 5-10 years
Have you discussed visas with this new employer?
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

New employer

i imagine 5-10 years

On what visa?
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

MCT567 is an unknown quantity at this point

Will be on a H1-B
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Will be on a H1-B
H-1B is tied to location, so you'll want to be careful if fully remote and moving around...

Also, did you win the lottery yet? If not it's once per year in September time with approx 20% chance of winning...
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 6:45 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by postbox134
H-1B is tied to location, so you'll want to be careful if fully remote and moving around...

Also, did you win the lottery yet? If not it's once per year in September time with approx 20% chance of winning...
No the “lottery” entry for non cap exempt roles is in March, it was 9-21st in 2021. For the Fiscal Year 2022 cap which started October 1st. Assuming the OP is not cap exempt and was not submitted in March 2021, his future employer will submit in March 2022, and assuming they are picked and qualify for the visa to be issued and can get an embassy appointment they can start in October 2022. If they have a US higher degree they may also have better odds, last I calculated a few years ago it was as high as 33% chance of being selected with a higher US degree.

Last edited by tht; Oct 22nd 2021 at 7:03 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wisygreen
Yes, but then you are living in Washington state. It all depends what you are looking for. It is expensive living in California but, for me, it is worth it.
Yes quite right depends what one is looking for- but OP has three children so presumably cost of living an important factor, as well as quality of education.

I lived in California for a while, wonderful weather to be sure. The commute and cost of living though were big negatives, and state of cities another factor.

Of course the easier option, and maybe best for the visa could be to just live in Texas.
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 6:59 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Yes quite right depends what one is looking for- but OP has three children so presumably cost of living an important factor, as well as quality of education.

I lived in California for a while, wonderful weather to be sure. The commute and cost of living though were big negatives, and state of cities another factor.

Of course the easier option, and maybe best for the visa could be to just live in Texas.

And, of course, if there is a spouse they won’t be able to earn on the derivative of that visa.
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
No the “lottery” entry for non cap exempt roles is in March, it was 9-21st in 2021. For the Fiscal Year 2022 cap which started October 1st. Assuming the OP is not cap exempt and was not submitted in March 2021, his future employer will submit in March 2022, and assuming they are picked and qualify for the visa to be issued and can get an embassy appointment they can start in October 2022. If they have a US higher degree they may also have better odds, lest I calculated a few years ago it was as high as 33% chance of being selected with a higher US degree.
Sorry, I totally lost track of time it is March - and I was in it this year! Even so, it's not a short process.
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by morpeth

OK; couple of things…

Aware my wife won’t be able to work

Aware of timescales and yes, q3 22 likely to be the time we’re looking at.

I don’t know a lot about Texas; other than HQ is in Dallas and a smaller office in Austin..

As always, thanks for the comments and suggestions
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

OK; couple of things…

Aware my wife won’t be able to work

Aware of timescales and yes, q3 22 likely to be the time we’re looking at.

I don’t know a lot about Texas; other than HQ is in Dallas and a smaller office in Austin..

As always, thanks for the comments and suggestions
Are you/your employer aware that there's only a 30%ish chance that you can work next year if they put you in. Are they committed to sponsoring your green card?
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by postbox134
Are you/your employer aware that there's only a 30%ish chance that you can work next year if they put you in. Are they committed to sponsoring your green card?
yes and yes
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 10:09 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

yes and yes
why are they not just filing for an immigrant visa?

or if you a senior enough / have specialized skills could they not employ you at home for a year and L1 A/B you? should be much better odds than multiple years entry in to the H1b lottery. Best I got was a US PhD who got it the second entry.

Last edited by tht; Oct 22nd 2021 at 11:21 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2021, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Have you spoken to your employer about health insurance?

Are they going to be able to provide you with comprehensive health insurance even if you do not work where the employer is headquartered?

When hubby was working from home in SD but his company was HQ'd in St. Louis, we had a complex issue with out health coverage.
Old Oct 23rd 2021, 2:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe best to see if you come up in the lottery before getting too involved with details.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.