Reload this Page >

Studying at a US university?

Studying at a US university?

Old Jun 4th 2009, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

mdx989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Studying at a US university?

Hi,

What is involved in applying to and studying at a US university (From the UK)? It's something I'm interested in doing.

I'm not naive and wouldn't expect the process to be simple or easy, but if anyone has any knowledge on this subject I'd be greatful for any information.

Thanks.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 5:10 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Studying at a US university?

Most universities have an office of 'international students' that can give you some advice and suggestions.

It's not cheap. You'll be paying quite a bit every year and have to prove to the immigration folks you can afford it + living expenses. Many study in the UK and then do a year or two 'transfer' to an American school to get a taste of things.

Best bet is to look into what your interests are and find a school that specializes in that and follow up with their admissions people.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 5:20 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdx989
Hi,

What is involved in applying to and studying at a US university (From the UK)? It's something I'm interested in doing.

I'm not naive and wouldn't expect the process to be simple or easy, but if anyone has any knowledge on this subject I'd be greatful for any information.

Thanks.
Undergraduate or postgraduate?

Unless you are academically or athletically very gifted (in which case you might get a scholarship), it will be very expensive - easily over £10,000 per year.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 5:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Undergraduate or postgraduate?

Unless you are academically or athletically very gifted (in which case you might get a scholarship), it will be very expensive - easily over £10,000 per year.
I think it would cost a lot more than that...perhaps double and of course if would be over 4 years not 3.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

ellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really nice

Your best bet would be looking into doing a year at an American uni. I know Keele as well as many other British universities have relationships with Stateside ones and you *may* be able to get to study at an American university for a year (my cousin did the opposite, went to NYU and spent a term at Rada in London). Unless of course you have loads of $$$ or are super exceptionally smart
Old Jun 4th 2009, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Ah right; doesn't look like it will be possible then.

I'm 20 and would be an undergraduate, and I only have around £20k in savings.

Have to think of another plan then, If I'm ever going to stand any prospect of living in the US.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Ah right; doesn't look like it will be possible then.

I'm 20 and would be an undergraduate, and I only have around £20k in savings.

Have to think of another plan then, If I'm ever going to stand any prospect of living in the US.

You could follow my plan, it's worked very well:

1. Undergraduate degree at GOOD UK University. Should be in science or engineering if possible. These disciplines give you more options for research jobs due primarily to the levels of funding, and also with them you can easily develop niche technical skills. Study hard. Make sure your UK university has an exchange program to a US school you would like to go to for your 2nd year (3rd year if you go to a uni in Scotland).

2. Go to a GOOD US university for your year abroad. A big-name research institution such as Berkeley, Stanford or Harvard will open a lot of doors, and these all have exchange programs to the UK.

3. Come back to the UK to finish your undergraduate degree. Make sure you achieve good grades.

4. During your undergraduate degree undertake all possible chances to work in labs and research groups with renowned professors.

4. Apply for PhD programs. Two main options:
i) Do your PhD in the US. The connections you made working in labs as an undergaduate should be able to help you with hook-ups to faculty stateside, which makes the process of applying for PhD programs vastly easier.
ii) Do your PhD in the UK. Takes half the time of a US PhD. Work hard, publish good papers, and attend international conferences wherever possible.

5. Hurrah! Due to your now-impressive scientific CV and your broad network of scientific collaborators, you can now secure a post-doctoral position at a top US university. Pitch for a minimum of 2 years. Work hard, and make sure your research is well publicized in the literature and on the web. Highlight those niche skills you have been acquiring!

6. Get head-hunted by a top US corporation. You are now part of Corporate America, and will get paid a decent wage for your mad skills, unlike back home!

So that's a 10-year plan, which should see you back and forth to the US fairly regularly!

Last edited by caleyjag; Jun 4th 2009 at 6:45 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by caleyjag
You could follow my plan, it's worked very well:

1. Undergraduate degree at GOOD UK University. Should be in science or engineering if possible. These disciplines give you more options for research jobs due primarily to the levels of funding, and also with them you can easily develop niche technical skills. Study hard. Make sure your UK university has an exchange program to a US school you would like to go to for your 2nd year (3rd year if you go to a uni in Scotland).

2. Go to a GOOD US university for your year abroad. A big-name research institution such as Berkeley, Stanford or Harvard will open a lot of doors, and these all have exchange programs to the UK.

3. Come back to the UK to finish your undergraduate degree. Make sure you achieve good grades.

4. During your undergraduate degree undertake all possible chances to work in labs and research groups with renowned professors.

4. Apply for PhD programs. Two main options:
i) Do your PhD in the US. The connections you made working in labs as an undergaduate should be able to help you with hook-ups to faculty stateside, which makes the process of applying for PhD programs vastly easier.
ii) Do your PhD in the UK. Takes half the time of a US PhD. Work hard, publish good papers, and attend international conferences wherever possible.

5. Hurrah! Due to your now-impressive scientific CV and your broad network of scientific collaborators, you can now secure a post-doctoral position at a top US university. Pitch for a minimum of 2 years. Work hard, and make sure your research is well publicized in the literature and on the web. Highlight those niche skills you have been acquiring!

