Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Stopped for shoplifting (stealing, not trying to lift the shop up ;))

Stopped for shoplifting (stealing, not trying to lift the shop up ;))

Old Dec 20th 2006, 1:16 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stopped for shoplifting (stealing, not trying to lift the shop up ;))

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
OK...but your chimney's still on fire. I'm calling 911.
Your mouse is mad I'm calling the RSPCA
Old Dec 20th 2006, 1:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stopped for shoplifting (stealing, not trying to lift the shop up ;))

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
Your mouse is mad I'm calling the RSPCA
No...it's a happy dancing mouse.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 1:25 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
No...it's a happy dancing mouse.
ahh he's drunk always wondered why his eyes were cross-eyed
Old Dec 20th 2006, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by texas_ranger
The "see you in court" thing was a bit tongue in cheek and I guess was my attempt at satirising the litagious nature of the US.
I fully don't intend to take this any further.

The material damages are incidental.
However, they have taken away from me a very special event in my life (seeing my 2nd child for the first time - albeit on a sonogram - and being a supportive partner for my wife), and whilst I can't quantify what that means, I'm sure some ambulance chaser can.

Plus I got wet.
If that's not an excuse to sue in the US, I don't know what is!!!

Why not give them a chance at it?
Incidentally; Slander, Defamation, False Imprisonment and Negligent/Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress all spring to mind.

I was thinking of playing the race card too - "Is it because I is Scottish?"
Discriminating against an immigrant seems to be a topic of hot debate currently, with a number of advocate groups. I wonder if there is a Scottish branch to go with the Mexican/Cuban/Puerto Rico/etc.. groups.
I sense a number of different angles which could be taken in a scenario like this.

I bet the news would be interested also. fox News would have a field day. They'd probably bring the Outside broadcast unit and fly helicopters over the place. At least from what I've seen on the Fox 4 News to date.

I guess it will be a learning experience for me to understand what the legal take on it might be.

Fully agree that the Manager has been more than reasonable.

C
Rather than pursue the compensation route, I would want the three individuals involved formally disciplined. They obviously did not follow the law, as if an individual requests the police be called, they have to be.

You should definately write to the CEO of the company and inform him/her of what took place. Only this way will things change in the store.

I personally would rather have a grovelling handwritten letter from the manager of the store and CEO, and the best revenge...NEVER shop there, tell all your friends about it, and write to the local paper letters page detaling the ugly incident.

So sorry to hear about it all, hope you are feeling better now!
Old Dec 20th 2006, 4:54 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Missing seeing an 8-week scan? Pull yourself together mate.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 5:56 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

You definitely should get more satisfaction than just a $50 gift card.

At the risk of being self-iindulgent, give a read to posts #26 and 28 of this thread, and modify them for your situation: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...1&page=2&pp=15

There is a difference here, namely that you may actually have grounds for litigation. I don't know if I'd ultimately take it that far, but I'd be going for the jugular here, including the fate of some of those employees, a nice letter of apology and a check with more digits than the value of that gift card. I wouldn't let this slide: others shouldn't be subjected to this sort of treatment, and the staff at the store deserve a lesson in how to use better judgment in these situations.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Texas...as an aside your writing is brilliant; you had me on the edge of my chair reading your story. Why not send it to the local paper? You might get some money and revenge at the same time.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
ahh he's drunk always wondered why his eyes were cross-eyed
looks like me last night at our staff christmas party
Old Dec 20th 2006, 11:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
You definitely should get more satisfaction than just a $50 gift card.

At the risk of being self-iindulgent, give a read to posts #26 and 28 of this thread, and modify them for your situation: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...1&page=2&pp=15

There is a difference here, namely that you may actually have grounds for litigation. I don't know if I'd ultimately take it that far, but I'd be going for the jugular here, including the fate of some of those employees, a nice letter of apology and a check with more digits than the value of that gift card. I wouldn't let this slide: others shouldn't be subjected to this sort of treatment, and the staff at the store deserve a lesson in how to use better judgment in these situations.
Hello...I was going to suggest that the OP contact you.

To the OP...if you are interested how my problem was resolved PM me.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
Rather than pursue the compensation route, I would want the three individuals involved formally disciplined. They obviously did not follow the law, as if an individual requests the police be called, they have to be.

You should definately write to the CEO of the company and inform him/her of what took place. Only this way will things change in the store.

I personally would rather have a grovelling handwritten letter from the manager of the store and CEO, and the best revenge...NEVER shop there, tell all your friends about it, and write to the local paper letters page detaling the ugly incident.
This is the road I would take, $50 is $50 that gets written off by the store but at the end of the day no one has really taken responsibility for their actions. I would want written apologies from everyone involved.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 11:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
This is the road I would take, $50 is $50 that gets written off by the store but at the end of the day no one has really taken responsibility for their actions. I would want written apologies from everyone involved.

I wouldn't think the company's lawyers would allow that...it would admit liability.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 11:56 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by texas_ranger
A wee story about my shopping experience today (Whilst the material facts are exact, some of ................legal advice regarding the situation. I explained the story, and they said they would call me back.
See you in court!
Watch this space for further developments.....C
Ghastly story.

Sorry to hear of your experience. Sadly, it is a rare occurence in America that the "happy, happy, joy, joy customer service" is ever anything more than that - unfortunately, it is usually just a front.

Best wishes with your good news.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly I know little about US lawand its workings, but from my knowledge of UK Criminal Law, I would consider that the following are the same.You were detained inside the store.Wrong, the offender has to have left the store,prior to being detained by representatives of the store.(reason you may have been going to the light to see if the item was the right colour in normal light prior to purchase.)They have to clearly ID themselves to you. They have to tell you why you are being detained,the full circumstances,if practicable(ie calm & not fighting)If you are detained and anyone alledges you have removed property without permission then the Police should automatically be called to assess the circumstances.One of the main points you might think about is that all stores now have internal video cameras and your alledged actions should therefore be potrayed on the video.If not, where was their evidence in the first place to detain you.If one of the employees states that he/she saw you remove property then what was it and in what location of the store. You are not obliged to remove any personel property by the staff of the store until a Police officer arrives.They cannot search you themselves.It is easy to say now, but the Police should have been called.What they did was totally unlawful and the fact that the manager is offering you a bribe(which is what that amounts to) they know they were totally out of order.I understand that you have taken legal advice but I would also visit your local police Station and seek advice, as there were criminal actions taken by staff of the store.I understand, that along with others, it is the easy way to try and get compensation from the store but the actions are much more serious than that.There is no justification in their actions whatsoever.If the advice you sought by putting the details on here are so distressing and you found it to be so as you said, for the safety of others take some serious form of action.You should just not be treated this way. The Law is there to protect people like you and me in whatever country we find ourselves in.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 1:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry you had to go through this. However, I see it as your placing your pride first and your desire to see your child's first "photo" second. Would have been a simple matter of emptying your pockets, get the interrogation over with in two minutes and then go back to press your case.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 1:20 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I would have just emptied my pockets in front of the old geezer to prove my innocence and if he was polite, would have wished him a good day. If he wasn't polite I would have emptied my pockets and then told him to fxxc off. And then NOT missed the key event.

IMHO - that's where you went wrong. Shop-lifting is a crime that's hard to detect. The old' geezer did his job - after all, your initial actions were actually quite suspicious, even if your intent wasn't.. but could have been solved quickly. I'm stopped all the time when the beeps go off / or in Costco (every time) or sometimes just fo rthe hell of it.. Who cares, it takes seconds..

Just my controversial 2 cents...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.