Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Student moving to NY

Student moving to NY

Old Apr 21st 2011, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

addyba is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Student moving to NY

I have an opportunity to move to New York in a few months. I am almost 18 and am about to go to University. However i have no clue as to where to start looking at universities/colleges in the states. I would like to keep it in and around the state of New York and am looking to study film. If you have any relevant advice or tips I would be extremely grateful.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:14 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student moving to NY

Hi Addy,

Can you give us some details of the opportunity allowing you to move to the US? We can tell you if there's any possible snags to look out for. Also, do you want to be in New York City, or outside of it, or does it matter to you?
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by addyba
I have an opportunity to move to New York in a few months. I am almost 18 and am about to go to University. However i have no clue as to where to start looking at universities/colleges in the states. I would like to keep it in and around the state of New York and am looking to study film. If you have any relevant advice or tips I would be extremely grateful.
Which visa will you be entering the USA with?

Rene
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

NY State is pretty large...Albany is a bit of a hike to NY City for instance, so any preference within the state?

You don't say what citizenship you have or how you'd move to the US, but that would probably affect what you might qualify for in regards to funding as university won't be cheap here, especially more so for out of state rates etc.

As for schools, there are loads -

http://www.filmschools.com/articles/...m-schools.html

http://www.filmschool.org/us/new-york/

Both have good info to check out.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by addyba
However i have no clue as to where to start looking at universities/colleges in the states.
Since you're interested in New York, you should try a Google search on "universities in 'new york'". I got 49,100,000 hits. I'm sure one or two will give you some direction. If you're interested specifically in New York City and not just New York State, you can narrow your search to "universities in 'new york city'". That brought the hit count down to a more manageable 14,200,000.

If you have any relevant advice or tips I would be extremely grateful.
First step - you must be accepted at a university/college. Second step - apply for an F-1 visa. Third step - be prepared to spend $30,000+ per year for tuition and living expenses.

Ian
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Since the OP doesn't mention either their citizenship or even what country they are currently in I can't tell whether they are a green card holder already in the US hoping to move from Ohio to New York, a dual US/UK citizen who is getting tired of living in the UK or a non-US citizen who would, of course, need a visa ...
Old Apr 24th 2011, 2:06 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

You need to get an I-20 from you school then apply for the visa ..

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:32 am
Just Joined

spazman21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oooh... what a coincidence. I'm going to New York University as an econ. major and am from the UK. This is my first post on this forum and the first thread I read.

I can assure you that New York University's school of the arts (Tisch) is very very well-known for film. Many famous alumn from there e.g. Spike Jones.

You do realise you need to get started as soon as possible to do SATs and all the essays etc.?