Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

student looking to move to the states

Wikiposts

student looking to move to the states

Old Nov 24th 2008, 2:40 am
Banned

neela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really nice
Default Re: student looking to move to the states

I would be VERY interested to know how you immigrated to the USA

Originally Posted by Tracym
Absolutely!

For some people, it is impossible and there isn't a way around it.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 2:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neela1982
I would be VERY interested to know how you immigrated to the USA
I can't imagine why you care - but I was born here.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 2:51 am
Banned

neela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really nice

There is no such thing as "words that say nothing". All words mean something, but i guess someone of your type of 'intelligence' wouldnt know they actually mean something and are used for a purpose. I guess those who are still living in your own little world, thinking that they have achieved 'something' that others 'cannot', by moving to the US. And i guess this is why people in this forum are so adament to squash others down to stop them from coming to the US, by using negetivity to deter them. This, just so you can be one only of a few 'elites' who have managed to achieve the achievement of moving to the US.

I am not saying we should pat people on the back, however there are ways of saying things. Using negetivity is not a way at all. There ARE ways to move to the US. There are working visas available. We can advise people on those, but qualifying to get the visa is down to the person. Once we have advised someone that this particular type of visa is available to them, according to info submitted on the post, then they can do their own research as to what they need to do to qualify. However, simply saying "you cant move here, its too difficult" isnt an answer, yes its difficult but not impossible. Did you understand those words? If not, i would be happy to translate into another language for you. I speak five.

Originally Posted by dbj1000
All those words, and nothing to say.

The tone on this forum is, in large part, due to people like you who only want to hear positive, encouraging, "it'll be just fine" responses.

It is exceptionally difficult to emigrate to the US. Many, many people post questions here each week, somehow assuming that it will be easy. When they're told otherwise, they often get angry and refuse to accept the helpful, though negative, replies they get. As a result, most responses start out forcefully explaining that it's very difficult to emigrate.

This board provides an important resource for people who want to know if they stand a chance of emigrating to the US. Most don't, and that information is of real value to them, since there are so many unscrupulous lawyers and "immigration consultants" who will take $$$ from them on a false promise and exactly the kinds of reassuring words you seem to like so much. Our replies save them time, money and heartache.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 2:52 am
Banned

Good luck to you. I know you can do it. If you know how...

Originally Posted by dbj1000
What, more posts that say nothing at all?

If I'm "commited and determined" I can become an astronaut on the first mission to Mars too.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 2:54 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

If I am committed and determined then I'll get off my arse and go to work.............
Old Nov 24th 2008, 2:55 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

It's such a wrench...........

hey djb........ got any committment and determination going spare?
Old Nov 24th 2008, 2:57 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I am not saying we should pat people on the back, however there are ways of saying things. Using negetivity is not a way at all. There ARE ways to move to the US. There are working visas available. We can advise people on those, but qualifying to get the visa is down to the person. Once we have advised someone that this particular type of visa is available to them, according to info submitted on the post, then they can do their own research as to what they need to do to qualify. However, simply saying "you cant move here, its too difficult" isnt an answer, yes its difficult but not impossible. Did you understand those words? If not, i would be happy to translate into another language for you. I speak five.
You been her on this site for 9 days ... You know Jack Shit ..
yet you tell us we are all wrong ..perhaps another site full of condescending fools will be more you style....

I only speak anglo saxon if you want to hear some of that ..
Old Nov 24th 2008, 2:57 am
@matthewb76

alright laters........... bollocks got to go to work
Old Nov 24th 2008, 3:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

This doesn't quite rise to the level of Julia, but...
Old Nov 24th 2008, 3:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Neela, we do not try to deter people from immigrating to the US. We attempt to be forthright and honest. As Dbj said, we get dozens of people every week that seem to think that they have to move here because we are the land of milk and honey. In reality, the US has some of the most strict immigration laws in the world. If someone wants to come visit here as a tourist, or study here, those visas are much easier to acquire. However, if people want to come here to work or to live, those visas are next to impossible, unless you meet very stringent criteria - which is the way it should be.
I appreciate your attempt to try and educate me in the things that I already know. And contrary to popular belief in this forum i know its difficult. However there are WAYS of saying things to people. If you posted this post of your to someone who wanted to move to the USA, they would understand and appreciate it more, because out of most posts by 'moderators' and others - your post in fact has no negetivity in it at all. We should advise people what they can do to come here and i know that there are many enq. from people again and again, week after week with people asking same questions and i am sure people get sick of it. It doesnt, however mean you have to be rude. I myself said that it is difficult and suggested that people move to Spain instead of CA, because its down right hard, however it is upto the person in question, as to what they want to do.

