Studying in the US

Wikiposts

Studying in the US

Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Imperate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Studying in the US

Hello to everyone,

I'm applying to 'gradschool' for a PhD in the US, so I could well be moving there in 'the fall', I've applied to the places I've applied mainly because of the research I want to do, so I don't really know that much about the places themselves.

I could potentially end up in either LA, San Diego(La Jolla), Palo Alto, Chicago or Stony Brook, NY (or even Vancouver or British Columbia, but I dont think this is the place to ask about those). I was just wondering if anyone knows where I could find out more about what it be like to actually live in these places? or if anyone has any first hand experiences of these areas?

For example my picture of California, is one of perma-sun, palm trees, beaches and mountains, is it really going to be like this? are Californians really more fake on the whole? is it hard to make meaningful friendships? is everyone going to smile and nod but then not care one iota further?

I'm quite shy at the best of times in the UK, so as much as the idea of living in the Californian sun for example and going to a top gradschool, appeals to me, I'm not sure if socially I'll be able to handle it, hm...

Also what is Stony Brook like, I believe it's near New York city, although I don't know if it's near enough that I'll be able to go to New York very often, and what is there in Stony Brook?

Thanks for any responses
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:15 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Studying in the US

Welcome to the forum. I don't have a PhD so I'm not qualified to answer your question. Dbj1000 should be along shortly and he's well brainy, he is. He'll be able to help you out.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome. For info about different places to live you could always go to:
www.city-data.com
Old Nov 25th 2008, 1:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE

Have a search on BE, as a couple of those cities have come up and you should be able to get some info on them.

Either way though, for the most part, you'll need a car otherwise things will pretty much be grim and shit and you won't have much chance to see much of the country without one really and presuming your on a F1 student visa, that doesn't leave much in way of being able to work, unless your doing it on a J1.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 2:02 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Welcome to the forum. I don't have a PhD so I'm not qualified to answer your question. Dbj1000 should be along shortly and he's well brainy, he is. He'll be able to help you out.
Thank you, thank you. You're right of course. I'm a frickin' genius.

The questions about Californians being fake is a pointless one. Are the English snobs? Are the Scots tight with money? Shall we discuss whether you should base your education decisions on cultural stereotypes?

Moving on... La Jolla is my favorite place on earth. I spent much of my childhood there, and it's a really wonderful place in terms of climate, landscape, beaches... but it's HYPER expensive. I don't know what it's like on the UCSD campus in terms of facilities for the students, but the surrounding town is billionaire country. Average house price is well over $5M.

Palo Alto has a great reputation, as do the other places you've listed, but since I have no direct experience I'll leave those to others who do.

I guess you've got your funding all sorted out? Those are all very, VERY expensive places to study.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to BE!

Not alot to add.. but I too LOVE La Jolla.. beautiful place. I have only ever visited a few times, so couldn't comment on living there. To answer your question about Californians.. well lets just say they are an acquired taste! - Just make sure where ever you end up get your self out and about.. Meetup.com is a great way to meet like minded people in a new area.

Very best of luck.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 2:11 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
The questions about Californians being fake is a pointless one. Are the English snobs? Are the Scots tight with money? Shall we discuss whether you should base your education decisions on cultural stereotypes?
See! See the genius of the man? Of course, it's so obvious when he says it.
If you're doing a PhD, then the people you'll be hanging around with will very likely be people of substance. You'll have similar interests. It's unlikely you'll be moving in shallow circles.

Last edited by Octang Frye; Nov 25th 2008 at 2:17 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Stony Brook is on Long Island. Don't know much about the school itself, but you will be able to get to New York City from there - If you are willing to deal with traffic. There has been a program in place for some time now, where unemployed people are being paid to drive back and forth on Long Island Expressway. Or at least its seems like it when I have had to go out that way.....

Seriously though, Long Island is generally very nice. Being in the North East, you will have the four seasons, and you can get to NYC and most places in the metropolitan Tri-state area (NY, NJ and CT) relatively easy, depending on how far you want to drive. You probably don't want to keep a car permanently since insurance will kill you, but you should be able to rent one quite easily if you want to take a weekend trip. Long Island Railroad, which runs into Penn Station on 33th street and 7th Avenue on Manhattan and connects there with Amtrak and NJ Transit, is another travel alternative.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:13 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned, you have chosen some expensive places in your final mix. Make sure you do the math and check whether they're going to pay you enough to live in those places. Unlike many of your future classmates, you will likely not have the option of student loans when things get tight.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:46 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Moving on... La Jolla is my favorite place on earth. I spent much of my childhood there, and it's a really wonderful place in terms of climate, landscape, beaches... but it's HYPER expensive. I don't know what it's like on the UCSD campus in terms of facilities for the students, but the surrounding town is billionaire country. Average house price is well over $5M.
Salford with Sunshine
Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Imperate is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, thanks for the many replies. I don't think funding is going to be a problem, if they accept my application they waive tuition and gaurantee support through a TA/fellowship which most claim is more than adequate to live on campus (although granted, it's not going to be a life of luxery).

