British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Street Smarts USA vs UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/street-smarts-usa-vs-uk-735062/)

loss Oct 9th 2011 1:31 am

Street Smarts USA vs UK

theres very places in england or toronto where I wouldnt walk around, no matter what time of the day, maybe a few council estates in London, but I Lived on one for few years when I was kid anyway,

I want to do more traveling in the States, on my own but from past experiences people seem to react negatively to me from visiting places there, and walking round I dont feel as safe.

like I want to travel to NYC and go to some gigs and get the subway late at night, etc I did this all the time in London Brixton and camden,

any advice on this thanks on

ian-mstm Oct 9th 2011 1:54 am

Re: Street Smarts USA vs UK

Originally Posted by loss (Post 9665244)

It's not clear what you want... since you didn't actually ask a question. Do you want suggestions for places where you can travel alone at night? What's your risk tolerance? How scary is too scary?

Ian

loss Oct 9th 2011 1:59 am

what are differences in street smarts between the USA and UK, Im not scared of places but theres being stupid as well,

dbj1000 Oct 9th 2011 2:32 am

Wins prize for most incomprehensibly illiterate non-question of the week.

Wibblypig Oct 9th 2011 2:49 am

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 9665293)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :thumbsup:

md95065 Oct 9th 2011 2:52 am

Originally Posted by loss (Post 9665265)
what are differences in street smarts between the USA and UK, Im not scared of places but theres being stupid as well,

The difference for you is that you know the places that you visit in the UK and you don't know them in the US ... :sneaky:

Michael Oct 9th 2011 3:08 am

In NYC, there are places that a white person shouldn't visit at night or possibly even during the day but there are other places such as the area around Grand Army Plaza in Brooklyn which is about 90% black that you would probably be very comfortable and secure and meet some of the nicest people you have ever met.

What you don't want to do is put yourself in an area (especially at night) that you don't know.

As far as the subway late at night in NYC, I've never had a problem but like anywhere, the drunks, gangs, and muggers are out at that time and may be looking for a fight or something else.

Actually, NYC is a pretty safe city overall. Of the 10 largest US cities, it is ranked as the second lowest city for crime behind only San Jose CA.

BILDER Oct 9th 2011 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 9665293)

Bahaha :rofl:

Originally Posted by loss (Post 9665244)
theres very places in england or toronto where I wouldnt walk around, no matter what time of the day, maybe a few council estates in London, but I Lived on one for few years when I was kid anyway,

I want to do more traveling in the States, on my own but from past experiences people seem to react negatively to me from visiting places there, and walking round I dont feel as safe.

like I want to travel to NYC and go to some gigs and get the subway late at night, etc I did this all the time in London Brixton and camden,

What on earth are you asking?? Seriously, Jane and Finch has nothing on Delancey and Essex NYC.
Are you asking about your street smarts? I and I doubt any other member can make an assessment about your street smarts. Your other kind of smarts...
Or are you talking about comparing the people of these two cities' street smarts.

Anyway you cut it, a thoroughly odd question.

ian-mstm Oct 9th 2011 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by BILDER (Post 9666433)
Seriously, Jane and Finch has nothing on Delancey and Essex NYC.

I used to leave near Dufferin and Finch... pretty tame by comparison to Jane... and the projects.

Ian

LBJR07 Oct 9th 2011 11:11 pm

The same as the UK...only with guns :p

BILDER Oct 10th 2011 12:06 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9666478)
I used to leave near Dufferin and Finch... pretty tame by comparison to Jane... and the projects.

Ian

Yeah, that whole area is pretty shady.