Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Stopping for fire trucks

Stopping for fire trucks

Old Nov 20th 2013, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stopping for fire trucks

Is it law in the US to stop for a fire truck going in the opposite direction to you?
A number of times now I've had a bunch of cars stopping and pulling over I front of me, when the truck is on the opposite site, going in the opposite direction and really far away ( the roads are huge ). The people here seem to go into a complete panic and it's probably the cause of many accidents. Stupid if you ask me.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stopping for fire trucks

Local laws probably vary.

At a minimum I think you are meant to yield the right of way and if practical pull over to one side usually the right, whether you should actually come to a stop I don't know. They may have to pull into your lane to bypass congestion on their side so yes even if going in the other direction.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

The one place where it happened, there's a central reservation. No chance of pulling into any oncoming lanes.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 7:54 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if it's the law, since I was never taught to do it that way, but I am frequently confused about which direction the fire truck is coming in, so I pull over regardless. Most often, the rest of traffic does as soon as I make it plain what I'm doing, so I don't think anyone's sure. I know traffic has to stop both ways for a school bus letting off children, so maybe people assume it is the case. It makes sense. Emergency vehicles sometimes need to drive on the oncoming side if the side of the road they are on is too congested.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It's the law here.

What actually happens is everyone panics and starts weaving around.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It's the law here.

What actually happens is everyone panics and starts weaving around.
Actually I think that even California doesn't require you to pull over if the emergency vehicle is on the other side of a divded highway, which was the specific case that the OP mentioned.

The rule about "pulling over" for emergency vehicles ignores the reality of typical road conditions where "pulling over" can easily lead to grid lock and leave the emergency vehicle completely blocked by stationary traffic.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen people pull over when a fire truck is coming the opposite direction (on an undivided highway obviously). I assumed it was the law here.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 8:36 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

From my state's driver manual:
EMERGENCY VEHICLES
You must yield the right-of-way to police, fire, ambulance, or any other emergency vehicles using a
siren or air horn, and a red or blue flashing light. Pull over to the right edge of the road, or as
near to the right as possible, when you see or hear an emergency vehicle approaching from any
direction. If you are in an intersection, drive through the intersection before you pull over.
Remain stopped until the emergency vehicle passes. Follow any instructions given over the emergency
vehicle’s loudspeaker. Emergency vehicles may follow each other so proceed only when the way is clear.
In summary - pull over and stop.

Regards, JEff
Old Nov 20th 2013, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Actually I think that even California doesn't require you to pull over if the emergency vehicle is on the other side of a divded highway, which was the specific case that the OP mentioned.
OP just said 'the opposite direction' in his first post. I don't know about the reservation. We should check I suppose.

Seems to be any vehicle in the surrounding area.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21806.htm

Last edited by Sally Redux; Nov 20th 2013 at 9:14 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 8:58 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
From my state's driver manual:

In summary - pull over and stop.

Regards, JEff
That was my understanding (at least for Illinois). Surely for divided highways, one doesn't have to pull over unless for some reason the emergency vehicle has had to pull on to your carriageway and move against the flow of traffic, though?

Of course, if they are on your side and moving with traffic in the same direction as you, then the pull over/stop still applies.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

It should have a piece about it in your state's driver education booklet. I think if it's a divided highway, you don't have to. If it is one lane either side (a normal road), I think you have to pull over even if the emergency vehicle is coming towards you as well as from behind. If I hear sirens, I usually look in the mirrors, as it's not always clear which direction they are coming from.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 9:14 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I've checked my state's manual and California's manual. Both say essentially the same thing, neither makes any mention of a divided highway situation.

As with many immigration issues one may have to look at the law itself, not a Cliff's Notes version.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by joto
It should have a piece about it in your state's driver education booklet. I think if it's a divided highway, you don't have to.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 9:45 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
OP just said 'the opposite direction' in his first post. I don't know about the reservation. We should check I suppose.

Seems to be any vehicle in the surrounding area.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21806.htm
Interesting. Here is what DMV gives as an interpretation:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl603/teen_htm/special.htm

From experience, I will not pull over if I SEE that the emergency vehicle is on the other side of a divided highway. If I can't see the vehicle, but can hear that it is close, I will slow down and get over to the right to be prepared to take the right action. If I see the vehicle on the other side of a NON-divided road, I will pull over to give the vehicle access to the entire road.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

Although I didn't state in the original post, I was mostly referring to the divided highway situation. I was just curious as it shocks me everytime other people start to panic and weave about when the truck is clearly nowhere near us.

Makes no odds to me. I can stop or not stop. It just seems a bit of common sense is in order sometimes.

I just have to make sure I don't rear end anyone when I'm looking at the pretty fire truck go by.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
From experience, I will not pull over if I SEE that the emergency vehicle is on the other side of a divided highway. If I can't see the vehicle, but can hear that it is close, I will slow down and get over to the right to be prepared to take the right action. If I see the vehicle on the other side of a NON-divided road, I will pull over to give the vehicle access to the entire road.
Yes, this is exactly how I play it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.