British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Steve Martin playing Jacques Clouseau?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/steve-martin-playing-jacques-clouseau-349119/)

CarlM Jan 18th 2006 1:23 pm

Steve Martin playing Jacques Clouseau??

Maybe its just my opinion, but Peter Sellers is the only person on earth who can play that character!

Celtic_Angel Jan 18th 2006 1:26 pm

Re: Steve Martin playing Jacques Clouseau??

Originally Posted by CarlM
Maybe its just my opinion, but Peter Sellers is the only person on earth who can play that character!

I know ...I saw the preview on T.V last night...it looked awful <cringe> :o

I used to love those movies as a kid but watching them now...even the originals are quite crap :p

CarlM Jan 18th 2006 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
I know ...I saw the preview on T.V last night...it looked awful <cringe> :o

I used to love those movies as a kid but watching them now...even the originals are quite crap :p

It must be classifiable as sacrilege.. Its just wrong!

Celsius Jan 18th 2006 1:58 pm

It must be classifiable as sacrilege.. Its just wrong!

Sellars is dead so if someone wants to take the role, it'll just have to be someone else...

Lassie wasn't just one dog, you know. ;)

Chorlton Jan 18th 2006 2:19 pm

Poor old steve :( I feel sorry for him.
I have to say that the recent movie about the life of Peter Sellers was excellent though - highly recommended!!

Thydney Jan 18th 2006 2:43 pm

Steve Martin couldn't touch the brilliance of Peter Sellars one of the finest actors Britain produced. It's another pathetic attempt to hijack the finest films Britain produced and re do them as crap. :mad:

Celtic_Angel Jan 18th 2006 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney
Steve Martin couldn't touch the brilliance of Peter Sellars one of the finest actors Britain produced. It's another pathetic attempt to hijack the finest films Britain produced and re do them as crap. :mad:

yeah "Lady Killers" springs to mind....even the preview was excruciating to watch....who on earth could have sat through the whole movie :scared: :eek:

CarlM Jan 18th 2006 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Celsius
Sellars is dead so if someone wants to take the role, it'll just have to be someone else...

Lassie wasn't just one dog, you know. ;)

True, but Lassie couldnt do an amusing and ridculous French accent either!

anotherlimey Jan 18th 2006 2:49 pm

I think Steve Martin is quite good; I haven't caught this preview yet so I won't comment on this role.

Thydney Jan 18th 2006 2:51 pm

True, but Lassie couldnt do an amusing and ridculous French accent either!

How do you know? :D It could have been talking French all along

CarlM Jan 18th 2006 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney
How do you know? :D It could have been talking French all along

yes, well - to be fair.. It is 'unlikely' Lassie speaks English in an amusing French accent, however, i have no scientific basis for this supposition, and am willing to be proven wrong.

Celtic_Angel Jan 18th 2006 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I think Steve Martin is quite good; I haven't caught this preview yet so I won't comment on this role.

I think Steve Martin is great....does that guy ever age?? he looks the same now as he did in Parenthood?

anyway it sometimes amazes me how a good funny actor can make a bad choice and be in a shit movie....his movie Out of Towners with Goldie Hawn(who I love) was utter shite :scared:

Thydney Jan 18th 2006 3:15 pm

yes, well - to be fair.. It is 'unlikely' Lassie speaks English in an amusing French accent, however, i have no scientific basis for this supposition, and am willing to be proven wrong.

Ow you say ze rurff rurff :D

Paul S Jan 18th 2006 3:32 pm

saw it previewed in the cinema, thought it was a spoof ad for getting you to turn your phone off :eek: Then i discovered its not :rolleyes:

Should have let it lie ;)

Dimsie Jan 18th 2006 3:57 pm

Why do they keep doing re-makes- of anything??

I suppose a modern slant on an old plot can sometimes be entertaining, if the original film is badly dated in some way, or failed to get to the heart of a book it was portraying.

Perhaps "Pink Panther" might be a little dated - fashion-wise, but that's part of its charm for me. Same with the original "War of the Worlds" - dated, but it didn't matter.

I hope they never re-make "The Day the Earth Stood Still" - I couldn't bear it if they changed Gort! LOL!