Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for an area to suit me?

Suggestions for an area to suit me?

Old Jul 31st 2011, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suggestions for an area to suit me?

I am afraid that the OP's plans to move to the US are, to quote Grouch Marx, "... still in embryo, a town on the edge of wishful thinking".
Old Jul 31st 2011, 8:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peskypete
Actually I would do anything to get into the USA...
Really? Anything? Would you lie? Cheat? Steal? Kill? Perhaps I misunderstand the meaning of the word "anything"?

Ian
Old Aug 1st 2011, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Really? Anything? Would you lie? Cheat? Steal? Kill? Perhaps I misunderstand the meaning of the word "anything"?

Ian
Is there a Klondike bar involved?
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:56 am
Just Joined

peskypete is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
That wouldn't get you much in LA...and owning property won't get you a visa to the US...so...
I think you misunderstand. I have enough for the 500k investment in Jay Peak, and then $350k - $400k on a property to live in.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 10:45 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you misunderstand. I have enough for the 500k investment in Jay Peak, and then $350k - $400k on a property to live in.
Subway franchise on the east coast/midwest....
Old Aug 1st 2011, 12:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said, $350K won't buy you much of a gaff in LA...
Old Aug 1st 2011, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

3) Fairly good schools
In a previous post you wrote "i can not go to university". So why, exactly, would you care about "fairly good schools"?

Ian
Old Aug 1st 2011, 2:12 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

None of my business but I have some idle time:

7) Im in the computer proffesion, but am also into property development
I'm needs an apostrophe.

Proffesion is spelt Profession.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

peskypete is an unknown quantity at this point

Ian, even if I don't have a family of my own at the moment, it doesn't mean I do not want one ever. I may be young but I want to settle down somewhere.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Pete, you should be thinking about broadening your horizons, travelling, seeing the world, getting an education or a trade, working out what you are going to do with your life .... rather than thinking about buying property and schools for kids ..that can all come later... the world is a great place - you have the funds go enjoy it now
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

Ian, even if I don't have a family of my own at the moment, it doesn't mean I do not want one ever. I may be young but I want to settle down somewhere.
You're 19... why on earth would you want to "settle down"? That's what you do afterwards!

Let me give you some advice... whether you want it or not. Your posts suggest that you want everything in life to be decided now. For whatever reason, it sounds as though you're desperate to get to the US. I've no idea why... but when you're desperate, you make poor decisions. It's that simple.

Your list, sadly, sounds as though you believe the media hype that suggests that the US is the best place on earth to live. I can assure you, it isn't. Other than the US, there are 195 other countries in the world and while I might dismiss 75 or so as too poor, too violent, or too remote... there's still a heck of a lot of real estate in the world to explore!

Ian
Old Aug 1st 2011, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Pete, you should be thinking about broadening your horizons, travelling, seeing the world, getting an education or a trade, working out what you are going to do with your life .... rather than thinking about buying property and schools for kids ..that can all come later... the world is a great place - you have the funds go enjoy it now
I didn't even think about good school areas when I did have kids but they weren't school age luckily we ended up in a good one by chance.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 10:35 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I didn't even think about good school areas when I did have kids but they weren't school age luckily we ended up in a good one by chance.
I didn't either. By the time the first one was ready for school, we had outgrown the house and were ready to move anyway.