British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   step-up power converter (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/step-up-power-converter-110173/)

hongwee Aug 5th 2002 7:22 am

step-up power converter

hi guys...this is completely off-topic, but i don't know where else to post this question.
my cousin (living in the US) has asked me to get him a rice-cooker. I've bought one (which is only meant for 220/240V), and now I'm wondering how is he going to get a step-up transformer to use the cooker.
it's rated at 750W, and i've checked RadioShack's online catalog..and they only have one that is rated up to 500W.

please help!

Maarten W.G. An Aug 5th 2002 4:20 pm

Re: step-up power converter

"hongwee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > hi guys...this is completely off-topic, but i don't know where else to post this
    > question. my cousin (living in the US) has asked me to get him a rice-cooker.
    > I've bought one (which is only meant for 220/240V), and now I'm wondering how is
    > he going to get a step-up transformer to use the cooker. it's rated at 750W, and
    > i've checked RadioShack's online catalog..and they only have one that is rated up
    > to 500W.

You can get a more expensive transformer if needed. Check a professonal elektronics
store. Further, TARGET and WALLMART sell ricecookers that work on 110 volt which are
probably CHEAPER then the transformer you are about to buy. Why not buy one there,
and send the 220 volt one to someone that can use it. In Europe or so :)

Usually its not smart to connect applicances from either side of the ocean to
the other ones outlet. Its better to replace it with an appliance that matches
the voltage.

Maarten

hongwee Aug 6th 2002 12:43 am

Thanks Maarten! I've managed to get a power converter locally that'd be suitable.

Anyway..sometimes..just try convincing your spouse..hahahaha...

Have a good day!

Dsquared Aug 24th 2002 7:53 pm

elecgtriocal appliances that draw more than 3 amperes need to be bought for the
country of service.

Small electronics (radio, TV, computers) can be powered from a step-up or down
transformer. Dave

"hongwee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > hi guys...this is completely off-topic, but i don't know where else to post this
    > question. my cousin (living in the US) has asked me to get him a rice-cooker.
    > I've bought one (which is only meant for 220/240V), and now I'm wondering how is
    > he going to get a step-up transformer to use the cooker. it's rated at 750W, and
    > i've checked RadioShack's online catalog..and they only have one that is rated up
    > to 500W.
    > please help!
    > --

Dmitry Pristin Aug 24th 2002 9:20 pm

Try this http://www.dvdover-
seas.com/voltage_converters.htm
Just pay attention that some sensitive devices
(like digital pianos etc.) will suffer from the frequency difference (50Hz vs 60Hz).

"Dsquared" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:ivR99.2588$p%[email protected]
ps.worldnet.att.net
    > elecgtriocal appliances that draw more than 3 amperes need to be bought
for
    > the country of service.
    > Small electronics (radio, TV, computers) can be powered from a step-up or down
    > transformer. Dave
    > "hongwee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > hi guys...this is completely off-topic, but i don't know where else to post this
    > > question. my cousin (living in the US) has asked me to get him a rice-cooker.
    > > I've bought one (which is only meant for 220/240V), and now I'm wondering how is
    > > he going to get a step-up transformer to use the cooker. it's rated at 750W, and
    > > i've checked RadioShack's online catalog..and they only have one that is rated up
    > > to 500W.
    > >
    > > please help!
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > >