Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Stop Payments - UK Pension Info Request

Stop Payments - UK Pension Info Request

Old Aug 10th 2014, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stop Payments - UK Pension Info Request

If this isn't the right forum, I hope a moderator will move this to a more appropriate one.

I'm trying to find out how to stop UK pension payments for someone who is now dead and has no living spouse or qualified dependents. There seems to be a lot of information when one spouse dies and pension payments continue for the surviving spouse... but nothing (that I can find) about letting them know that the surviving spouse has now died and to stop the payments.

This is all about my own mom and dad. Both lived and worked in the UK from 1938 until 1959 when we all moved to Canada. Dad died 8 years ago and his payments (as well as my mom's own pension) were transferred to my mom. Well, mom's now dead as well and neither my brother nor I can figure out how to contact whatever branch of the UK government that controls these things. We would like to let them know that there's no one else alive to collect a UK pension, and to cease payments. We are prepared to repay any pension amount (admittedly, not all that much) already distributed in the few months since mom's death... but we're not sure where to start. I'd appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!

Ian
Old Aug 10th 2014, 3:41 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stop Payments - UK Pension Info Request

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If this isn't the right forum, I hope a moderator will move this to a more appropriate one.

I'm trying to find out how to stop UK pension payments for someone who is now dead and has no living spouse or qualified dependents. There seems to be a lot of information when one spouse dies and pension payments continue for the surviving spouse... but nothing (that I can find) about letting them know that the surviving spouse has now died and to stop the payments.

This is all about my own mom and dad. Both lived and worked in the UK from 1938 until 1959 when we all moved to Canada. Dad died 8 years ago and his payments (as well as my mom's own pension) were transferred to my mom. Well, mom's now dead as well and neither my brother nor I can figure out how to contact whatever branch of the UK government that controls these things. We would like to let them know that there's no one else alive to collect a UK pension, and to cease payments. We are prepared to repay any pension amount (admittedly, not all that much) already distributed in the few months since mom's death... but we're not sure where to start. I'd appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!

Ian
My suggestion would be the DWP, if there isn't anything on their website, there will be a 'contact us' area, just send them an e mail.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 3:44 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Write to the address on this page https://www.gov.uk/international-pension-centre enclosing a copy of the death cert?
Old Aug 10th 2014, 3:47 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Write to the address on this page https://www.gov.uk/international-pension-centre enclosing a copy of the death cert?
There is also a link on that page to e mail them, might be quicker, but who knows.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 3:59 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I just did this for my Mum. After we got the death certificate the registrar gave us a code to use on the "Tell-us-once" service so that all the relevant Government organizations were informed.

https://idp-death-tellusonce.direct....aTuoCitizenIdp

....oops sorry you're in Canada.

Last edited by nun; Aug 10th 2014 at 4:01 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so far! Very much appreciated. I don't know how I could have missed those links, but they seem to be pointing in the right direction!

Ian