Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The strength of the dollar.

The strength of the dollar.

Old Jan 7th 2015, 5:02 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The strength of the dollar.

Originally Posted by Orangepants
The only good thing about having to go back and be based in the London office for a year or so back in 2007/8 in order to qualify for the L1 was the exchange rate. Saw almost $2 to the pound for the majority of the time.
That's when I had to exchange about $50k to put a deposit on my current house. I got about £25k, but today would get £33k.

However, the interest rate I got at that time was for an offset lifetime tracker at BOE + .59% so I can't complain. About 6 months or a year later, such deals didn't exist and mortgage financing regulations tightened up. My monthly interest has been less than £100 for the past 5 years.

It's easy to dwell on the negatives of our financial decisions but often there's a consequent positive somewhere.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 5:12 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

I have some money left in Sterling in a UK account. If the rate ever gets favourable I'll convert it to $ and move it across.

However, here's the prediction that was asked for...

Having recently received paperwork from the bank about my US status, if they decide to close the account to avoid FATCA then that will happen at the same time as the pound reaches new depths against the dollar. Will they close the account? If so, when? No idea, but if it happens tomorrow, then on Friday the pound will start to climb again.

Yes, I'm a pessimist!
Old Jan 7th 2015, 5:33 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

One of the ForX brokers that gets mentioned on BE from time to time predicted, the other day, that during 2015 the £ will trade at between $1.40 - $1.65 to the £. Keeping his options open then.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 6:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
One of the ForeX brokers that gets mentioned on BE from time to time predicted, the other day, that during 2015 the £ will trade at between $1.40 - $1.65 to the £. Keeping his options open then. ......
As the GBP-USD rate has been in that range for probably 75% of the last 25-30 years, it wasn't a tough prediction to make.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 6:22 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As the GBP-USD rate has been in that range for probably 75% of the last 25-30 years, it wasn't a tough prediction to make.
very astute of you to notice that.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
very astute of you to notice that.
Sometimes he does show unbelievable insight.

Old Jan 7th 2015, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

BerkshireBugsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Apologies if this has been stated before but it's worth keeping an eye out for announcement ok UK interest rate changes

A few months ago when it was suggest by the Bank of England monetary committee that base rates may go up the pound went up against the USD to about 1.70 (interbank rate)

Since those increases came to nowt the strength of the GPB against the USD has gone back down

I do not claim to be a financial expert but this change was significant !
Old Jan 7th 2015, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy
Apologies if this has been stated before but it's worth keeping an eye out for announcement ok UK interest rate changes

A few months ago when it was suggest by the Bank of England monetary committee that base rates may go up the pound went up against the USD to about 1.70 (interbank rate)

Since those increases came to nowt the strength of the GPB against the USD has gone back down

I do not claim to be a financial expert but this change was significant !
The British economy is still not growing fast enough to deviate too far from the Euro. The Euro area has deteriorated over the past year so the expected interest rate hike by the BOE is probably delayed. Tightening of monetary policy (interest rate hikes, etc.) normally indicates a healthy economy and the currency normally becomes stronger but the tightening also slows the economy.

Even though it is expected by most economists that the US will raise interest rates next summer, if it happens, the rise will likely be very small and not frequent like most recoveries. Raising the discount rate from 0% to 0.25% means little especially if the next rise is 6 months later and is also another 0.25% rise. If a central bank is too aggressive, it throws the economy back into a recession.

In my opinion, the best scenario would be for the US economy to consistently grow at a 4%+ rate, average 400,000 jobs created per month, and the Fed tightens. The USD will likely rise but Europe will likely be pulled up by the US recovery and then a reversal in currency strengths will likely take place.

Last edited by Michael; Jan 7th 2015 at 8:00 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute

My bank at the moment is giving 1.45 to the £..

I need the money within the next couple of days/weeks- not sure if it's feasible to transfer it now or wait a couple of days?

Just a few weeks back it was 1.51 to the £. Compared to that this is wayy less!
Old Jan 8th 2015, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
My bank at the moment is giving 1.45 to the £..

I need the money within the next couple of days/weeks- not sure if it's feasible to transfer it now or wait a couple of days?

Just a few weeks back it was 1.51 to the £. Compared to that this is wayy less!
I held out for a fortnight hoping for a bit of a bounce back and finally changed some today, luckily only had to change a small amount but necessity overruled nerve!!! I'm no expert but I predict that the rate will drop further tomorrow, next week is anyone's guess!!!
Old Jan 8th 2015, 6:09 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I will shortly have to transfer the proceeds of my house sale from GBP to USD and am wondering whether I should do so in one fell swoop, or hedge my bets and do it in 'chunks' through the course of six to nine months.
Did anyone here use a similar strategy? Or do you just suck it up and avoid checking the rates again for several years?!
Old Jan 8th 2015, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

BerkshireBugsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by username.exe
I will shortly have to transfer the proceeds of my house sale from GBP to USD and am wondering whether I should do so in one fell swoop, or hedge my bets and do it in 'chunks' through the course of six to nine months.
Did anyone here use a similar strategy? Or do you just suck it up and avoid checking the rates again for several years?!

The other factor is whether your bank will limit the amount you can transfer either directly or indirectly in one go.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 6:31 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

The other factor is whether your bank will limit the amount you can transfer either directly or indirectly in one go.
Thanks for pointing this out - browsing XE I see that the maximum for a daily transfer is around 5.5k, I was not aware.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 7:00 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
Thanks for pointing this out - browsing XE I see that the maximum for a daily transfer is around 5.5k, I was not aware.
Link? Never heard that before.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

You have to get it authorised. There will be people at the bank who can authorise up to a certain amount depending on their seniority.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.