British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Storage facilities (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/storage-facilities-519890/)

IceBrit Mar 7th 2008 4:50 pm

Storage facilities

Hello everyone,

wondered if anyone could recommend a storage facilities near Manhattan?

W're moving next month and will need to empty a 4 bedroom house and move into a 2 bed flat. The storage here in UK is going to cost us about £200 a month and we wouldn't have access to our stuff when it suits us so wondered if we could find storage over there for same or preferably less money.

Any recommendation would be very welcomed.

Cheers!

Bluegrass Lass Mar 7th 2008 6:46 pm

Re: Storage facilities

Originally Posted by IceBrit (Post 6031424)
Hello everyone,

W're moving next month and will need to empty a 4 bedroom house and move into a 2 bed flat. The storage here in UK is going to cost us about £200 a month and we wouldn't have access to our stuff when it suits us so wondered if we could find storage over there for same or preferably less money.

Cheers!

I can't recommend any particular company for you, but you should seriously consider renting only a climate controlled unit. The extreme temps here, along with the humidity can do damage to furniture and goods. It is more expensive though.

Jerseygirl Mar 7th 2008 6:59 pm

Hello everyone,

Cheers!

There are loads of storage companies around...try Google.

I concur with sunflwrgrl13 about an air con unit.

frrussre Mar 7th 2008 8:36 pm

Hello everyone,

Cheers!

Storage in Manhattan, is pretty expensive.
Uptown, Mid or downtown?
Reg.

lapin_windstar Mar 7th 2008 9:29 pm

Wait - what do you actually need?

Do you need somewhere you can keep your stuff and access it yourself at short notice? If so, you'll need Public Storage, Manhattan Mini Storage, or somewhere else self-service in NYC etc.

Or do you just need a big warehouse somewhere that you can put your stuff in so that if you eventually move into a bigger place, you can have it taken out of storage and moved in? Because in that case you can stick it in Ohio (or wherever) and have it put on a truck at a week's notice if you ever need it.

You don't want to be renting space in one of the world's most expensive real estate markets if you can avoid it!

Jerseygirl Mar 7th 2008 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar (Post 6032292)
Wait - what do you actually need?

Do you need somewhere you can keep your stuff and access it yourself at short notice? If so, you'll need Public Storage, Manhattan Mini Storage, or somewhere else self-service in NYC etc.

Or do you just need a big warehouse somewhere that you can put your stuff in so that if you eventually move into a bigger place, you can have it taken out of storage and moved in? Because in that case you can stick it in Ohio (or wherever) and have it put on a truck at a week's notice if you ever need it.

You don't want to be renting space in one of the world's most expensive real estate markets if you can avoid it!

She could always choose somewhere just outside Manhattan. That way she could access her belongings as and when. Wouldn't be as convenient but it would be less expensive.

IceBrit Mar 8th 2008 12:15 pm

Lapin_Windstar's right, we just need storage for our stuff for when and if we move into a bigger place so it could be anywhere really. I always like to work by recommendations and it would be really great to have an idea of price.

I've googled websites of course but you never get a price idea without phoning them up and I can do without the hassle of someone trying to sell themselves, specially as we only have 4 weeks to go!

Any suggestions?

Jerseygirl Mar 8th 2008 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by IceBrit (Post 6034160)
Lapin_Windstar's right, we just need storage for our stuff for when and if we move into a bigger place so it could be anywhere really. I always like to work by recommendations and it would be really great to have an idea of price.

I've googled websites of course but you never get a price idea without phoning them up and I can do without the hassle of someone trying to sell themselves, specially as we only have 4 weeks to go!

Any suggestions?

Try the URL below...you should be able to get a quote on line.

http://www.publicstorage.com/index.aspx

I put in a location in Hoboken NJ...the first month is $1 then approx $270 per month...+7% state tax. Brooklyn is approx $300 per month.

Ray Mar 8th 2008 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6034200)
Try the URL below...you should be able to get a quote on line.

http://www.publicstorage.com/index.aspx

I put in a location in Hoboken NJ...the first month is $1 then approx $270 per month...+7% state tax. Brooklyn is approx $300 per month.

A lot cheaper in 34667

Jerseygirl Mar 8th 2008 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 6035074)
A lot cheaper in 34667

Gosh it is...incredible.

Ray Mar 8th 2008 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6035103)
Gosh it is...incredible.

Us poor southerners

bevinva Mar 9th 2008 3:17 am

Are your household goods being sent in two shipments? Obviously a 4 bed house worth of stuff won't fit into the 2 bed apartment. Surely you are not taking full delivery at the storage unit and moving the rest yourself. Moving in NYC is probably not easily done. I'm just a bit (well a lot usually) confused.

Other than that the other storage options given are good.