Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Stuff trashed by 'power event'

Stuff trashed by 'power event'

Old Jun 6th 2010, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stuff trashed by 'power event'

Ok so Friday night the metal cable from the house to the transformer pole snapped, putting all the weight on the cable carrying the 'lectric. [Note: Although this cable 'goes through the trees' I checked and no branches etc were putting weight on the cable.] This somehow sent 250v through everything that was plugged in and fried loads of stuff. DVD player, loads of light bulbs/fixtures, a window A/C unit, my quad-core/8GB tower PC amongst other stuff. All the surge strips popped as well and had to be replaced (at least they appeared to have saved some stuff).

I had three UPSs in the house...

1) Did its job, both UPS and PC are fine
2) Did its job, both UPS and network equipment are fine [gigabit switch, router, wireless AP, VOIP adapter, cordless phone]
3) Did NOT do it's job, not only did it fry, but took the most expensive bit of kit with it, my tower PC. I am hoping it's just the PSU that popped, and not the mobo/CPU/RAM too. Have tested the hard disks on another machine and they seem ok. I am still looking for the receipt for this UPS.... since it's supposed to warranty anything plugged into it against this kind of thing.

Question:

Since the problem that caused this issue was outside the house and is the responsibility of the electric company, can I claim back for the stuff that blew from them?

The guy who came to repair the cable took one look at it and said "that's an OLD cable...." If it's their responsibility and they didn't maintain it properly......??

I guess this is what happens in a country where they are allowed to convey your electricity to you above ground across bits of string.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Jun 6th 2010 at 10:19 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 11:29 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stuff trashed by 'power event'

Was it weather related? They may cite act of god and say tough, but you should contact them with a detailed listing and replacement costs. If they don't pay, your homeowners insurance should cover it as well.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 11:45 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

insurance may cover it........ but subject to your deductible.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 12:15 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

In case it's of any help, the proper name for the load bearing cable is catenary wire.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 12:32 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
In case it's of any help, the proper name for the load bearing cable is
my knob
Old Jun 7th 2010, 12:53 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
In case it's of any help, the proper name for the load bearing cable is catenary wire.
Coincidence? I think not....
Old Jun 7th 2010, 12:58 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
my knob
Must have been painful when it snapped.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

If the tech gave the impression the caternary wire was that old, and beyond servicable life, then I'd defintely expect some compo.
Don't suppose he left any of it behind.
The question is what are the replacement intervals and have they been observed? Finding that out would be impossible I'd imagine as the records are surely incomplete.

Hope you find some solution!
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Bad luck on the power front. I always wondered if those UPS units actually worked if needed. Look on the bright side, if your mobo is blown and the insurance co pays up you can rebuild the tower PC with an i7 extreme chip and 16Gb RAM
Old Jun 7th 2010, 6:31 am
Just Joined

SalfordSal is just really niceSalfordSal is just really niceSalfordSal is just really niceSalfordSal is just really niceSalfordSal is just really niceSalfordSal is just really niceSalfordSal is just really niceSalfordSal is just really nice

Umm, hate to admit to being a geek so early in my relationship with you guys, but maybe this gem of geekness will be useful.

The maximum working lifespan of a catenary cable is 20 years - shorter if you are in a salt-air environment (20 miles from salt water / sand or heavy industrial pollutants). Sometimes catenaries are called drop wires, but that's incorrect as a drop wire is specific to a telecoms cable.

Okay, I'll get my coat...
Old Jun 7th 2010, 6:38 am
Just Joined

SalfordSal is just really niceSalfordSal is just really niceSalfordSal is just really niceSalfordSal is just really niceSalfordSal is just really niceSalfordSal is just really niceSalfordSal is just really niceSalfordSal is just really nice

Originally Posted by Manc
my knob
Originally Posted by zargof
Must have been painful when it snapped.
Also it should have been greased every 10 years. Can you confirm that it was greased at least twice during its lifespan?
Old Jun 7th 2010, 9:20 am
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by SalfordSal
Also it should have been greased every 10 years. Can you confirm that it was greased at least twice during its lifespan?
that's why it snapped then.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 4:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

home owners insurance, sue the electric in small claims for any difference?....seems the all America way
Old Jun 7th 2010, 5:44 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

I had the place in Miami take a direct hit lightning strike.

I was on the pc at the time and wife was watching tv.

Thankfully I had the items plugged into Tripp surge protectors, they did their job.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 6:42 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Bad luck, good luck with the outcome.

My neighbor, one of the few sensible people I know (His wife is English) recently routed all his power, cable, phone etc, under his lawn. No snappy snappy for him in future! It's something I'm considering for us when we get our paths replaced.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.