Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sticking around?

View Poll Results: Where will you be when you retire?
I'm going home to blighty
19.51%
I'll be staying in the US
31.71%
I'm only here temporarily
7.32%
I have no idea!
41.46%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Sticking around?

Old Dec 14th 2005, 6:25 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sticking around?

Originally Posted by Chorlton
How about you, awp? No ties, UK or US?
Ive got several ties, in particular a nice paisley pattern....Oh I see.

Um, stay a while, see what happens. Probably move state in a couple of years to somewhere less....humid. Wont retire here for sure though.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 6:52 am
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

I've polled "I'll be staying", 'cos I'm already retired and I'm here.

If I am ever left a widow, though (hope not!) I'll be back to the UK as fast as my zimmer frame can get me there!
Old Dec 17th 2005, 6:19 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
So I guess following on from that, having experienced one or more other countries, would you stay here if you had no ties and a good job?
It depends if the good job was really going somewhere, great pay, great benefits, but I would have to be very happy. Although I never stay in a job where I'm not happy, work takes up too much of your time to be miserable. If it was all good, then I would probably buy a house & gradually keep flipping them, while living in it & working. That way, when it did come time to leave, I'd be loaded.
Old Dec 17th 2005, 1:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Yep, I do.
..... I contribute the max allowable to avoid being taxed. From what I understand this is 6% ......
No, the maximum pre-tax contribution is 15%, including any matching contribution by your employer.
Old Dec 17th 2005, 2:10 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
North of Tampa ...
Yeah right Ray if you like well water, septics and those lovely rednecks wi them thar fayn boats. (Not to mention the tornados oh yeah they get them instead of hurricanes) Crap out dated infrastructure anywhere north of Hudson is like the boondocks if you can't shoot don't go there.
Old Dec 17th 2005, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Thydney
Yeah right Ray if you like well water, septics and those lovely rednecks wi them thar fayn boats. (Not to mention the tornados oh yeah they get them instead of hurricanes) Crap out dated infrastructure anywhere north of Hudson is like the boondocks if you can't shoot don't go there.

You're right. Is a horrible place. I heard they dont even have any real shops up there. Or roads. Or houses come to that. Everyone lives in cardboard shacks in alligator and mossie infested swamps. I would hate to live there. Disgusting horrible, horrible place. Infact my advice to anyone coming to FLA is just go straight to Orlando, dont stray outside of it. Its the only civilised place for hundreds of miles. If you see the Orlando City Limits sign FOR GODS SAKE TURN BACK TO THE SAFETY OF THE SOUVENIER SHOPS AND THEME PARKS!! Beyond that its like a, a, wilderness inhabited by sub-humans with buck teeth and big bad ass trucks. And guns. Lots and lots of guns.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 1:48 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
with buck teeth .
The correct phrase is ' Buck Tooth' the plural seldom being found amongst the red neck populous