Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Struggling again - work culture is depressing...

Struggling again - work culture is depressing...

Old Jun 8th 2012, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Struggling again - work culture is depressing...

Originally Posted by dlake02
Ah - sorry... Should have explained better. Here (HQ), everyone does have a nasty horrible cube. That appears to be "their" property. In our other offices, we have 80% hot-desking, at a loading of about 60% (in other words, if everyone came into the office, only 60% of hot-desking people would get a desk that day).

Often times here, I'll walk round the floor in the middle of the day where every cube is allocated and not be able to count more than 10 people on a floor of 250.

In London City, the 60% loading is hit somewhere between 0730 and 0800 EVERY day.
What industry are you in then? Honestly, I've never heard of such a thing! How can anyone work, if they don't have a desk to work at? I can understand not having an assigned desk (sort of), but to come in to work and not actually have a desk to work at?! So if you were an unlucky one that didn't get a desk, what do you do? Stand all day? Go back home?
Old Jun 8th 2012, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
What industry are you in then? Honestly, I've never heard of such a thing! How can anyone work, if they don't have a desk to work at? I can understand not having an assigned desk (sort of), but to come in to work and not actually have a desk to work at?! So if you were an unlucky one that didn't get a desk, what do you do? Stand all day? Go back home?
I suspect it is something to do with telemarketing whether financial or otherwise.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 6:36 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
The Telecoms company I worked for in the UK had a similar thing. People who were 100% office based had an assigned desk, people working in finance for instance. The engineers and sales staff, who were out of the office for vast amounts of time had hot desks, first come first served.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I work in the tech industry near Seattle and have found the opposite for most of that. If someone isn't pulling their weight when it comes to something as crucial as communication then they can get gently pushed out of the company.

Most people are on flexitime, so they come and go as they need to except for the core hours in the middle of the day. Some take the afternoon off and come back later in the evening. It sounds like many people have the opportunity to work from home in your company, so they probably are. Especially if they don't even have their own office/cube to use! Given the choice, I'd work on my much faster home machine than a slow work machine covered in someone else's body crumbs.

A lot of people I know will take off every monday or Friday for a couple of months rather than a whole week at a time. It means they can go hiking when far fewer people are taking up trail space.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

The Telecoms company I worked for in the UK had a similar thing. People who were 100% office based had an assigned desk, people working in finance for instance. The engineers and sales staff, who were out of the office for vast amounts of time had hot desks, first come first served.
Yep - perfectly normal up to Senior Director grade in all our EU offices. Only people at that level, VP and SVP get assigned offices/cubes. Everyone else has usually has their home as their prime work location, and then hot-desks.

We've been like it across the EU for about 10 years - here people seem wedded to their fix desk space.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
The only time I ran into something similar to that was in Japan but that was due to lack of office space in a very crowded city. Two engineers shared a small desk and didn't even have enough room for a desktop computer on the desk so had to go into the lab where there were hundreds of computers lined up against a wall where the engineers did their programming on any available computer.

In the marketing department, there were limited number of desks so everybody had removable cabinets that attached under the desk and they remove them when they went home at night. In the morning, they would grab their cabinet and roll it to the assigned desk. Their phone number is also assigned to that new desk in the morning.

Last edited by Michael; Jun 8th 2012 at 6:54 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like many people have the opportunity to work from home in your company, so they probably are. Especially if they don't even have their own office/cube to use!
But that's my beef. HERE we pay vast amounts of money to give everyone a desk with their name on it, and no-one turns up.

EVERYWHERE ELSE we have hot-desking and it's over-subscribed....

Honestly, I've never heard of such a thing! How can anyone work, if they don't have a desk to work at?
I'm surprised at the level of shock that this exists ! Major companies have been hot-desking/home-working for years - BT comes to mind as a company that has built entire hot-desk suites over the UK for drop-in. My real, permanent office is my home office.

I suspect it is something to do with telemarketing whether financial or otherwise
NO !!!!!! I thought most telemarketing was outsourced these days anyway. Finance NEED desk space, filing space, etc for compliance.
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it is another semi-rant, but there are questions somewhere....

