British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Suggestions please.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/suggestions-please-360436/)

woodsey Mar 10th 2006 10:04 pm

Suggestions please..

The girl scouts in our area have a 'nibble fest' each year where all the different troops represent a different country and make food from said country..
Last year I posted a thread commenting on how the troop that represented England chose 'cheese and pineapple on sticks' as a true representation of what us English folk eat.. :eek: We were told that the Queen eats then on a regular basis. :D
This year my daughter's troop has been given the task of providing the 'English' food, so what can they make? Preferably something that can be made in bulk in advance and kept warm to be served up once we get there.
They suggested crumpets but it would be too time consuming toasting them all, about 500 people attended last year.

BigDavyG Mar 10th 2006 10:08 pm

Re: Suggestions please..

Originally Posted by woodsey
The girl scouts in our area have a 'nibble fest' each year where all the different troops represent a different country and make food from said country..
Last year I posted a thread commenting on how the troop that represented England chose 'cheese and pineapple on sticks' as a true representation of what us English folk eat.. :eek: We were told that the Queen eats then on a regular basis. :D
This year my daughter's troop has been given the task of providing the 'English' food, so what can they make? Preferably something that can be made in bulk in advance and kept warm to be served up once we get there.
They suggested crumpets but it would be too time consuming toasting them all, about 500 people attended last year.

No brainer - sausage rolls
Cheese and pickle for vegetarians

Oh if you want to be really lazy cucumber sandwiches, but they just aren't nice.

Now that i've started - yorkshire puds, mince pies (xmas ones) - i'll stop now - its almost home time.
Nice sausage rolls would be good though - in fact i might call over myself if you knock a few of them up :)

Rompers Mar 10th 2006 10:13 pm

Depends on how much work you want to do but another idea is fish and chips - oven bake chips and fish nuggets then put them in paper cones wrapped in newspaper, served with salt and vinegar obviously.

woodsey Mar 10th 2006 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
No brainer - sausage rolls
Cheese and pickle for vegetarians

Oh if you want to be really lazy cucumber sandwiches, but they just aren't nice.

Now that i've started - yorkshire puds, mince pies (xmas ones) - i'll stop now - its almost home time.
Nice sausage rolls would be good though - in fact i might call over myself if you knock a few of them up :)

I did think about sausage rolls, but where could I get proper English sausage meat?
Strangely enough, my first thought was a chicken balti.. :o well it does come from Birmingham. :D

Eskimo Mar 10th 2006 10:16 pm

Why do you give a shit you're in England ! its me that will have to sort it out .. the decision has been made - Angel Delight

woodsey Mar 10th 2006 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Why do you give a shit you're in England ! its me that will have to sort it out .. the decision has been made - Angel Delight

you are not feeding them Angel Delight.. :mad:

Rompers Mar 10th 2006 10:18 pm

beans on toast?

gruffbrown Mar 10th 2006 10:21 pm

I agree with Davy, cocktail sausage rolls, you've got to keep their saturated fat levels up. :D

Eskimo Mar 10th 2006 10:22 pm

you have no say in the matter, I am in charge - anyway its either that or fish paste sarnies

gruffbrown Mar 10th 2006 10:24 pm

fish paste sarnies

And if you want to show them how dead classy we are, put a couple of slices of dried out cucumber in them :rolleyes:

britvic Mar 10th 2006 10:26 pm

I went to one of them Brit stalls, they were serving Tea from the pot with China Cups & Saucers, selection of British Biscuits, bit OTT with the sugar lumps and tongs :o

woodsey Mar 10th 2006 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I agree with Davy, cocktail sausage rolls, you've got to keep their saturated fat levels up. :D

ooooohh, 'cocktail' sausage rolls, you are posh really aren't you.. :D

clydegirl Mar 10th 2006 10:42 pm

Woodsey are you cooking or your other half?
Go to http://www.Be-Ro.com
They have some lovely British baking ideas.
Mind you if Eskimo's cooking maybe he should do something easier :D

Eskimo Mar 10th 2006 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by clydegirl
Mind you if Eskimo's cooking maybe he should do something easier :D

as I said Angel Delight :D

clydegirl Mar 10th 2006 10:45 pm

as I said Angel Delight :D

I'm sure you could rustle up some sausage rolls.