We are honest in telling people that come to this board that they have very little chance of moving/living here, unless they meet those criteria. Some may call us negative, however I would call us realists. We don't like to dash people's dreams, however they need to take their head out of the clouds and come to the realization that they just can't up and move here without doing research into the specific ways to immigrate.
I understand and you are absolutley correct. However why is there the assumption in the first place that people have their 'heads in the clouds'? People genuinley may just dont know everything about US immigration and they come here for knowledge. Instead, people get a bashing, get called someone who is not 'intelligent' because others in the forum assume that these OP's have their heads in clouds! Why the insults? Why the direct abuse? This is not needed. I actualy felt insulted when someone said that my "words are nothing".... what was the use and perogative in saying that? What did they gain from saying that? Yes, be upfront and be a realist, but dont insult people.

Quite frankly, the USA's immigration policy is set up to keep people out. The US government does not want or need immigrants. Most folks don't seem to realize this, and when we tell them that, they get very upset and accuse us of lying and all sorts of stuff. That is simply not the case. We give people the reality, and a lot people don't like it.

By the way, in case it matters to you, I am a native born US citizen. I wasn't even aware of our own immigration laws until I met my husband and we had to go through the visa process to allow him to move here. So yes, we had a much easier time of it, since I am a USC, but I try to be honest in the advice I give to others about the reality of trying to move, live and/or work here.
Can i just say that i appreciate your post, it lacks sarcasm and insults and indirect abuse, unlike the rest. I am also a US Citizen by birth and i know it is hard for others to move here and US does have systems in place to prevent/made it hard for people to come here. However the point of the matter is that rudeness in these forums in not needed.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 3:06 am
@matthewb76

I actualy felt insulted
I think you're taking this forum a wee bit too seriously
Old Nov 24th 2008, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

If I'm committed and determined, does that mean I can win the lottery if I play it everyday?
Old Nov 24th 2008, 3:16 am
Banned

I guess in your book, speaking only one language is a sign of someone who is not intelligent and congratulations on your achievement. I am sorry that my post gave you so much pain of reality. I could almost hear the "ouch" coming from some people in this forum, as i posted it. You seem to also imply that a person being a long term member of this forum states the fact that a person is the most 'intelligent' of all. God forbid they know anything else in life!!! God forbid they know anything else but America. You sound like a typical neoconservative, planting your ideology in every manner that you possibly can. Neocons tend to live in a fantasy land. Being a long term forum member doesnt mean that you are be all and end all of life, moving to the US doesnt mean you have achieved the essense and being of humanity, as people here might portray (difficult, yes, but not impossible - otherwise you wouldnt be here). if i wanted to stoop to your level, i could say that you are very narrow minded, as well as being self and western-centric, however i dont consider people who only speak one language as dumb. If i were to stoop to your level, then i guess you are probably a self confessed dumb-ass, as you only speak one langauge. Get out a little, buddy. There's more of the world out there.

Originally Posted by Ray
You been her on this site for 9 days ... You know Jack Shit ..
yet you tell us we are all wrong ..perhaps another site full of condescending fools will be more you style....

I only speak anglo saxon if you want to hear some of that ..
Old Nov 24th 2008, 3:17 am
Banned

I dont take this forum seriously, however i take insults on my intelligence seriously, both here and anywhere for that matter.

Originally Posted by Manc
I think you're taking this forum a wee bit too seriously
Old Nov 24th 2008, 3:21 am
Banned

Let me ask you another question. If i keep eating chocolate muffins, does that mean ill get fat? No. It depends on the person. Like with everything in life, it depends. Some people have high metabolism, some dont. In answer to your question, you have a higher chance of getting a lottery win if you played it everyday - a higher chance of winning then someone who didnt play. Just like someone who has actually applied for a visa has more chance (no matter how small) of getting it, then someone who hasnt. There is a mathmatical name for this. Its called Probability.

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
If I'm committed and determined, does that mean I can win the lottery if I play it everyday?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.