British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   It sucks (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/sucks-758394/)

LA2JHB May 15th 2012 6:32 pm

It sucks

The grass is not greener. I moved here in September after 5 years in Johannesburg and before that 8 years in the USA. The deterioration here is unbelievable. We are moving on shortly hopefully to Oz. Even SA is in certain respects better that here. What sucks:
1. the weather-it has rained almost constantly since we have been here and yet they have a hosepipe ban
2. The people. Arrogrant, ignorant about the outside world. Think everything here is great when it is not
3. the schools/kids. Complete breakdown in terms of values/control. 13 year olds thinking they are pregnant, total lack of discipline
4. Healthcare. Horrific in comparison to SA private medical care/USA
5. Its boring, depressing and dismal

the positives
1. Its relatively safe.
Thats about it.
Biggest mistake coming here.

Sue May 16th 2012 2:00 pm

Re: It sucks

Hi

Sorry to read that you are not settling well into the UK. Seems you have moved about quite a bit and not been entirely happy where ever you have moved to. So best of luck with Australia I hope it works out a better fit for you and your family. Maybe 4th time will be the charm :fingerscrossed:

As we all know once an expat always an expat, it's hard to move away from the UK and it's hard to move back to it. Sometimes I think it's not so much that the country has changed, but we as individuals have different needs and wants from when we last lived in the UK. Living abroad changes us.

I'm not saying it's all sweetness and light in the UK, but I visit often and all my family and my husbands family live there (mainly the SW and Wales) and they are all enjoy living in the UK and live in some of the most scenic places. I don't think you can beat the rolling green hills. :)

Anyway, once again, the best of luck on your move to Australia

christmasoompa May 16th 2012 3:24 pm

Whereabouts exactly are you? I'd be intrigued to know.

Originally Posted by LA2JHB (Post 10062372)
1. the weather-it has rained almost constantly since we have been here and yet they have a hosepipe ban

That's because it's been so dry over the past two years. It has rained lots this winter/spring, but then last spring/summer was unbelievably dry for the UK - we were having a new roof put on our house and out of the 5 months it took, there were only 3 days where the roofer couldn't work due to rain.

3. the schools/kids. Complete breakdown in terms of values/control. 13 year olds thinking they are pregnant, total lack of discipline

Rubbish. That might be your experience of the school your child(ren) are in, but what a sweeping generalisation! Certainly isn't my experience, and there is far from a 'lack of discipline' at my children's school, in fact I think it's often too tough on them! Good emphasis on manners etc though, they even get awards for them, which is great.

As you've only been in the UK for 6 months, I don't see how you can say that every school or child is awful?

I'm sure it is. But one minor difference.........it's free. :confused:

I wish you the best of luck in Oz, although I strongly suspect you'll be posting from there in a year or two moaning about it as well as you have done about every other country you've lived in.

britwhore May 16th 2012 4:06 pm

The reason for a hosepipe ban in the south east is mainly due to the fact that the south east is built on limestone (chalk) which is porous. No matter how much rain we get we can only keep "hold" of so much. Also with the amount of farming happening in the SE the use of water is very high.

Health care better in the USA?!?!? Errmmm......OK....if you have the money.

Lorry1 May 16th 2012 4:25 pm

The grass is not greener. I moved here in September after 5 years in Johannesburg and before that 8 years in the USA. The deterioration here is unbelievable. We are moving on shortly hopefully to Oz. Even SA is in certain respects better that here. What sucks:
2. The people. Arrogrant, ignorant about the outside world. Think everything here is great when it is not
5. Its boring, depressing and dismal

the positives
1. Its relatively safe.
Thats about it.
Biggest mistake coming here.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out :sneaky:

Good job you're leaving, it means one less person moaning!

chris955 May 16th 2012 5:48 pm

You beat me to it Lorry, dont let the door smack you in the arse. The UK will most definitely be a better place without you.
I'm not really sure where the place is you are describing because it sure as hell isnt where we have just come back to. Everyone we have dealt with has been happy, helpful and cheerful but I do think you get what you give, if you come across as a miserable old git then you get treated like one.

Sue May 16th 2012 5:52 pm

We all have differing opinions and experiences, but there's no need to get personal ;)

chris955 May 16th 2012 5:55 pm

Fair enough but this bloke is so obviously a troll he deserves no less. He doesnt like it here but 90% of what he is saying is ridiculous, we can all see that.

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 10064756)
We all have differing opinions and experiences, but there's no need to get personal ;)

Sally Redux May 16th 2012 5:58 pm

It's good to know the people there think everything is great :thumbsup:

'Horrific' healthcare? I have to agree this is a troll.

chris955 May 16th 2012 6:12 pm

The trouble with trolls is they go overboard and make it too obvious and therefore have no credibility.
Noone in their right mind would say everything is great here by any means but after spending the last 11 years in Australia i have come to the conclusion there is no utopia, not by a long shot.
As an aside we spent a day in Herefordshire yesterday, what a beautiful part of the country that is.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10064777)
It's good to know the people there think everything is great :thumbsup:

'Horrific' healthcare? I have to agree this is a troll.

Sally Redux May 16th 2012 6:16 pm

Looking at his posts, a pattern emerges. In May 2007 he moved from California "being sick of the US after 8 years living there."

chris955 May 16th 2012 6:20 pm

Ah right, i wonder how long Australia will keep him happy ?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10064815)
Looking at his posts, a pattern emerges. In May 2007 he moved from California "being sick of the US after 8 years living there."

Sally Redux May 16th 2012 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 10064821)
Ah right, i wonder how long Australia will keep him happy ?

There might be a moon colony by then.

chris955 May 16th 2012 6:23 pm

He probably doesnt like cheese :-)

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10064826)
There might be a moon colony by then.

Sally Redux May 16th 2012 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 10064828)
He probably doesnt like cheese :-)

:rofl:

gillyd65 May 16th 2012 6:45 pm

There is definitely a pattern here, oh just realised could this person be working for the 'Daily Mail'?

Sue May 16th 2012 7:16 pm

I'm closing this thread, its not serving any purpose.

However, in closing I would like to add that just because someone feels strongly about a subject it does not automatically make them a troll. Everyone is so quick to jump on the troll bandwagon these. A troll is someone who intentionally goes around posting in such a manner as to antagonize and wind up other members. I don't believe that this is the case here. But baiting someone else and calling them a troll could indeed be seen as troll-like behavior in itself ;) :ohmy:

To the OP. Clearly this section of the forum is not for you. You have stated yourself that you are now moving away from the UK, so unless you have some constructive advice/experiences to share I would respectfully ask that you cease with the generalizations as it's not helpful. For your upcoming move may I suggest this forum.

Thanks for reading.

This thread is being tucked up in bed now, with a nice cup of ovaltine and a Famous Five book :D