Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

student looking to move to the states

Wikiposts

student looking to move to the states

Old Nov 22nd 2008, 11:51 am
Banned

neela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really nice
Default Re: student looking to move to the states

By the way, I already speak Pashto, I just wanna study my own cultural heritage.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 2:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess that is what happens when threads are hijacked.

Just a thought, but you seem to be heading in the wrong geographical direction.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 10:13 pm
Banned

neela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really nice

I guess youre right, but i have no choice. I cannot go to Kabul to study this, because the institute is in rubble and I cannot do it in Pakistan, because their qualifications are not recognised in the west and their economic position isnt stable at all. I dont like the idea of possibly being bombed. The fact that this is only available in the US and not Europe is not my fault. Let me ask you a question. Why do people do European language degrees in UK universities? Students do this and only spend a semester in Spain, France, Italy etc. Why do people not go to the Middle East to study Arabic language, why do they study it in London? Wouldnt this also be classed as the wrong geographical direction?

Originally Posted by Boiler
I guess that is what happens when threads are hijacked.

Just a thought, but you seem to be heading in the wrong geographical direction.

Last edited by neela1982; Nov 22nd 2008 at 11:31 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 9:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neela1982
.... Let me ask you a question. Why do people do European language degrees in UK universities? Students do this and only spend a semester in Spain, France, Italy etc. Why do people not go to the Middle East to study Arabic language, why do they study it in London? Wouldnt this also be classed as the wrong geographical direction?
cost, it would simply be cheaper.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 3:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure how many French go to London to study French. Ditto Spanish etc etc.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

dianep89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jack eccleston
Iam an 18 year old student currently attending a BTEC National Diploma course in college. After leaving my course in a few months time i would like to move to the USA to look for employment and generally just for a fresh start. I was just wondering if anyone has any experince on the subject, or just any guidence on how difficult it would be to make the leap for the UK to America.

thanks for reading.
it is tough.. but if you are committed and determined you can make it.. try to find job experience with multi national company and be on good terms with management. many companies send employees to US.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 11:55 pm
Banned

Yes you are right. So what do you suggest i do then, in this matter?

I am not referring to you or anyone in particular in this forum, but generally people who are already in the USA are so adament in making other people who want to move to the USA for whatever reason "scared", by saying things like "Oh, you wont make it", or "dont do it"... etc etc.... such negetivity. I dont know why it is the case, yes it is hard going to the US, but I dont think going to the USA to live there or study there or whatever is the "be all and end all of life". Going to the US is being portrayed here as the most difficult or undo-able thing within the human existence. Why is the US given so much importance? Yes, people want to live there, yes people want to go there - but portraying going to the USA as some explicit impossibility is going too far. Nothing is impossible and there are ways around things. However generally people in this forum seem to make such mountains out of molehills to the extent that its not needed.

In an ideal world and preferably by me, i have no choice but to go to the USA for my course, because as I have mentioned before its not available anywhere else. I was born in the USA and lived all my life in the UK, I have two passports but i understand how hard it can be for others - i have many friends who want to move there. I may have used European languages as an example in my previous post, however that was probably a bad example. There are students studying American Studies in London - simply because as another person said it was "cheaper" and i would like to add that it is also easier, because you do not have to leave the country etc etc. I have no option. I have to leave the country... either Pakistan or the US. I actually would have liked to go to Pakistan, because I have family there, my husband lives there (whilst waiting for his Visa) and of course tuition fees would be a twiddle. However, whats the point in studying there for 3+ years when at the end of the day its not recognized in the UK or anywhere else for that matter! I eventually want to work in Diplomatic service/government or similar in either the UK or the US or Canada, and having a Pakistani degree will not help me with that.

There seems to be this air in this forum in the sense that people are trying to deter others from going to the US. I dont know what the perogative is here, but i dont think its needed and those poeple need to look at themselves. If they can do it, so can others.

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not sure how many French go to London to study French. Ditto Spanish etc etc.

Last edited by neela1982; Nov 24th 2008 at 12:01 am.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:01 am
Banned

See. We need more posts like this.

Originally Posted by dianep89
it is tough.. but if you are committed and determined you can make it.. try to find job experience with multi national company and be on good terms with management. many companies send employees to US.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:06 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be this air in this forum in the sense that people are trying to deter others from going to the US. I dont know what the perogative is here, but i dont think its needed and those poeple need to look at themselves. If they can do it, so can others.
Personally I would have said this forum is more honest and forthright than some others..Telling those who have little or no chance the fact ..is not a bad thing...

