British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Stuck in UK due to Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/stuck-uk-due-coronavirus-935439/)

OwenBernard Oct 26th 2020 4:13 am

Stuck in UK due to Coronavirus

Hi - I was living in New York and as things got pretty bad in March, I decided to go back to my parents house in Belfast. I was supposed to return in June as I have a 5 year working visa with 2.5 years left on it but they refused me.

ive been stuck here since paying my New York apartment rent.

anyone got any advice for support (From government maybe?) or getting myself out of this with some semblance of saving some money?

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 26th 2020 5:12 am

Re: Stuck in UK due to Coronavirus

Have you considered going to say Mexico for 2 weeks and then entering the US?

Who is they?

postbox134 Oct 26th 2020 2:30 pm

What visa do you have? L1? H1-B?

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 26th 2020 3:10 pm

I assumed an E2, not sure if it matters.

Pulaski Oct 26th 2020 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by postbox134 (Post 12926475)
What visa do you have? L1? H1-B?

And what it your business/ role? The US list of "critical infrastructure" business activities clearly covers most business activities, notably excluding hospitality and entertainment.

SanDiegogirl Oct 26th 2020 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by OwenBernard (Post 12926287)
Hi - I was living in New York and as things got pretty bad in March, I decided to go back to my parents house in Belfast. I was supposed to return in June as I have a 5 year working visa with 2.5 years left on it but they refused me.

anyone got any advice for support (From government maybe?) or getting myself out of this with some semblance of saving some money?

I was of the understanding that LPR's (those in rhe US as legal residents) have always been allowed to re-enter the US (quarantine?) The proclomations issued by Trump did not apply to LPR's

On the website of the Travel State.gov it states:

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...C%20April%2023.

U.S. citizens are not subject to the proclamations. All proclamations provide exceptions to the restrictions for lawful permanent residents of the United States. 

tht Oct 26th 2020 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by OwenBernard (Post 12926287)

Are you working remotely for your US employer or have you lost your job because you can’t get back? I don’t think you can claim NY UI as you have to leave if you lose your job on a visa.

GeneralPowerpoint Oct 26th 2020 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12926514)
I was of the understanding that LPR's (those in rhe US as legal residents) have always been allowed to re-enter the US (quarantine?) The proclomations issued by Trump did not apply to LPR's

On the website of the Travel State.gov it states:

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...C%20April%2023.

U.S. citizens are not subject to the proclamations. All proclamations provide exceptions to the restrictions for lawful permanent residents of the United States. 

Lawful Permanent Resident would be a Green Card holder which presumably doesn't cover OP.

I'd imagine their only option is to fly to a third country not on the quarantine list and hold up there for 2 weeks before travelling to the US.

karenkaren1 Oct 26th 2020 5:57 pm

I have 2 friends in similar position to you. One flew to Istanbul for 2 weeks prior, the other is heading to Tulum for 2 weeks. It is an expensive hassle, but do-able

postbox134 Oct 26th 2020 6:07 pm

Assuming that the underlying US role is still valid, if you have been laid off or have quit then the visa itself won't be valid anymore.

karenkaren1 Oct 26th 2020 6:09 pm

you can enter the US using an ESTA or any valid visa via 2 weeks in a country not listed on the proclamation

steph0scope Oct 26th 2020 6:58 pm

Agree with the others. You are not really “stuck” as there are workarounds. Mexico is an option, for example, and Serbia and Turkey to name a few. You just need to be creative.

Has your employer kept you on the payroll? It looks like you planned to be out for 3 months anyway. Are you working remotely? It’s interesting that you say you have a working visa with 2.5 years left on it but no mention of having to get back because of your work commitments. If the employer has let you go or you quit the job, the visa is no longer valid no matter how many years are left on it.

SanDiegogirl Oct 26th 2020 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by GeneralPowerpoint (Post 12926528)
Lawful Permanent Resident would be a Green Card holder which presumably doesn't cover OP.

I'd imagine their only option is to fly to a third country not on the quarantine list and hold up there for 2 weeks before travelling to the US.

Whoops ... of course, you are correct. A visa holder is NOT a permanent legal resident.....

destone Oct 27th 2020 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12926491)
And what it your business/ role? The US list of "critical infrastructure" business activities clearly covers most business activities, notably excluding hospitality and entertainment.

I heard it from a contact at the US Embassy in London that NIEs are incredibly difficult to obtain for L1/H1Bs.

I concur with others-- the OP's best bet is to fly via Mexico, quarantine there for two weeks, and have ample of proof of the Mexican stay when entering the US. It also does not hurt to have printout of the Presidential Proclamations (namely 9996, 10052 and 10054) and explain to CBP why said proclamations do not affect the OP.

circusplaza Oct 27th 2020 4:10 am

There are statements like the below in lot of the USA embassy sites for EU countries...

If you believe that you qualify for a National Interest Exception, need to travel immediately, and require a visa, please send an e-mail to [email protected]. Kindly include a short summary of your situation and supporting documents.

If you believe you may qualify for another National Interest Exception listed in Presidential Proclamation 9993 and 10052 please email [email protected]...

Few of my colleagues from Spain, France and Norway have re-enter in Aug-Sep timeframe in the US having this pre-approved by their home country US embassy.
All of them sent the proof of tenancy agreement/ mortgage, contract with the employer and rest of the visa papers (all of them on L1A if this helps) plus a covid test negative.

In the UK based Embassy site I can read this;

I am NOT exempt from the travel restrictions in the Presidential Proclamation but I have an emergency need to travel. Is there anything I can do?

If you do not fall under one of the exemptions to Presidential Proclamation but you have a humanitarian need for travel, such as for critical medical treatment, or you think you may qualify for another possible exception, please click here to contact us. Please select whether your inquiry is in relation to an immigrant or non-immigrant visa and then select “My inquiry is not covered by information on your website” on the contact form. In your message, please request ‘National Interest consideration,’ briefly outline your reason for travel, and state whether you currently have a valid visa, a valid ESTA or neither.

Please note, students traveling from the Schengen Area, the UK, and Ireland with valid F-1 and M-1 visas, do not need to seek a national interest exception to travel.
https://uk.usembassy.gov/information...d-19-outbreak/

As they have told you above... just hopping on a plane may not be possible, however looking for workarounds you will find a few of them.