We've been here 18 months so far in Silicon Valley, and whilst the work that I do is interesting, engaging, challenging, etc, there are a number of aspects of what seems to be behaviour peculiar to the Bay Area that is starting to really p**s me off.

Now, I come from 20+ years working in and around The City (London) in what is really a 24/24h environment, and given the stereotypical view of "Americans" as hard-working, go-getters, I was expecting a very similar kind of culture here.

It has been a real shock, and I suspect that I am guilty of doing what all Brits do in thinking that one huge country is the same from coast-to-coast.

So, I'm interested in whether the aspects that really wind me up are winding other people up.

1) Trying to tie ANYONE down to an email, phone call, meeting time is impossible. Emails go unanswered, phone calls are constant voicemail. I started to think that this was just a "my company" thing, but we've noticed it with everything.... And often times the response is curt, bordering on rude - "k" instead of "OK." Top that with the fact that meetings/conf calls get canceled, re-arranged at VERY short notice.

2) Mondays and Fridays the office is empty. And by 5.30 EVERY evening. And not in that early. In our City office, unless you were in by 07.30 the chance of getting a desk was zero.

3) People moan at "Europeans" for taking long holidays, but then disappear for the occasional day/hour/week, or pop-up "working" from a hotel in Hawaii with his family. Is that work or holiday ? How can the two mix ? The only people that seem to work truly hard are the Latinos/Latinas. I've never seen anyone graft quite as much as the guys that tend the HOA land. Back-breaking, manual labour. But everyone moans about them as "immigrants !"

4) Shops may be open 24/7, but they really don't have much "stuff" in them. The expectation seems to be that they are where you go to look, but they you buy on-line. But, here's the rub - delivery is horrendously slow. Next-day delivery just doesn't seem to exist unless you pay a fortune for it. An example - I've just ordered a bag for my wife which is made in the US. In the UK, next-day delivery is free for the same item. In the US, delivery is free, but "order acceptance" can take 48 hours and delivery is 5 days ! There is NO next-day delivery option at all. And that is in a country where fuel is essentially free.

5) Everything just seems so slow. Cars drive slower, people walk slower. Waiting for pedestrians to amble across is painful. There appears to be no sense of urgency in anything. It's all very relaxing at the weekend, but during the week, when you just want to Get On and Get Stuff Done, it's annoying.

- Is this an East Coast/West Coast thing ? Would I find in different in NY, for example ?

- Given the sedentary pace of life here, how come this is a technological hot-bed ?

- Is my judgment being unfairly coloured by my workplace experiences ? That would also include my wife's workplace experiences (different company, still West Coast based).

- How do Brits from a similar background deal with this ?
I have long described the American work culture imho as that of a group of people who talk a good job of work. The mentality appears to be centered around the concept that everyone must be seen to be allegedly working, whether that be at the office, home or elsewhere. Talking a good job of work means that work is woven into every conversation so that you think they are always busy with work etc...Sadly this transcends into an almost competitive mode of seeing who can physically stay at the workplace longest to impress the boss. Laughably it does not mean work actually gets done. In my experience most Americans could do their work in 8 hours but they find the need to remain at work for 10 + hours. It really defies logic and is not good for anyone.

One underlying theme that helps support all this sad/bad workplace practice is the servitude that most Americans feel to their jobs because of their high dependency on their jobs for healthcare.

Oh well not for long GTFO... here
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

We've been like it across the EU for about 10 years - here people seem wedded to their fix desk space.
So you can fill it with toys and crap.

Amusingly, making it more crap to chuck in a box when you get shit canned
Old Jun 8th 2012, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

So you can fill it with toys and crap.
OMG - YES. The total junk most people leave in their cubes is unbelievable. I work on the minimalist approach - if it fits in my PC tote bag, then that's y office.

