Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Student Loan Payments

Student Loan Payments

Old Mar 23rd 2008, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Student Loan Payments

Hey guys,

My wife is on the New Student Loan scheme where they take some money out of your wages as a tax. Now she's out in the US they obviously cant do that.

She is going to have to phone them - anyone know what they will do / require? I think she should tell them that she is not working (how could they know if she was or not) so she doesn't have to pay right now - could help, with baby being on the way and all.

Anyone had to do this?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 12:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student Loan Payments

Do a search, been a good couple of recent threads...but the SLC are a bunch of muppets, even if you were able to sort out paying them they might not take the money, so might be better off ignoring it...not that I'd condone it or anything
Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

mchelen is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have both types of student loan, but I'm now living in Oz for the foreseeable future. I've been here for 2 and a half years now and for one of my loans I have to send info to the SLC each year to prove I'm not earning over a certain amount, which I'm not, it's just a bit of a hassle to have to do this every year! The other type of loan which is supposed to just come out of your earnings in the UK I don't have to worry about because I'm not earning there.
It's all a bit confusing as I'm a teacher and qualified to get my loan payments paid by the government anyway, but only if I'm working as a teacher in the UK...

Don't know if that was useful, as I have no idea which loan is which nowadays....

H.x
Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:13 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dh010447
Hey guys,

My wife is on the New Student Loan scheme where they take some money out of your wages as a tax. Now she's out in the US they obviously cant do that.

She is going to have to phone them - anyone know what they will do / require? I think she should tell them that she is not working (how could they know if she was or not) so she doesn't have to pay right now - could help, with baby being on the way and all.

Anyone had to do this?
Ooooh!! I need to know the answer to this too! Let me know what you find out please.

I do know that there is an interesting and not-widely-discussed loophole somewhere on their website that says if you cannot pay the loan back within 50 years because you are outside the country then you don't have to pay it back at all. So I guess if we can't figure out what needs paying and by when... umm... I'll be 74 by that point... Excellent!
Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:21 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

I think she should tell them that she is not working (how could they know if she was or not) so she doesn't have to pay right now - could help, with baby being on the way and all.

Anyone had to do this?
Great... one day you can tell your child what a fraudster. liar and cheat you are ...
Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

Anyone had to do this?
Just do the right thing...write to them and inform them of your current postion. Remember one day you and your wife may want to visit/return to the UK...and never say never.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ray
Great... one day you can tell your child what a fraudster. liar and cheat you are ...
Thanks for the input Ray.

I have actually been paying my student loan off for the past 5 years at 130GBP per month. When I got my very first student loan, I was told 'oh, its ok - the interest is linked to inflation so you only pay back the *same* amount'. Last time I looked, inflation in the UK wasn't at 4.8%. Oh, thats right, they changed they way the work it out a few years back to screw us over.

So - to be honest, I don't care about 'cheating' them out of Money.

However, if they are happy to accept the SAME amount of money per month that my wife was paying when she was in the UK, then we''re happy to pay that - but I have an idea that they are going to convert it to the old-style loan and screw us by making us pay a lot more money each month.

Oh - and just another thing to add, my wife will be taking a few months off so she WILL NOT be working. Thats going to confuse them when we phone them again and have to provide proof that she's not working... As far as I know, you cant get that out here and the muppets at the SLC aren't going to understand it anyway. They'll keep charging us and we'll just have to keep paying.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Just do the right thing...write to them and inform them of your current postion. Remember one day you and your wife may want to visit/return to the UK...and never say never.
Yeah - thats what we're going to end up doing. Was just interested if anyone had done this already and what kind of options they offered... Will see if I can find the other threads that Bob was on about.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Actually, they have a lot more info on their website now:
http://www.studentfinancedirect.co.u..._schema=PORTAL

Looks pretty reasonable...
Old Mar 24th 2008, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, they have a lot more info on their website now:
http://www.studentfinancedirect.co.u..._schema=PORTAL

Looks pretty reasonable...
I tried for years to work something out, started before I left the UK, called, wrote, emailed every possible avenue. Sent that very same form back to them with my current address, earnings, all the stuff filled in correctly, that was 3 years ago an I'm still waiting for a reply. Reasonable it looks and sounds, unreasonable is what it proved to be. I did everything they asked me to do to the letter, some of it 5 or 6 times because they messed things up, but still no joy. I've given up trying to do the right thing.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
on the plus side, SLC doesn't affect credit rating...or it didn't