Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

strange situation

strange situation

Old Feb 6th 2004, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

angharad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default strange situation

a friend of mine immigrated to the USA as an infant (his parents got green cards but he never did). now he's 28 years old and has only a British passport (even though he hasn't even been to the UK since he left at age 2.) obviously he's weary of making inquiries b/c he doesn't want to move back to the UK but he would like a way to become a US citizen. has anyone ever heard of anything like this or know legally where someone in this situation stands?
thanks!
Old Feb 6th 2004, 8:11 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: strange situation

Originally posted by angharad
a friend of mine immigrated to the USA as an infant (his parents got green cards but he never did). now he's 28 years old and has only a British passport (even though he hasn't even been to the UK since he left at age 2.) obviously he's weary of making inquiries b/c he doesn't want to move back to the UK but he would like a way to become a US citizen. has anyone ever heard of anything like this or know legally where someone in this situation stands?
thanks!
how does he earn a living then?
Old Feb 6th 2004, 8:38 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

thanks!
How have his parents remained here 26 years and he not got a gc? He need residency to get a SSN, to get work etc, etc, etc.

I suggest he sees an immigration lawyer, they will tell him what he has to do, we cannot help. If he sees an immigration lawyer he will tell him the best thing to do.

The next best thing would be to marry an american and apply for everything that way! He is 28, its about time he settled down anyway, its not like he has a job, or has a car as he can't have any credit.

Patrick
Old Feb 6th 2004, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by manc1976
how does he earn a living then?
he does casual work here and there to get by
Old Feb 6th 2004, 8:40 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

The next best thing would be to marry an american and apply for everything that way! He is 28, its about time he settled down anyway, its not like he has a job, or has a car as he can't have any credit.
a real catch for some lucky lady
Old Feb 6th 2004, 8:42 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

he does casual work here and there to get by
See a lawyer, he is here illegally and working illegally. If he doesn't want to get into big trouble he has to see a lawyer. His only chance may be to leave and enter legally (or marry)!

Patrick
Old Feb 6th 2004, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Patrick
How have his parents remained here 26 years and he not got a gc? He need residency to get a SSN, to get work etc, etc, etc.

I suggest he sees an immigration lawyer, they will tell him what he has to do, we cannot help. If he sees an immigration lawyer he will tell him the best thing to do.

Patrick
His parents never applied for one on his behalf and when he got older he realized it was too late. I've been telling him for years to see a lawyer but he's terrified of being deported. The only reason he told me about his situation is b/c he thought I might be able encounter someone whose been in a similar situation as I am currently going through the Green Card process myself.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 10:32 pm
Pagan Sex God

His parents never applied for one on his behalf and when he got older he realized it was too late. I've been telling him for years to see a lawyer but he's terrified of being deported. The only reason he told me about his situation is b/c he thought I might be able encounter someone whose been in a similar situation as I am currently going through the Green Card process myself.
There was a guy on here about a year ago and he was Mexican, his mother moved here when he was tiny and he always thought he was legal. He found out recently he wasnt, but this is the only life he knew so he saw a lawyer, he went to the courts to keep himself here as he could not speak spanish and only knew american culture.

tell him to get a lawyer

Patrick
Old Feb 7th 2004, 5:22 am
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all

thanks!
Workshy git deserves all he gets.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 7:52 pm
Franklin

Originally posted by JulianB
Workshy git deserves all he gets.
Including USC!

:lecture: Why did his parents not do their affirmative duty by their child before he turned into an adult?

Boggles the mind ... :scared: "What were they thinking?"

Old Feb 7th 2004, 8:17 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Patent Attorney
Including USC!

:lecture: Why did his parents not do their affirmative duty by their child before he turned into an adult?

Boggles the mind ... :scared: "What were they thinking?"
Perhaps thinking isn't part of their repertoire?
Old Feb 8th 2004, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Poshpaws is an unknown quantity at this point

Why wouldn't his parents obtain a green card for him also? We did for our daughter when she was 10. She is still a British citizen, but retains the right to work in the USA. What were they thinking then?