Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Studying at a US university?

Wikiposts

Studying at a US university?

Old Jun 5th 2009, 6:32 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Studying at a US university?

Originally Posted by mdx989
I see what you're saying.

I probably should have mentioned that I'm currently at a UK university; though not a particularly good one in my opinion (usually ranks anywhere between 20 - 40 in most UK rankings) and I'm not aware of any US exchange programs here.
Hence, starting again at another UK university doesn't really appeal.
So are there any, or not? It sounds like you need to do some more research. Have you even asked your International Office about exchanges? What university is it?
Old Jun 5th 2009, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
So are there any, or not? It sounds like you need to do some more research. Have you even asked your International Office about exchanges? What university is it?
Exactly.

I find it hard to believe there is no program at all. I've bumped into US students in the UK studying (partying) at institutions that were quite far removed from the top end of the tables.

As mentioned, it is possible to set up your own exchange, however that will generally cost you an awful lot of money.

The beauty of exchanges is that they usually make arrangements so that you don't have to pay the US fees.

As an alternative, if you can't find an exchange, the next best thing is to do a BUNAC work abroad program. However, instead of working in a theme park or camp like most kids do, see if you can find summer work in a research group. Use your google skills to figure out who does what, and then just start carpet bombing them with emails explaining how awesome you think their work is. It worked for me. I had a nice summer in San Francisco pottering about in a lab (in addition to my year abroad!).

You haven't told us what you study yet. That would help a lot.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 7:13 am
Just Joined

mdx989 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Exactly.

I find it hard to believe there is no program at all. I've bumped into US students in the UK studying (partying) at institutions that were quite far removed from the top end of the tables.
I should probably look into it. I daresay there are, but AFAIK they are only small-scale exchanges to European countries.

As an alternative, if you can't find an exchange, the next best thing is to do a BUNAC work abroad program. However, instead of working in a theme park or camp like most kids do, see if you can find summer work in a research group. Use your google skills to figure out who does what, and then just start carpet bombing them with emails explaining how awesome you think their work is. It worked for me. I had a nice summer in San Francisco pottering about in a lab (in addition to my year abroad!).
That sounds interesting; I'll have a look.

You haven't told us what you study yet. That would help a lot.
Sorry about leaving that out, I meant to include it.

I'm currently studying Computer Science BSc.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently studying Computer Science BSc.

To get to the point, that is good news.

Now the trick is to figure out an angle in research, rather than IT jobs. Figure out if there are particular areas of research you'd like to have a stab at.

First port of call is to contact the faculty at your university who work in those or similar areas to see if they have any connections in the US.

If that doesn't turn up anything, just start rolling out the letters to the US guys.
You will probably have to try quite a few before you get a bite, but you never know. Make it clear that BUNAC will sort out all the paperwork for visas, but that you could do with a cash bursary.

If they are not willing to give you a bursary, but can give you a solid project, and it's a good school, I would employ your savings and take it. Most profs would be happy to employ a free student.

Now, I suspect BUNAC's subscriptions for this summer are already full (they can only do J1 visas for June - October, and you need to be a matriculated student in the UK when you apply.)

So you are looking at summer 2010 in the US, assuming you can't organize a year abroad for 2010-11 instead.

Note that California has some very, VERY good CS departments. Summer in California? I can think of worse things!

Easy!

Last edited by caleyjag; Jun 5th 2009 at 7:59 am.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I see what you're saying.

I probably should have mentioned that I'm currently at a UK university; though not a particularly good one in my opinion (usually ranks anywhere between 20 - 40 in most UK rankings) and I'm not aware of any US exchange programs here.

Hence, starting again at another UK university doesn't really appeal.
If you don't want to take any of the suggestions, then stay in the UK. Your options are easy - do an exchange, or come to the US as a foreign student. One is far more expensive than the other. You choose.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 8:57 am
Just Joined

mdx989 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by augigi
If you don't want to take any of the suggestions, then stay in the UK. Your options are easy - do an exchange, or come to the US as a foreign student. One is far more expensive than the other. You choose.
Please don't be disrespectful. It is not easy at all; as has already been said.

I'm not yet sure that my University offers any such exchange opportunities. As for the second option; I only have the £20k and it's been established that that is not really enough.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
www.ethos.ac.uk could help there, they digitise doctoral thesis and make them easily available rather than sitting in some basement uni library never to see the day....well you get the idea, and it's free
This is great advice, although the OP has a while to go till they have to worry about the exposure of their thesis!

I put my thesis on my website, and tagged the site as best as I could. A few months later a big american company found it on google, decided what it was what they needed, and offered me a job.

Sorted!
Old Jun 5th 2009, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't be disrespectful. It is not easy at all; as has already been said.

I'm not yet sure that my University offers any such exchange opportunities. As for the second option; I only have the £20k and it's been established that that is not really enough.
I'm not being disrespectful. I just don't understand why people post a question, then shoot down every suggestion made.