Better to hear facts for free than get scammed by the various immigration services dotted around ..
Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:09 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you are right. So what do you suggest i do then, in this matter?

I am not referring to you or anyone in particular in this forum, but generally people who are already in the USA are so adament in making other people who want to move to the USA for whatever reason "scared", by saying things like "Oh, you wont make it", or "dont do it"... etc etc.... such negetivity. I dont know why it is the case, yes it is hard going to the US, but I dont think going to the USA to live there or study there or whatever is the "be all and end all of life". Going to the US is being portrayed here as the most difficult or undo-able thing within the human existence. Why is the US given so much importance? Yes, people want to live there, yes people want to go there - but portraying going to the USA as some explicit impossibility is going too far. Nothing is impossible and there are ways around things. However generally people in this forum seem to make such mountains out of molehills to the extent that its not needed.

In an ideal world and preferably by me, i have no choice but to go to the USA for my course, because as I have mentioned before its not available anywhere else. I was born in the USA and lived all my life in the UK, I have two passports but i understand how hard it can be for others - i have many friends who want to move there. I may have used European languages as an example in my previous post, however that was probably a bad example. There are students studying American Studies in London - simply because as another person said it was "cheaper" and i would like to add that it is also easier, because you do not have to leave the country etc etc. I have no option. I have to leave the country... either Pakistan or the US. I actually would have liked to go to Pakistan, because I have family there, my husband lives there (whilst waiting for his Visa) and of course tuition fees would be a twiddle. However, whats the point in studying there for 3+ years when at the end of the day its not recognized in the UK or anywhere else for that matter! I eventually want to work in Diplomatic service/government or similar in either the UK or the US or Canada, and having a Pakistani degree will not help me with that.

All those words, and nothing to say.

The tone on this forum is, in large part, due to people like you who only want to hear positive, encouraging, "it'll be just fine" responses.

It is exceptionally difficult to emigrate to the US. Many, many people post questions here each week, somehow assuming that it will be easy. When they're told otherwise, they often get angry and refuse to accept the helpful, though negative, replies they get. As a result, most responses start out forcefully explaining that it's very difficult to emigrate.

This board provides an important resource for people who want to know if they stand a chance of emigrating to the US. Most don't, and that information is of real value to them, since there are so many unscrupulous lawyers and "immigration consultants" who will take $$$ from them on a false promise and exactly the kinds of reassuring words you seem to like so much. Our replies save them time, money and heartache.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Personally I would have said this forum is more honest and forthright than some others..Telling those who have little or no chance the fact ..is not a bad thing...

Better to hear facts for free than get scammed by the various immigration services dotted around ..
Absolutely!

For some people, it is impossible and there isn't a way around it.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:11 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

See. We need more posts like this.
What, more posts that say nothing at all?

If I'm "commited and determined" I can become an astronaut on the first mission to Mars too.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Neela, we do not try to deter people from immigrating to the US. We attempt to be forthright and honest. As Dbj said, we get dozens of people every week that seem to think that they have to move here because we are the land of milk and honey. In reality, the US has some of the most strict immigration laws in the world. If someone wants to come visit here as a tourist, or study here, those visas are much easier to acquire. However, if people want to come here to work or to live, those visas are next to impossible, unless you meet very stringent criteria - which is the way it should be.

We are honest in telling people that come to this board that they have very little chance of moving/living here, unless they meet those criteria. Some may call us negative, however I would call us realists. We don't like to dash people's dreams, however they need to take their head out of the clouds and come to the realization that they just can't up and move here without doing research into the specific ways to immigrate.

Quite frankly, the USA's immigration policy is set up to keep people out. The US government does not want or need immigrants. Most folks don't seem to realize this, and when we tell them that, they get very upset and accuse us of lying and all sorts of stuff. That is simply not the case. We give people the reality, and a lot people don't like it.

By the way, in case it matters to you, I am a native born US citizen. I wasn't even aware of our own immigration laws until I met my husband and we had to go through the visa process to allow him to move here. So yes, we had a much easier time of it, since I am a USC, but I try to be honest in the advice I give to others about the reality of trying to move, live and/or work here.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Nov 24th 2008 at 1:45 am.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 2:02 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
What, more posts that say nothing at all?

If I'm "commited and determined" I can become an astronaut on the first mission to Mars too.

A masters in nucleur (or is it "nucular" now?) physics, might help too.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 2:38 am
Banned

You are right, its not a bad thing. However the it is said is a different matter altogether.

Originally Posted by Ray

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.