Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Sticking around?

View Poll Results: Where will you be when you retire?
I'm going home to blighty
16
19.51%
I'll be staying in the US
26
31.71%
I'm only here temporarily
6
7.32%
I have no idea!
34
41.46%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Sticking around?

Old Dec 1st 2005, 6:43 pm
  #1  
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,750
Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Sticking around?

I was just reading the pension thread...so how many of us are going to stay in the US forever? Do you even plan that far ahead?
Chorlton is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2005, 6:45 pm
  #2  
C'mon you Dragons
 
Schnorbitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: 'merica
Posts: 454
Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sticking around?

Originally Posted by Chorlton
I was just reading the pension thread...so how many of us are going to stay in the US forever? Do you even plan that far ahead?
I have no intentions of returning to the UK. But who knows what the future holds?

I also believe that, at 31, by the time I get to retire there will be no state pension.
Schnorbitz is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2005, 6:45 pm
  #3  
Thinking about it
 
BigDavyG's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Mid-West
Posts: 9,435
BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sticking around?

Originally Posted by Chorlton
I was just reading the pension thread...so how many of us are going to stay in the US forever? Do you even plan that far ahead?
Nope, but given that i have paid no attention to pension arrangements so far in my life i find it interesting.
Personally I think I'll be here for 2/3 years. If I stay any longer it'll be because i'm doing extremely well career wise and simply wouldn't be able to find a similar position back home. At the minute though nothing has happened to make me think that i'll be here for more than 2/3 years
BigDavyG is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2005, 6:46 pm
  #4  
Thinking about it
 
BigDavyG's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Mid-West
Posts: 9,435
BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sticking around?

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
I also believe that, at 31, by the time I get to retire there will be no state pension.
Hello old boy
Think you should maybe give the skiing a miss and stick to carpet bowls instead
BigDavyG is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2005, 6:49 pm
  #5  
C'mon you Dragons
 
Schnorbitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: 'merica
Posts: 454
Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sticking around?

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Hello old boy
Think you should maybe give the skiing a miss and stick to carpet bowls instead
LOL. Off topic - BTW managed to successfully graduate from ski school and make it down some greens and a blue on Monday . Limbs intact
Schnorbitz is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2005, 6:50 pm
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
ukmancoll's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 348
ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sticking around?

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Nope, but given that i have paid no attention to pension arrangements so far in my life i find it interesting.
Personally I think I'll be here for 2/3 years. If I stay any longer it'll be because i'm doing extremely well career wise and simply wouldn't be able to find a similar position back home. At the minute though nothing has happened to make me think that i'll be here for more than 2/3 years
I would be interested to know if anyone here is taking advantage of their companys 401k scheme (if your company does indeed have one).

I am only 27, but I know that I don't want to be working until I am 65, so I have started contributing to our scheme at 14% of each pay check... which is a fair chunk. The good thing is, my company will then match it up to 6%.

If you are planning on being in the US for any decent amount of time, I am pretty sure in the future you will thank yourself for setting up this kind of long term investment.
ukmancoll is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2005, 6:58 pm
  #7  
stara koka masna juha
 
cutina's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,203
cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sticking around?

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
LOL. Off topic - BTW managed to successfully graduate from ski school and make it down some greens and a blue on Monday . Limbs intact
that reminds me of my first day on the the green and blue, when i accidentally crossed onto a red and went down the rest of the way on my arse!! Luckily with time i improved!

Enjoy!
cutina is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2005, 7:09 pm
  #8  
Thinking about it
 
BigDavyG's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Mid-West
Posts: 9,435
BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sticking around?

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
LOL. Off topic - BTW managed to successfully graduate from ski school and make it down some greens and a blue on Monday . Limbs intact
Nice work, just don't be getting too cocky
BigDavyG is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2005, 7:12 pm
  #9  
Thinking about it
 
BigDavyG's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Mid-West
Posts: 9,435
BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sticking around?

Originally Posted by ukmancoll
I would be interested to know if anyone here is taking advantage of their companys 401k scheme (if your company does indeed have one).

