British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Studying in USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/studying-usa-851276/)

virin96 Jan 22nd 2015 4:46 pm

Studying in USA

I currently am doing a HNC Business. I am about to be finished with it so I will have my HNC in Business. I want to attend College in the USA. Can anyone please tell me what is the equivalency of HNC Business in the USA? Some people say its equal to a Associates Degree? Need some information please!

Hotscot Jan 22nd 2015 4:50 pm

Re: Studying in USA

That sounds about right if it's a two year course?

Would you want to do a higher degree in the US? A four year degree, or maybe less if you can transfer credit, or an MSc?

Expensive though...

Pulaski Jan 22nd 2015 5:26 pm

An associate's degree takes two years of study and is typically awarded by a "Community College", which focuses on skills and training more than theoretical learning, though to get most degrees in the US you need to have "college level credit" (capable students can get credit for "advance placement" classes at high school) for a lot of fairly basic things such as English and "math". Therefore if you can't get credit for any studies in the UK that covered such things, you could easily find yourself at a US university ("college") working on a Finance degree but having to study English literature, US History, or Trigonometry. :blink:

petitefrancaise Jan 22nd 2015 5:35 pm

Phone up the international admissions department of the Uni (college) you want to go to and ask them.

You've probably missed the deadlines for starting next Autumn though.

Even if you're a US resident, college is expensive, if you're an international student then it's really expensive. Where do you want to work afterwards? The most succesful business studies graduates I know took a foreign language option as well and usually had a year studying abroad. Many UK unis have a study abroad element for business studies which you get for the same cost as Uk uni fees.

virin96 Jan 22nd 2015 5:55 pm

Well I am doing it online and I live in the USA (its a long story). But I want to go into a Bachelors Degree. I have been talking to a local community college and they said to get it evaluated by an agency. So if its equal to a assoc. Degree then I cant go to Community College and instead have to go to Uni !

Hotscot Jan 22nd 2015 6:06 pm

But that's a good thing...A university Degree carries more weight than something from a community college.

petitefrancaise Jan 22nd 2015 6:17 pm

Like Hotscot said, that's a good thing. You'll be halfway through. Is it the cost that's the issue though? Are you a LPR/USC?

virin96 Jan 22nd 2015 6:33 pm

No I am on a visa as a dependent to my parents

petitefrancaise Jan 22nd 2015 6:40 pm

so would you be classed as an international student at college here? I'm not sure of all the requirements.

What about going to the UK to study? You could try to argue domiciliation in the UK since you aren't permanent residents here. I had a link with info somewhere, which I could try to find.

Did you do High school here in the US? I'm wondering about the credits for US History, English etc. Not having these would probably mean that you can't get the associate degree anyway. Required credits for the degree are usually on the website of the community college.

sir_eccles Jan 22nd 2015 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by virin96 (Post 11541911)
Well I am doing it online and I live in the USA (its a long story).

Those are usually the best ones.

SanDiegogirl Jan 22nd 2015 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by virin96 (Post 11541960)
No I am on a visa as a dependent to my parents

deleted

Bob Jan 22nd 2015 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 11541886)
... I know took a foreign language option as well and usually had a year studying abroad. Many UK unis have a study abroad element for business studies which you get for the same cost as Uk uni fees.

A lot of uni's, regardless of the course, could probably arrange a sandwich year abroad as an exchange.

My old uni had ties to a bunch of uni's, so a lot of people did either a year or a semester in the US. They had to show funds covering the living expenses as tuition was covered by whatever your usual rate was...but even so, a mate who wanted to go to Oz to be with his girlfriend and the uni didn't have a tie there, got in touch with them and arranged it himself. It was in Sydney, so it wasn't that hard to find someone there that wanted to go to London for a year though.

virin96 Jan 23rd 2015 12:53 am

I am a citizen of UK, I moved here in 2000 and did all my schooling here including all my High School. My family was moving back to England and thats why I did online, but we ended up staying here, so now Ill have to go college here in USA.

Hotscot Jan 23rd 2015 1:06 am

Do you have an idea of what Degree you'd like to attain?
And ideal career?

Have you researched the Universities offering the Degree course?
Do you feel you'll be able to afford a course? Even while working part time perhaps or can your parents assist?
Or need a loan?

petitefrancaise Jan 23rd 2015 1:33 am

Virin96, since you are here on a temporary visa (you don't have a green card?) then I would suggest that you can argue that you are ordinarily resident in the UK and therefore subject to UK nationals fees. If that's what you want to do.

Would you be regarded as an international student here in the USA?

If you want to study in the USA, then an organisation such as NACES Home
can help you get your course evaluated but it will cost you.

Have you thought about going to an EU university (outside of the UK?) Many places offer degree courses in English but the fees are a fraction of the cost (Maastricht is about €750 for the whole degree and they teach everything in English) As an EU national you would be assessed at local and not international rates.