I've got more and more used to just starting my laptop from where-ever I am and that being my desk. When GNER started their free WiFi service 10+ years ago, I used to commute up to Edinburgh on the train to customer meetings once a month. I could achieve far more in that time than I could in an office.... And the coffee was better.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 6:59 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
The only time I ran into something similar to that was in Japan but that was due to lack of office space in a very crowded city. Two engineers shared a small desk and didn't even have enough room for a desktop computer on the desk so had to go into the lab where there were hundreds of computers lined up against a wall where the engineers did their programming on any available computer.

In the marketing department, there were limited number of desks so everybody had removable cabinets that attached under the desk and they remove them when they went home at night. In the morning, they would grab their cabinet and roll it to the assigned desk. Their phone number is also assigned to that new desk in the morning.
I worked for a company that grew at a vast rate. I worked there for 10 years, I was employee number 98, when I left there were over 5,000 on the workforce. Hot desking worked well for us, as the engineering and sales departments could have desks for 100 people, and only 10 of them being used. It made financial sense to give that space to departments who needed perm desks and everyone else had to make do.

Everybody in the company had laptops, so getting a computer wasn't an issue. And on the rare occassions when the hot desks were all full, you could walk around and find a permanent who was out of the office so sit at that desk with your laptop.

I really don't understand companies who do it for office based employees though, it has to be very disruptive.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

I really don't understand companies who do it for office based employees though, it has to be very disruptive.
Your experience is exactly the same as mine. Every one gets a laptop/MAC and mobile phone and that's it, off you go.

It seems to work very well and be accepted everywhere except the US ! But we are a US company !

So here, everyone gets a laptop, mobile phone AND an allocated desk space which is then used for less than 10% of the time. But try and take that space away (as I have tried to) and there is a riot on your hands.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

One underlying theme that helps support all this sad/bad workplace practice is the servitude that most Americans feel to their jobs because of their high dependency on their jobs for healthcare.
Totally agree. There are people at work not because they WANT to be at work or are HEALTHY enough to be at work but because basically they'd die if they didn't work to get health insurance.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by N1cky
I worked for a company that grew at a vast rate. I worked there for 10 years, I was employee number 98, when I left there were over 5,000 on the workforce. Hot desking worked well for us, as the engineering and sales departments could have desks for 100 people, and only 10 of them being used. It made financial sense to give that space to departments who needed perm desks and everyone else had to make do.

Everybody in the company had laptops, so getting a computer wasn't an issue. And on the rare occassions when the hot desks were all full, you could walk around and find a permanent who was out of the office so sit at that desk with your laptop.

My visits to Japan were back in the 1980s so there weren't such things as laptops but only luggables. Since you telecommute, do you have a desk at the office? Most of the people that I worked with only telecommuted part time so they had a desk at work except for one person that worked from her home in Boston.

Last edited by Michael; Jun 8th 2012 at 7:28 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the Southwest and work in the public sector. I've basically not dealt with any of what you're talking about.

1) Trying to tie ANYONE down to an email, phone call, meeting time is impossible.
Within our organisation, this isn't a problem. With outside clients/vendors, it completely depends on the individual. Overall, though, I don't have this problem.

2) Mondays and Fridays the office is empty. And by 5.30 EVERY evening.
Oh yeah

4) Shops may be open 24/7, but they really don't have much "stuff" in them.
No stuff? Have you been to CostCo? I live in a pretty remote area and I can get basically anything I want. Especially compared to the UK.

5) Everything just seems so slow. Cars drive slower, people walk slower. Waiting for pedestrians to amble across is painful. There appears to be no sense of urgency in anything.
Well, what's really that urgent? I always laugh at people who are huffing and puffing around, acting as if their lives are so important and they have so many important places to be. Of course, if something needs to be immediately addressed and the person responsible for doing so is progressing with it at a glacial pace, that's another issue, and I don't really encounter that.

I suspect that your situation is partly related to your own company, partly to your type of industry, and partly related to the private sector (I presume) nature of the work. The private sector in the US seems to be a complete crapshoot as far as work days, personalities, and other factors are involved. Still, same could be said of the public sector.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.