Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

student looking to move to the states

Wikiposts

student looking to move to the states

Old Nov 21st 2008, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: student looking to move to the states

Originally Posted by neela1982
Hahaha! Its so funny how people can think that they can just jump onto a plane and go to sunny Florida or wherever and start a new life, just because they are British. EU law doesnt extent to the USA (Unfortunatly). I am not blasting a particular person or people, im just talking generally. Also this special "relationship" that the US and the UK have seems to be limited to the UK side. In my opinion save yourself some hassle, if you want Sunny California, opt for Sunny Andalucia instead. It really is not worth the hassle, especially if you dont have a niche qualification. Thats my 1 penny.
You do realise I was joking? See my previous comments.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

For some reason i dont think its the kind of course you wanna do, and i dont think its in my best interest to tell you!!
OK OK - You really wanna know?

Pashto Language and Pathan culture

KNow what that is?

I thought not....
Yes, I actually do know what it is but I'm not going to tell you.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 4:40 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jack eccleston
generally just for a fresh start.
a fresh start from what?

you're 18 for christ sake, if you think you need a fresh start now, wait until you've got some baggage and debts under your belt.

face it,
you woke up this morning and thought, life here sucks. I want to do something cool and kick ass and that my friends will be jealous of me for.

I'm going to move to America.

well, sorry, but you're not.

not unless
1) you are absolutely brilliant in your job (at 18 I doubt you are)
2) you're filthy ****ing stinking rich (at 18 I doubt you are)
3) you've got a yankee piece on the side. (if you have then you're daft and should be playing the field.)
Old Nov 21st 2008, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

For some reason i dont think its the kind of course you wanna do, and i dont think its in my best interest to tell you!!
OK OK - You really wanna know?

Pashto Language and Pathan culture

KNow what that is?

I thought not....
Yep

This is a British Expats site.

Many, if not all of us, have seen Carry on up the Khyber.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 5:47 pm
Banned

BornFreeish is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jack eccleston
Iam an 18 year old student currently attending a BTEC National Diploma course in college. After leaving my course in a few months time i would like to move to the USA to look for employment and generally just for a fresh start. I was just wondering if anyone has any experince on the subject, or just any guidence on how difficult it would be to make the leap for the UK to America.

thanks for reading.
Good for for you. !0 years later you have the qualifications to get here.
seriosly merry a
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:07 pm
Banned

neela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really nice

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Bob
google H1B US masters cap will probably throw up loads...
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 6:44 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Hahaha! Its so funny how people can think that they can just jump onto a plane and go to sunny Florida or wherever and start a new life, just because they are British. Also this special "relationship" that the US and the UK have seems to be limited to the UK side.:
It doesn't extend that way either, you still have to go through immigration to start life as an american in the UK, and they don't get a free right of passage to just do what they want because they're an american... thankfully
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 6:50 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
face it,
you woke up this morning and thought, life here sucks. I want to do something cool and kick ass and that my friends will be jealous of me for.

I'm going to move to America.
Nothing cool or kick-as about moving to the US. If you were talking about trekiing through the himalayas, scientific research in the antarctic or saving the lions in Africa I might agree, but the US? Come off it, it's hardly original. Most countries of Europe would present the opportunities for a much "cooler" place to live.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 6:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
It doesn't extend that way either, you still have to go through immigration to start life as an american in the UK, and they don't get a free right of passage to just do what they want because they're an american... thankfully
They do have it a lot easier though, and certainly a lot quicker...
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 6:52 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
Seems like it's the wrong way round, doesn't it?
Anyway, just pointing out to that poster that it's not a case of a yank just walking into the UK and living there, either.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 10:34 am
Banned

neela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really niceneela1982 is just really nice

Actually, thats one thing I have always been curious about. My tutor at college in an American and I think he has been here for at least 10-15 years. He is not the only one. I come across many UK-resident Americans in London, and it does seem like to me that they can get here quite easily. I am not implying that they get a "walk in the Park" however I dont think its ANYTHING in comparison to what we have to go through, if we wanted to move to the US? It would be great to know what procedures they have to go through, immigration wise.

Originally Posted by Bob
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 10:35 am
Banned

Yeah yeah, i know!

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
You do realise I was joking? See my previous comments.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 10:38 am
Banned

Hahaha. Of course!! And the British, apart from the Khyber, have also carried up to India, Pakistan, Canada, Australia and every other British colony/territory that has existed. Actually, they have been all over the world, during various past and current wars. I doubt that anyone in this forum has personaly done that, though!

Originally Posted by Boiler
Yep

This is a British Expats site.

Many, if not all of us, have seen Carry on up the Khyber.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 10:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hahaha. Of course!! And the British, apart from the Khyber, have also carried up to India, Pakistan, Canada, Australia and every other British colony/territory that has existed. Actually, they have been all over the world, during various past and current wars. I doubt that anyone in this forum has personaly done that, though!
I would say there are less Yanks in the UK than you might proportionately expect.

If you came on here saying you were a Prof of whatever and were looking to move to a US uni, you would get a different response.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 11:50 am
Banned

??HUH?? I never said i wanted to move to the US. I just mentioned that the course that I want to do is only available in the US within the western hemisphere. Ideally it would be in Europe, but its not.

Originally Posted by Boiler
I would say there are less Yanks in the UK than you might proportionately expect.

If you came on here saying you were a Prof of whatever and were looking to move to a US uni, you would get a different response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.