British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   strength and conditioning jobs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/strength-conditioning-jobs-595617/)

meechan1983 Mar 5th 2009 1:34 pm

strength and conditioning jobs

Hi All

I am sports science graduate with honours and I have a Postgraduate diploma in strength and conditioning from Scotland and I am looking to come over to the US. I will be certified/accredited by the National Strength and Condition association in april and I am looking at the posibility of coming over to US to work in professional sport or with institutes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have expierience in elite rugby

another bloody yank Mar 5th 2009 1:35 pm

Re: strength and conditioning jobs

What is "rugby"?:confused:

meechan1983 Mar 5th 2009 1:43 pm

Rugby is like football but with no padding?????????

the All Blacks????

another bloody yank Mar 5th 2009 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by meechan1983 (Post 7348100)

the All Blacks????

No, some football players are white, mostly quarterbacks though. You might be thinking of basketball.

meechan1983 Mar 5th 2009 1:51 pm

haha love it mate

lisa67 Mar 5th 2009 1:55 pm

Hi

You need to read this:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Then come back with any more specific questions :)

Duncan Roberts Mar 5th 2009 2:00 pm

If you're good enough the pro sports teams/organizations will come looking for you.

meechan1983 Mar 5th 2009 2:03 pm

thanks for that. Well i got invited over for a few interviews last summer but could not make it, however I was to recontact them. I know that I might need to apply for a job, then fly over for an interview as no one in their right mind would employ a stranger. By the look of it, an non-immigrant may be the best idea or a dual intent 01/p1. dont know if my skills are extraordinary but I do have 5yrs of university behind me. Maybe the best option would be an internship perhaps

meechan1983 Mar 5th 2009 2:05 pm

would you not need to send them some information relating to your credentials????? I am from the UK after all, so I would probably need some experience in US sports before this was feasible???

Duncan Roberts Mar 5th 2009 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by meechan1983 (Post 7348155)
By the look of it, an non-immigrant may be the best idea or a dual intent 01/p1.

Don't even start thinking about that. If you can get a job then they will work out the visa, if one is an option.

Originally Posted by meechan1983
would you not need to send them some information relating to your credentials????? I am from the UK after all, so I would probably need some experience in US sports before this was feasible???

Maybe you're starting to see how hard this will be. Put it this way, expect that you will never be able to work and live in the US and that should the opportunity come your way you are very, very lucky and in the minority. Like I said before, with the kind of job you want it's who knows you. I met a guy last year who came over to coach with a football team for the summer, he knew the manager and had worked with him in the past. He ended up playing for them, doing well and is now playing in the MLS. It's similar for the behind the scenes people.

Patrick Hasler Mar 5th 2009 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by meechan1983 (Post 7348100)

the All Blacks????

You could point out that American football is really a puffy imitation of Rugby !

After all Rugby came first and mamby pamby colonials couldn't take the pain that came with it so they decided to use armour to stop hurting themselves.

Rugby footbal was invented by William Webb Ellis who was a sudent at Rugby school and first picked up a football during a game and ran with it. :) There have since been a few variations of the game ... American football, Australian rules football and Gaelic football for instance, the later two of which are not played by pooftas who have to wear protective colthing :rofl::rofl:

tamms_1965 Mar 5th 2009 2:12 pm

My stepson has his sports science 2 yr credential but is working in a factory in England saving "spending" money for his 4 years as a soccer player for a small university in the U.S. His scholarship pays the rest....it was only way he could get here.

tamms_1965 Mar 5th 2009 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler (Post 7348170)
You could point out that American football is really a puffy imitation of Rugby !

After all Rugby came first and mamby pamby colonials couldn't take the pain that came with it so they decided to use armour to stop hurting themselves.

Rugby footbal was invented by William Webb Ellis who was a sudent at Rugby school and first picked up a football during a game and ran with it. :) There have since been a few variations of the game ... American football, Australian rules football and Gaelic football for instance, the later two of which are not played by pooftas who have to wear protective colthing :rofl::rofl:

But look at which of the three seems to be most popular and what players get paid the ridiculous salaries.

meechan1983 Mar 5th 2009 2:16 pm

I imagined it be be very hard to get to work/live in the US. I have been getting good feedback though when it comes to jobs/interns etc. Its very very hard in a field like this to get anywhere

Duncan Roberts Mar 5th 2009 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by meechan1983 (Post 7348182)
I have been getting good feedback though when it comes to jobs/interns etc.

That means nothing. Getting a job is the easier part of employment based immigration. You can have 100 job offers but that doesn't mean you will be granted a visa or that the companies will even sponsor one.