Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Stuck in San Diego

Stuck in San Diego

Old Jul 1st 2008, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

mark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Stuck in San Diego

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
But it's San Diego, so the cycling is fab and the drivers are - generally - aware of cyclists
Cool - thanks for the advice.

From your profile it looks like you are quite the traveller: splitting your time between OZ the UK and sunny San Diego.

I will be looking into a meet up with fellow brits pretty soon. I have found another site which looks promising. I will be sure to let you all know.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark_sheffield
Cool - thanks for the advice.

From your profile it looks like you are quite the traveller: splitting your time between OZ the UK and sunny San Diego.

I will be looking into a meet up with fellow brits pretty soon. I have found another site which looks promising. I will be sure to let you all know.
Excellent! We like being kept posted Mark
Old Jul 1st 2008, 5:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The only problem will be a 7 mile bike ride to work.
bah, it'll be good for you! Work off all that Taco Bell and HFCS we add in over here.

The Americans here are nice too; remember you came over for the *cultural exchange*.

Congrats on your good fortune. Summer in SD sounds great, and SeaWorld to boot!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

mark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of light

Hmm - The guy I am supposed to be renting the room from has become very flakey.

Not returning my calls, and changing the dates etc. Not a good sign when I have to be out of the hostel on Thursday.

Just when things were going so well - I got my Social Security number today
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

It's great that you have your SS no now

Keep hunting for places on Craigs List.....ie don't just count on the one place. Meanwhile, guess you'll be moving to another hostel - which really isnt the end of the world.

Also, I don't know if people also advertise rooms in shop windows in the beach suburbs..... I guess the thing is, the students are long-gone, so most summer lets will have been snapped up.

I'll keep my ear to the ground though....
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc

I'll keep my ear to the ground though....
lol -Thanks for that

I'm heading over to Craigs List now.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 1:32 am

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just wanted to wish you all the best in your job with Sea World and hope that everything works out in your favour on the accommodation side of things! We just returned from vacation in San Diego and out of all the tourist traps, Sea World was the the absolute best I'm so pleased they gave you the break you needed Good luck and keep us posted!
Old Jul 4th 2008, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

I just wanted to wish you all the best in your job with Sea World and hope that everything works out in your favour on the accommodation side of things! We just returned from vacation in San Diego and out of all the tourist traps, Sea World was the the absolute best I'm so pleased they gave you the break you needed Good luck and keep us posted!
That is fantastic to hear.

Thank you for your kind words.

Regarding the accomodation - I have found a place and filled in all of the paperwork. I have been assured that everything is good to go however I still have a gut feeling that everything is going to fall apart. The current occupier is not very good at communicating.

As soon as I have a permanent roof over my head I will be sure to post.

I am so looking forward to being able to take everything out of my bag for the first time in 3 weeks. It gets tiring not having a permanent space of your own and having to live out of a bag.

Peace out
Old Jul 5th 2008, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

bodmin13 will become famous soon enough

I lived on Point Loma, 5 mins from Seaworld, it a lovely area, not too expensive but not cheap either. There are some hotels on Rosecrans that do weekly lets that might buy you some time till you find a permanent place.
Good luck
Old Jul 5th 2008, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Have you seen the San Diego Reader? (SD Reader)

There'll be rooms advertised - it's free, out each Thursday, also online:
www.sdreader.com
http://sandiego.backpage.com/Roommat...&category=4421
Old Jul 6th 2008, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Good news everybody,

I have found a permanacent place to live. After 3 weeks living out of a bag I have finally been able to unpack my things.

The accommodation is basically just a long stay hotel. The room is just a hotel room that the guy is subletting out. He has moved the provided bed to one side of the room and brought another bed in to effectively half the rent that he has to pay.

When I say the word “hotel” you probably think of a nice plush room and place. Please don’t – it’s not even as nice as a travel-lodge.

As it is just basically a room and a bathroom there are not many facilities provided. There is no hob, cooker or frying facilities. There is only a basic microwave to use to prepare food and plastic takeaway knifes forks to eat it with. There is also no communal facilities provided such as a living room.

It’s going to be a struggle for 3 months to live like this! However there is a TV and internet access so it’s not all bad.

I am also a bit lonely since moving in. Since I have moved out of the hostel that was full of travellers I have found that people aren’t as open and friendly here. I can’t strike up a conversation with “where are you going and where have you been?” etc. I am going to make a new post on the forum for advice now that I am no longer “Stuck in San Diego”.

However my room-mate is a nice guy and friendly enough. He is originally from Turkey and he works in a local restaurant. However as the space that we both occupy is so small I already feel that we are living on top of each other. He works on a night though so I get some privacy.

Once again thank you for all of your help and support with my move to San Diego through this thread. It has helped me immensely.

All the best

Mark
Old Jul 6th 2008, 2:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Good news everybody,

I have found a permanacent place to live. After 3 weeks living out of a bag I have finally been able to unpack my things.

The accommodation is basically just a long stay hotel. The room is just a hotel room that the guy is subletting out. He has moved the provided bed to one side of the room and brought another bed in to effectively half the rent that he has to pay.

When I say the word “hotel” you probably think of a nice plush room and place. Please don’t – it’s not even as nice as a travel-lodge.

As it is just basically a room and a bathroom there are not many facilities provided. There is no hob, cooker or frying facilities. There is only a basic microwave to use to prepare food and plastic takeaway knifes forks to eat it with. There is also no communal facilities provided such as a living room.

It’s going to be a struggle for 3 months to live like this! However there is a TV and internet access so it’s not all bad.

I am also a bit lonely since moving in. Since I have moved out of the hostel that was full of travellers I have found that people aren’t as open and friendly here. I can’t strike up a conversation with “where are you going and where have you been?” etc. I am going to make a new post on the forum for advice now that I am no longer “Stuck in San Diego”.

However my room-mate is a nice guy and friendly enough. He is originally from Turkey and he works in a local restaurant. However as the space that we both occupy is so small I already feel that we are living on top of each other. He works on a night though so I get some privacy.

Once again thank you for all of your help and support with my move to San Diego through this thread. It has helped me immensely.

All the best

Mark
At least you've got somewhere to lay your head. You'll get on your feet and make friends...just give it time. Please let us know how you get on and remember there's always someone around on here if you need a Brit to talk to. Good luck.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

Still sounds better than the Manor or Jordanthorpe...

:-)