I am only 27, but I know that I don't want to be working until I am 65, so I have started contributing to our scheme at 14% of each pay check... which is a fair chunk. The good thing is, my company will then match it up to 6%.

If you are planning on being in the US for any decent amount of time, I am pretty sure in the future you will thank yourself for setting up this kind of long term investment.
Yep, I do.
Again I haven't lloked into this in too much detail but I contribute the max allowable to avoid being taxed. From what I understand this is 6% of your salary, so you'll be liable to tax on over half of your contributions.
It would be stupid not to buy in as many employers also contribute to the scheme if you do.
From what I understand the 401k is almost like a savings scheme. Not sure what happens if you want to withdraw funds from it before retirement, but I know my company will let you take out a loan against your 401k balance.
I'll prob just keep contributing and research more when i come to switch jobs or leave the country.
BigDavyG is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2005, 7:14 pm
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
Jabba1's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 808
Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sticking around?

Originally Posted by cutina
that reminds me of my first day on the the green and blue, when i accidentally crossed onto a red and went down the rest of the way on my arse!! Luckily with time i improved!

Enjoy!
Sounds like you just invented a new sport- arse skiing. Who knows, could catch on in a few centuries.
Jabba1 is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2005, 7:50 pm
  #11  
Mr. Grumpy
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 3,100
BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sticking around?

Originally Posted by ukmancoll
I would be interested to know if anyone here is taking advantage of their companys 401k scheme (if your company does indeed have one).

I am only 27, but I know that I don't want to be working until I am 65, so I have started contributing to our scheme at 14% of each pay check... which is a fair chunk. The good thing is, my company will then match it up to 6%.

If you are planning on being in the US for any decent amount of time, I am pretty sure in the future you will thank yourself for setting up this kind of long term investment.

putting that much in is actually probably not that great of an idea. Infact, the money after the 6% is generally better put in a roth IRA (until that allowance is used up and if you qualify for a roth IRA - its income based) and then back into the 401k

I have a great detailed explanation of the 4 main retirement options in the USA (pros + cons) if you want me to email it to you - PM me if required

I'm also 27 BTW. our 401ks are crap and we don't contribute, and a Roth IRA is out for us, so I am in the process of building a property portfolio for a retirement fund
BritGuyTN is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2005, 7:52 pm
  #12  
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 493
Elsie The Maid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sticking around?

I'm here for good. Although I'm still in my 30's, I already have a nice amount stashed away in my 401k. I don't plan on counting on social security or anyone else to supplement my retirement.
Elsie The Maid is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2005, 7:57 pm
  #13  
C'mon you Dragons
 
Schnorbitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: 'merica
Posts: 454
Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sticking around?

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Nice work, just don't be getting too cocky
Don't you worry m'lad. I know my limitations!
Schnorbitz is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:30 pm
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
ukmancoll's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 348
ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sticking around?

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
putting that much in is actually probably not that great of an idea. Infact, the money after the 6% is generally better put in a roth IRA (until that allowance is used up and if you qualify for a roth IRA - its income based) and then back into the 401k

I have a great detailed explanation of the 4 main retirement options in the USA (pros + cons) if you want me to email it to you - PM me if required

I'm also 27 BTW. our 401ks are crap and we don't contribute, and a Roth IRA is out for us, so I am in the process of building a property portfolio for a retirement fund

Hey, I'll PM you. Thanks for the message. I did consider the 14% being too much, and the tax implications, but I wanted to put to work our expendable income right now.

The good thing is that I can change my contribution month to month if I want to. So it's not exactly like I had to make any life changing decisions.

M
ukmancoll is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2005, 8:34 pm
  #15  
Mr. Grumpy
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 3,100
BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sticking around?

Originally Posted by ukmancoll
Hey, I'll PM you. Thanks for the message. I did consider the 14% being too much, and the tax implications, but I wanted to put to work our expendable income right now.

The good thing is that I can change my contribution month to month if I want to. So it's not exactly like I had to make any life changing decisions.

M

great - with things like retirement I always want me options as open as possible
BritGuyTN is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.