I know the questions about if Californians are fake is a stupid one, I'm just trying to gauge what it's really going be like when the plane actually lands because at the moment all I see are these beautiful pictures, of say La Jolla, and my brains looking at it as if I'm going on holiday , but obviously it's not going to be like that. I've never even been to the US, and I'm going to be committed to live there for 5+ years if I am accepted, so it's a huge jump for me to take. I've only ever even spoken to one American! hehe
I don't know the correct questions to ask really, as most likely only experiencing it myself will I find out...

So it seems Stony Brook isn't too far from NY at least, what's the actual area itself like?
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Imperate
Hey, thanks for the many replies. I don't think funding is going to be a problem, if they accept my application they waive tuition and gaurantee support through a TA/fellowship which most claim is more than adequate to live on campus (although granted, it's not going to be a life of luxery).

I know the questions about if Californians are fake is a stupid one, I'm just trying to gauge what it's really going be like when the plane actually lands because at the moment all I see are these beautiful pictures, of say La Jolla, and my brains looking at it as if I'm going on holiday , but obviously it's not going to be like that. I've never even been to the US, and I'm going to be committed to live there for 5+ years if I am accepted, so it's a huge jump for me to take. I've only ever even spoken to one American! hehe
I don't know the correct questions to ask really, as most likely only experiencing it myself will I find out...

So it seems Stony Brook isn't too far from NY at least, what's the actual area itself like?
Well hi then - I'm an American - speak

Noone's talked about Chicago, and I'm in the Chicago area so...

I'm not really a city person, prefer the country, but I spent a lot of time working downtown. Chicago is a varied city - population, ethnic neighborhoods, food. If you like a big city, it's probably a pretty good one. Lots of stuff to do.

Obviously it gets colder than California. In the winter - lots colder. Of course, if you have your nose buried in a bunch of fancy books it won't matter as much (we do have heat)

If you care to say, which schools are you considering? At least in Chicago, some answers might be different depending upon the area of the city you'd be in.

Actually, if you're right in the city, you might not need or want a car. Maybe.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 2:12 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Imperate
Quite true - if you spend the next 5 years stuck in the lab, and eating from vending machines. If you decide you want a life outside of the lab you'll want to consider your options more carefully. Some schools are considerably more generous than others, and some cities are so expensive that all generosity is moot. The only reason I bring this up is because you've searched based on the research you wish to do - a path that can lead to either great happiness, or untold bitterness.

Also, be wary of schools that 'downselect' in the second year.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discoviking
...You probably don't want to keep a car permanently since insurance will kill you, but you should be able to rent one quite easily...
If he's over 26, which I'm guessing probably is, but if not, it won't be that easy and it'll be rather well pricey.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

alissss is a name known to allalissss is a name known to allalissss is a name known to allalissss is a name known to allalissss is a name known to allalissss is a name known to allalissss is a name known to allalissss is a name known to allalissss is a name known to allalissss is a name known to allalissss is a name known to all

I did my PhD at UCSD - and spent significant time working UCLA as well as Bay area. I liked it enough that I am moving back to work at one of those universities as professor. Other places I only visited. I wholeheartedly recommend CA -- but make your decision primarily based on academics.

California does have the kinds of people/concepts you are expecting - but Beverly Hills 90210 is not what characterizes the place. Esp in SoCal, the Latino culture is prevalent. Loads of Asian immigrants too. (All this = great food!!). CA is way more interesting and diverse than anything you can imagine from the outside.

Except for San Francisco (proper) it requires you change your idea of what "city" is like and realise everything is spread out and to have a good quality of life, you need a car... There really is everything there and not super hard to find either. LA has everything a huge metropolis offers, but just way spread out and different. SF is more city-like but small.

However, you might want to look into getting with your own funding if you're applying to any state schools. Budget is a mess and residents get preference for funding over foreigners. (Not admission, funding).

Strange but true: I see more orange tans and fake boobs in London!!!

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.