British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Sugarland, TX area (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/sugarland-tx-area-712864/)

Sharron_ Apr 11th 2011 5:20 am

Sugarland, TX area

What are the very good school districts in or around Sugarland?.

Also where is a nice area to live...not too built up?.

And what's the weather like there in comparison to Los Angeles?.

Thanks everyone.

1chumly Apr 11th 2011 11:13 am

Re: Sugarland, TX area

There are other people on here from Houston but not sure who (if any) are in the Sugarland area. You should also try
http://www.city-data.com/forum/houston/
They will tell you everything you need to know (and then some probably!)
I haven't spent time in LA so I am not familiar with the weather there. All I can tell you is Houston is very hot and humid for most of the year. It is brutal. I am a cold weather person though so I am probably not the best person to give an opinion on it. Winter, if you can call it that, is usually pretty pleasant.

tigerbaywarrior Apr 11th 2011 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Sharron_ (Post 9297429)

Thanks everyone.

Can't speak for Sugarland but 'nice' areas are further North of Houston.

Kingwood/Lake Houston area, Spring, Woodlands.

scrubbedexpat097 Apr 11th 2011 2:18 pm

Thanks everyone.

Sugarland is, in my opinion, like a "newtown". Lots and lots of stores and restaurants, all with the same brick facade, repeated every few hundred feet with very similar sub-divisions built behind them and the freeway.

It's connivent for having all you need close at hand but if you want more rural then it's not the place for you.

As for weather, well it's hot and humid probably at least 9 months of the year and then we get a nice couple of months of very pleasant weather. Although this last winter I think was cooler for more days than normal and we even had some very hard icy frosts which is fairly unusual.

Do you have to live in Sugarland?

Sharron_ Apr 11th 2011 4:17 pm

We really need to be living either in Sugarland or fairly close to it.

We will probably be renting a home to begin with, as the move may not be permanent. It's kinda up in the air at the moment!.

But I am really interested in good school districts.

Thanks.

ChocolateBabz Apr 11th 2011 4:57 pm

We live in Pearland which isn't too far from Sugarland. I like going down to the mall there and the 'town center'. It always seems to be quite green with plenty of trees compared to Pearland. I don't know anything about their school districts though sorry. city-data.com is a good source of info as someone else suggested or greatschools.org. It looks as though Sugarland is mostly zoned in Fort Bend ISD.

scrubbedexpat097 Apr 11th 2011 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 9298516)
We live in Pearland which isn't too far from Sugarland. I like going down to the mall there and the 'town center'. It always seems to be quite green with plenty of trees compared to Pearland. I don't know anything about their school districts though sorry. city-data.com is a good source of info as someone else suggested or greatschools.org. It looks as though Sugarland is mostly zoned in Fort Bend ISD.

Fort Bend ISD are having big budget problems at the moment, lots of teachers being layed off and some schools may be closing. As for how good the school system is... I couldn't answer that. Sorry:o

steve100100 Apr 11th 2011 11:31 pm

Thanks everyone.

I like Sugar Land. We are moving there from DFW.

Weather? Are you talking about the valley or LA itself? Summer temps in Houston will probably be about the same as the valley but with much higher humidity. I used to live in Glendale.

Sugar Land has a nice downtown area, the "Town Center". Lots of shops, restaurants and bars. It's a nice area to hang out in the evenings. Pleasant to walk around.

It's built up but it's possible to get a more rural lifestyle without being too far away from facilities. There's is open country not too far away.