6. Get head-hunted by a top US corporation. You are now part of Corporate America, and will get paid a decent wage for your mad skills, unlike back home!

So that's a 10-year plan, which should see you back and forth to the US fairly regularly!
Well, Thanks for taking the time to explain that. Looks like there are an awful lot of 'ifs' and 'buts' there though.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Aurelia is an unknown quantity at this point

And what of our young friend's happiness?

Actually it is much easier for a foreign student to get accepted into an American university. You just need to play up your hardships and your heritage. Talk about cleaning the chimneys in London, your tea collection, anything. Seriously, write your college entrance essay on something like this. And take the SATs. But don't forget that those universities are seriously overrated. Look what kind of students they produce? If it's what you really want, go do it.

Also, don't be so concerned about the money. There are student loans readily available and you can always work while you are in school.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aurelia
And what of our young friend's happiness?

Actually it is much easier for a foreign student to get accepted into an American university. You just need to play up your hardships and your heritage. Talk about cleaning the chimneys in London, your tea collection, anything. Seriously, write your college entrance essay on something like this. And take the SATs. But don't forget that those universities are seriously overrated. Look what kind of students they produce? If it's what you really want, go do it.

Also, don't be so concerned about the money. There are student loans readily available and you can always work while you are in school.
I heard that the F-1 visa allows employment only within the University campus, not sure how available that kind of employment is.

Are there US banks that offer loans to students from overseas?
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Well, Thanks for taking the time to explain that. Looks like there are an awful lot of 'ifs' and 'buts' there though.
LOL - just a few!

Would be good to see if anyone could try and start this plan from scratch and make it work though.

So off you go. Get onto a science/engineering course at a good UK university that exchanges with a good USA one.

It's only Step One so got to be pretty simple!

Good luck :-)

(PS When you get on the course make sure you study hard and get good grades - this is also part of Step One so again, simple!)
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:36 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

I heard that the F-1 visa allows employment only within the University campus, not sure how available that kind of employment is.

Are there US banks that offer loans to students from overseas?
I have two daughters at college here...well one is due to start in the Autumn but we've spent so much already I feel she's actually there.

My eldest hasn't found it easy to get on campus work because there are a lot of students all wanting to work. She worked horrible hours as a residence hall security guard and earned peanuts.
Next year she will be working in the kitchens, also for peanuts.

Initially my daughter was on an H4 visa which didn't allow her to do any work at all. She wasn't eligible for grants, scholarships or federal/state loans.

We now have green cards and she is eligible for everything but it is very hard to get a lot of free money. She is at a state school and they tend to have a lot less money to throw around.

The middle one is going to a private college and they have been much more generous. I don't know wether that generosity extends to international students but if you are determined then it might be a good idea to look at the private schools rather than the state schools.
Call their financial aid offices and find out what is available to you.

Are you able to fund a US education with UK student loans?

To give you a vague idea of cost my eldest goes to a small state school in the middle of nowhere and it costs around $15k per year and that includes tuition, room and board but not books or spending money.

The middle one is going to a bigger private college in a city and that should cost around $37k per year, tuition, room and board but she has been given two scholarships from the college which has reduced that significantly.

There are so many schools here and it is mind boggling to try and choose one. If you do go ahead you need to choose one where the degree at the end of it will carry some weight because you will be trying to convince employers to get you a visa to stay.

Caleyjag's advice would be well worth taking.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TimberHut
LOL - just a few!

Would be good to see if anyone could try and start this plan from scratch and make it work though.

So off you go. Get onto a science/engineering course at a good UK university that exchanges with a good USA one.

It's only Step One so got to be pretty simple!

Good luck :-)

(PS When you get on the course make sure you study hard and get good grades - this is also part of Step One so again, simple!)
I think I'll pass on that plan; 10 years of academia sounds like hell to me.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

My suggested path hasn't been very difficult actually! I happily bumped from one stage into the next.

I am sorry if it sounded condescending.

Everything in that chain of events follows an organic and natural sequence.

Moreover, it is a relatively well-worn path. Many, many of the US's leading faculty are foreign-born.

The only catch is that you need to be good at studying. It doesn't have to be science or engineering, although that definitely helps.

I emphasized going to 'GOOD' universities because, quite simply, the better the name of the institutions you attend, the more frequently opportunities will present themselves. However if you end up a modest institution, there are still plenty of ways to work your way up and get noticed.

Now, I need to stress, you don't need to spend your life in the library. I partied all the way through university. You just need to have the long-term plan, and have the focus to do the work when it is required. Most of all, you need to seize the opportunities, such as the year abroad program, whenever they present themselves.

Anyway, first thing is first, find a good university and program of study that you are happy with in the UK. It's important you love what you are studying. You'll never follow The Plan to completion if you don't!
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think I'll pass on that plan; 10 years of academia sounds like hell to me.
Yes. That's what I said when I was 20.

However fast-forward 10 years and I am genuinely terrified and saddened at the prospect of leaving the ivory towers behind.

Whatever plan you take for long-term living in the US, it's going to take a long time to realize.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.