Reload this Page >

Suggestions for US location

Suggestions for US location

Old Oct 18th 2021, 11:58 am
Just Joined

MCT567 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Suggestions for US location

Hi all
i’ve been offered a role based in the US.

Will need to be able to be in Dallas once a month and San Francisco twice a month.

Also have three children aged 14, 12 and 9 to educate.

I’m looking for any suggestions of location to be based please!

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 18th 2021, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suggestions for US location

Originally Posted by MCT567
Hi all

Will need to be able to be in Dallas once a month and San Francisco twice a month.

Thanks in advance!
Southern California. Burbank, Orange County, Long Beach and LAX airports all fly non-stop to SF/Dallas IMHO. Orange County is family-oriented.

Last edited by destone; Oct 18th 2021 at 12:20 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2021, 2:12 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Thanks in advance!
Depending on where your employers paying you, being Texas resident may save you a lot on your personal tax bill (or not if your employed in another state). It would save 1 of your 3 monthly commutes. Never been to Dallas, but Austin was nice when I visited. Thought it would all be like cowboy movies, but it was lush and green and we had a great time on the lakes there.
Old Oct 18th 2021, 2:52 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I also recommend Austin, lived there for 2 years and loved it. Not a cheap place to live any more but more affordable than California with great air connections.
Old Oct 18th 2021, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, you need to provide more information for a good answer. There's really a lot of places that have flights direct to both, or you could live in SF or Dallas, and those two places are very different, especially politically.

What things are you and your family interested in doing in the US? Do you like hot places? How much traffic are you willing to put up with? Family-friendly suburbia? How much culture do you want? Museums or rodeos? Skiing (not available in either place, but is within flying distance)? Hiking? Lots of other questions. What are your politics?
Old Oct 19th 2021, 6:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, what he said. ^^^^

The US is a huge place so you’ll need to narrow it down a bit, even knowing what kind of climate or landscape you’re after would help. Plus housing budget - presumably the job will pay the same no matter where you choose to live? So if you can give people a rough idea of what you’ll have to spend on rent that will help, there will be a big difference depending on area.

Congrats on the job.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

California1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

I also sent you a PM with more details

3 kids and relo to USA

Make sure you are being paid extremely well

When I arrived with 4 and 6 yr old the earnings and tax savings over 15 years paid for the $500,000 college bill

Unless kids are going to state colleges the cost of private university education will eat away your income
Old Oct 19th 2021, 7:15 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Thanks in advance!
I realise that as someone outside of the US, I may be unaware of many factors, but I've been reading a lot about Seattle and Washington State being a good place to look. Looking at flights,SEA to SFO is about 2hrs and SEA to DFW is about 4hrs. And when things open up, Canada is a short hop away, and the UK is about a 9.5hr flight.

Obviously there's stuff I don't know, like what interests you all have or what your budget is, but I figure you're gonna rent at first anyway. That gives you time to look at other options.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the tax situation, but Oregon may be worth a look. Eugene is a nice town with direct flights to SFO. Bend has a good balance of city amenities but close to mountains, lakes, etc.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 8:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by California1967
I also sent you a PM with more details

3 kids and relo to USA

Make sure you are being paid extremely well
You are a newbie to the world of BE. To enlighten you, private messages cannot be sent and/or read until you have three posts to your credit. The OP only has one.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

California1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks good to know, I guess when they have three posts they will receive it
Old Oct 20th 2021, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

A permanent move? A couple of years only? With your current employer or a new employer?
Old Oct 20th 2021, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Thanks in advance!
In terms of logistics of flying to those two cities that can be looked at easily, but there are so many other factors such as your budget for example. There are areas of the United States that can be quite economic for housing that might make an extra hour or two flying or commuting to the airport worth it- though in general it would seem being in a western state for a start being a given.

Type of lifestyle a factor, especially with three children. There are areas of eastern Washington, more rural areas of Oregon, the north Idaho Panhandle, that are very beautiful with relatively inexpensive housing, a lot of outdoor activities. Seattle is very expensive. If you prefer the heat Las Vegas is an option, and with its growth is much more than simply a tourist destination, perhaps also Phoenix if you like the heat. Education for the children can be very challenging in America, so budget or location of private schools can be a factor. Spokane has direct flights to both San Francisco to Dallas, though I wouldn't recommend living in Spokane itself but outside the city. Eugene has direct flights to both San Francisco and to Dallas.

Good luck !
Old Oct 20th 2021, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

wisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond repute

Sacramento area. Train or drive to San Francisco and local airport for regular flights to Dallas. Much less expensive than Bay area. Day trips to skiing at Tahoe.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wisygreen
Sacramento area. Train or drive to San Francisco and local airport for regular flights to Dallas. Much less expensive than Bay area. Day trips to skiing at Tahoe.
Considering that California has a state income tax of 6 to 9%, and Washington State 0% income tax; the higher cost of living in California; it would seem for two trips a month to San Francisco that living outside of Seattle or Spokane makes better financial sense by far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.