British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Stupid question about cheques (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/stupid-question-about-cheques-673542/)

MadRad Jun 22nd 2010 5:59 pm

Stupid question about cheques

Our US bank has for some reason sent us a cheque book (and charged 17 bucks for the privilege!!) The cheques have our address printed on them.

We're currently in rented, but if we buy a house and move, can we still use these cheques even with the wrong address on them?

Want to check before I go off and moan at the bank!

Thanks

Noorah101 Jun 22nd 2010 6:22 pm

Re: Stupid question about cheques

Originally Posted by MadRad (Post 8649440)
Our US bank has for some reason sent us a cheque book (and charged 17 bucks for the privilege!!) The cheques have our address printed on them.

We're currently in rented, but if we buy a house and move, can we still use these cheques even with the wrong address on them?

Want to check before I go off and moan at the bank!

Thanks

Yes. Just cross out your old pre-printed address, and handwrite your new information on the check.

Rene

dunroving Jun 22nd 2010 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 8649486)
Yes. Just cross out your old pre-printed address, and handwrite your new information on the check.

Rene

Or to save hassle, you could get a rubber stamp made with your new address, I don't think they cost much. You could then stamp a load in advance to save holding up the line at Wal-Mart. ;)

sir_eccles Jun 22nd 2010 7:37 pm

Is anything particularly bad going to happen if you just leave the old address as it is?

Duncan Roberts Jun 22nd 2010 7:47 pm

You may have problems depending on how the store accepts checks. If they use a drivers license and the addresses don't match then they won't accept the check. They may not accept a check with a handwritten address either, a big store I used to work at wouldn't. Simple way of avoiding it is don't use checks!

MsElui Jun 22nd 2010 8:00 pm

we had a great pile of checks left over from our first batch in our 4 month rental. (think they sent us 8 books of them?) Im STILL using them 2 years on and ive never had a single issue yet. i think im on the last book now so will get the correct address on the new ones.

nb- i dont use checks in shops - ever. just for paying bills and sending through the post.

fsm Jun 22nd 2010 8:35 pm

In the last three years I have not even used a book of cheques, my HOA is about all I use them for now.

Norri Jun 22nd 2010 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 8649648)
we had a great pile of checks left over from our first batch in our 4 month rental. (think they sent us 8 books of them?) Im STILL using them 2 years on and ive never had a single issue yet. i think im on the last book now so will get the correct address on the new ones.

nb- i dont use checks in shops - ever. just for paying bills and sending through the post.

I'm still working on my first check book from 4 years ago, they have my old address on them and nobody has complained yet but they all go in the post to IRS etc.

neil Jun 22nd 2010 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by MadRad (Post 8649440)

And remember if you do ever want more, your bank isn't usually the cheapest place to get them. I got our last lot from the Costco website.

Steerpike Jun 23rd 2010 5:43 am

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 8649648)

Precisely ... anyone using a check in a store these days should be shot. It takes FOREVER to process. I wish there was a lane at the grocery store with a sign 'only stand in this line if you want to wait forever while dumb-ass in front of you starts to fill out a check AFTER the entire transaction is complete, and fumbles to extract their ID'.

Also, on check's used for bills - I never bother filling out the amount in words; I just write the numbers in both places. Never had a check returned :) . Come to think of it, though - with online bill-pay, I now write no more than 1 check a month even for bills.

Trivia: UK 'cheque' = US 'check' EXCEPT "Travelers Cheques".

robin1234 Jun 23rd 2010 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 8650534)
Precisely ... anyone using a check in a store these days should be shot. It takes FOREVER to process. I wish there was a lane at the grocery store with a sign 'only stand in this line if you want to wait forever while dumb-ass in front of you starts to fill out a check AFTER the entire transaction is complete, and fumbles to extract their ID'.

Also, on check's used for bills - I never bother filling out the amount in words; I just write the numbers in both places. Never had a check returned :) . Come to think of it, though - with online bill-pay, I now write no more than 1 check a month even for bills.

I agree with you about checks in the supermarket etc; why do people do that? I cannot imagine what set of circumstances are in place that would motivate someone to use a check in a store. No cash? No debit card? No credit card?? NONE of the above? I don't mind paying $10 (I get mine from the bank.. a bit more expensive, I know..) for a new supply of cheques every three or four years; but those folks who use them to pay for gas, groceries etc. must be ordering new checks every few months!!

As for the usual practice of writing the amount in numbers and in words -- I assume it is (a) to protect you from someone who could change the number and (b) to avoid any confusion that might arise from poor, scribbled handwriting.. if all the data entry person has is numbers, they might read your zero as a nine etc. ??

Duncan Roberts Jun 23rd 2010 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 8651433)
No cash? No debit card? No credit card?? NONE of the above?

There are a few places around us that are check or cash only including a grocery store chain. I rarely carry cash and I refuse to use a check so I just don't go in them!

Steerpike Jun 23rd 2010 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 8651433)
As for the usual practice of writing the amount in numbers and in words -- I assume it is (a) to protect you from someone who could change the number and (b) to avoid any confusion that might arise from poor, scribbled handwriting.. if all the data entry person has is numbers, they might read your zero as a nine etc. ??

Oh, it's absolutely for your protection. And I'd do it if I were writing a check to 'Joe on Ebay' or similar. But when I'm paying $95 to my local electric utility, I just can't be arsed to write 'Ninety Five and 00/100' ...

helwardman Jun 23rd 2010 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 8651767)
Oh, it's absolutely for your protection. And I'd do it if I were writing a check to 'Joe on Ebay' or similar. But when I'm paying $95 to my local electric utility, I just can't be arsed to write 'Ninety Five and 00/100' ...

Yes because doing all that writing must be SO tiring :lol:

dunroving Jun 23rd 2010 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 8650534)

- except in Utah, where they should be given their chosen method of execution.