Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

a stupid question about my speakers

a stupid question about my speakers

Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:46 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default a stupid question about my speakers

I am packing (pray for me!!)

I have ipod speakers that i love, and I have been stressing for weeks that I will have to fork out to buy new ones in the US, I am stupid and have only just realised to look at the plug.

It says:

Switching adapter
input 100-240v
output 12v------1.5A

This is ok to take right? it will work???????? All i gotta do is buy a 2 pin adapter???

If this is indeed the case - am i ok to pack this in my suitcase or are they funny about electrical things????

can you tell i havent done this before???
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:14 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: a stupid question about my speakers

Originally Posted by mellybrown

I have ipod speakers that i love, and I have been stressing for weeks that I will have to fork out to buy new ones in the US, I am stupid and have only just realised to look at the plug.

It says:

Switching adapter
input 100-240v
output 12v------1.5A

This is ok to take right? it will work???????? All i gotta do is buy a 2 pin adapter???

If this is indeed the case - am i ok to pack this in my suitcase or are they funny about electrical things????

The 120-240 volt reference indicates that it's dual voltage, so it should be fine. Buy the adapter plug in the UK.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:17 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
The 120-240 volt reference indicates that it's dual voltage, so it should be fine. Buy the adapter plug in the UK.
THANK YOU

are they cheaper in the uk???? I just need the little travel adapter thing right?
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:22 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

are they cheaper in the uk???? I just need the little travel adapter thing right?
It's not a function of price. It's always going to be easier to find an adapter plug in the country that uses the plugs that are in need of adapting. (If it was an American device, I'd advise buying the adapter plug in the US for the same reason.)
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

If it's a power pack that plugs into your speakers you could probably replace it over here.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

it's just not cricket is a jewel in the roughit's just not cricket is a jewel in the roughit's just not cricket is a jewel in the roughit's just not cricket is a jewel in the rough

No problem putting them in your suitcase. I took some computer/ipod speakers complete with sub woofer back to the UK for my dad at Christmas as they were half the price here.

Good luck with the packing - fortunately I had my mum to help me
Old Feb 28th 2008, 3:27 pm
Resident Sillycow

Originally Posted by it's just not cricket
No problem putting them in your suitcase. I took some computer/ipod speakers complete with sub woofer back to the UK for my dad at Christmas as they were half the price here.

Good luck with the packing - fortunately I had my mum to help me
wicked thanks - have just took a load of clothes out so they will fit in lol - i may not have anything to wear but i will at least have something to listen to!!
Old Feb 28th 2008, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Eh that's what shops are for, and there is an outlet mall on every corner over here.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 3:35 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

funny you should post this. I finally got my ipod dock/speakers out after we just moved to a new rental house over here - and just plugged it straight in with a travel plug adapter! ipod is as dead as a dodo - so will have to wait to see if it works once it has some juice!
Old Feb 28th 2008, 4:06 pm
Resident Sillycow

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Eh that's what shops are for, and there is an outlet mall on every corner over here.
I didnt want to have to buy a new set tho - I love these and they are practically brand new!!
Old Feb 28th 2008, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

I meant for the clothes! Plus Urban Outfitters here is a decent price if you like their stuff. It's not an exclusively priced store like it is in London.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 6:17 pm
Resident Sillycow

I meant for the clothes! Plus Urban Outfitters here is a decent price if you like their stuff. It's not an exclusively priced store like it is in London.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

CLOTHESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I actually do like urban outfitters but find it a bit expensive - maybe I can get the hubby the star wars tshirt he was after that i refused to pay 30 quid for!!!!!!!
Old Feb 28th 2008, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Was it this one? $28.
http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...=true&color=01
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:11 pm
Resident Sillycow

OMG $28!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

That can be his first pressie!!!!!!

Stoopid UK prices - THANK YOU !!!!
Old Feb 28th 2008, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

You are welcome as always.
Shopping is pretty much what I do best. Can't shop for myself anymore so might as well shop for others!