British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Stupid misinformed tw*ts at the 900 #! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/stupid-misinformed-tw%2Ats-900-a-316920/)

callé Jul 29th 2005 9:11 pm

Stupid misinformed tw*ts at the 900 #!

sorry, but its so frustrating not being able to call the embassy in Washington anymore. That 2.10 a minute rubbish calling the 900 number and then they dont seem to know what they are talking about. I am all sorted for my return home, but I have two grown sons who want to follow next year. They where born here, but as it states on the website, they can claim British citizenship if born after 1961 and before 1983 to a British born mother. So calling them today to make sure I had all the information and current correct fees for my sons to submit, I was told that they are not qualified and had to have a British father. Which I know is not true. But it just annoys me because what of someone calling who doesnt know better? It could change their life. It just seems something of such importance should be made known to the ones answering those phones....And she waisted my money on the call :mad:
ok, just had to rant. sorry :)

serdwin Jul 29th 2005 9:36 pm

Re: Stupid misinformed tw*ts at the 900 #!

Originally Posted by callé
sorry, but its so frustrating not being able to call the embassy in Washington anymore. That 2.10 a minute rubbish calling the 900 number and then they dont seem to know what they are talking about. I am all sorted for my return home, but I have two grown sons who want to follow next year. They where born here, but as it states on the website, they can claim British citizenship if born after 1961 and before 1983 to a British born mother. So calling them today to make sure I had all the information and current correct fees for my sons to submit, I was told that they are not qualified and had to have a British father. Which I know is not true. But it just annoys me because what of someone calling who doesnt know better? It could change their life. It just seems something of such importance should be made known to the ones answering those phones....And she waisted my money on the call :mad:

I totally agree....and would like to know if it was an American, Englishman or other talking to you on the phone....just curious....I'd love to have that job and would research before I told someone a bunch of sh*t. grrrrrr don't blame you. :beer:

callé Jul 29th 2005 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by serdwin
I totally agree....and would like to know if it was an American, Englishman or other talking to you on the phone....just curious....I'd love to have that job and would research before I told someone a bunch of sh*t. grrrrrr don't blame you. :beer:

Uuhhh... She was British. Even worse, huh? Had it been something simple that she was misinformed on it would have passed. But this is something so important!

ladyofthelake Jul 29th 2005 9:45 pm

I can feel your anger from here. :scared:
I would be so pissed off too. Is there anywhere or how you can complain?

callé Jul 29th 2005 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
I can feel your anger from here. :scared:
I would be so pissed off too. Is there anywhere or how you can complain?

I dont know. But it would be nice to at least be able to let someone know. Just would hate to think of other grown children of British mothers thinking that they cannot claim their British nationality, just because they phone the embassy and are told 'no'.

Celtic_Angel Jul 29th 2005 10:04 pm

I dont know. But it would be nice to at least be able to let someone know. Just would hate to think of other grown children of British mothers thinking that they cannot claim their British nationality, just because they phone the embassy and are told 'no'.

wow you're coming really close to being in the U.K! :)

Sorry to hear about this headache, it's funny but just the other day on another thread JAJ told me that many people can be misinformed by the people working at the embassy :mad: ....they pretty much told me that to get registration of my children's Birth wasn't worth the paper it was printed on and just to go ahead and get them a U.k passport.... :rolleyes:

I guess the lesson here is to get your info from several sources starting with the Website....and we all know how confusing that can be :(

TouristTrap Jul 29th 2005 10:24 pm

I've come to the conclusion that they all do it on purpose, no matter what country you are enquiring about. There can be no other explanation.

callé Jul 30th 2005 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
wow you're coming really close to being in the U.K! :)

Sorry to hear about this headache, it's funny but just the other day on another thread JAJ told me that many people can be misinformed by the people working at the embassy :mad: ....they pretty much told me that to get registration of my children's Birth wasn't worth the paper it was printed on and just to go ahead and get them a U.k passport.... :rolleyes:

I guess the lesson here is to get your info from several sources starting with the Website....and we all know how confusing that can be :(

I have only three months to go!! :)
I cant believe they are allowed to give people the wrong information. The web sites are a bit confusing too. What would we do without this forum?? :)

jaytee Jul 30th 2005 7:59 am

The problem is that some British people are jealously gaurding their country's citizenship, voting, banking etc. to the point of misinformation. For instance, a town councilman told me that, "We don't allow Americans to vote," which is technically not correct. It is just a case of no or denial being the preferred answer out of caution, pride, what have you.

Fig Newton Jul 31st 2005 7:13 am

Originally Posted by jaytee
The problem is that some British people are jealously gaurding their country's citizenship, voting, banking etc. to the point of misinformation. For instance, a town councilman told me that, "We don't allow Americans to vote," which is technically not correct. It is just a case of no or denial being the preferred answer out of caution, pride, what have you.

On a related note, many countries have laws that restrict voting privileges for people that have mutiple citizenships or if they live outside of the country. Sensible laws.