Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

step Converters in the US, who is using one and to power what?

step Converters in the US, who is using one and to power what?

Old Nov 6th 2013, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Danoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default step Converters in the US, who is using one and to power what?

There are a number of threads out there on whether you can run EU appliances in the US. A current thread that is interesting is (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=813053) which is talking about how you can if you are supplying the appliances with the right amount of power and wattage. However a theme that has come up in this thread is the dangers of using step converters in terms of overheating and potential fire hazards.

As a result, I wanted to ask people on this forum, who is actually using step converters in their US household for non US goods, and if so, can they answer the following:
1. What step converter are they using?
2. How many Watts is it rated?
3. What goods are they running?
4. Have they ever had any issues with power tripping, over heating or fires?

I would like to understand through peoples experiences just how probable some of these dangers are, as well as understand what type of step converter I may need.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

JHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really niceJHolden47 is just really nice
Default Re: step Converters in the US, who is using one and to power what?

We will be moving to the US shortly and (other than mobiles and a laptop) will not be taking any electronic devices. US family have told is its not worth it. We plan to sell it all and then buy replacements.

My father in law pointed out that when the appliances keel over we will be purchasing US replacement items anyway so over time a converter will be retired.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 12:14 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

We had a 1,500W converter to run about 900W of appliances (plasma TV, UK Wii, DVD player, sound system). It was noisy, and would get hot. Most worryingly, the off switch didn't always work. We always unplugged it from the socket. I'm going to ditch that and just replace the Wii games we still want with USA versions.

We also had a 500W converter to run a KitchenAid mixer (280W if I remember rightly, but I could be wrong there). We bought a new mixer recently, so no need to use that. This was the one we used the most, so it was never run for a long time. Can't say I noticed problems with overheating on that.

We never really used the TV & Wii set up, and with hindsight I would have looked to sell/give to family. The KitchenAid system worked well, but if that was all I was bringing I would have just looked at buying a US one from day 1.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 2:52 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth, I use a 300W step-up converter to run a 50W solid state guitar amp I brought out from home because I can't yet afford a fancy new one

I figured a $30.00-ish converter would do until I have $1,000.00+ to spend. I have used it for a bunch of gigs, with no issues. It heats up a bit but that's no different to your bog standard 9/12V wall wart adapter.

That's all I used it for though, gigs and practices, maximum frequency 2-4 hours per week. Quite honestly, for daily use, unless you're only out here for a very short time and you are 100% definitely returning to the UK, I'd just sell your electronics before you move and buy new ones here.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 3:26 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The wife's Dell laptop (which used to be MY Dell laptop, about 4 years, and hence has a British plug) has been chugging along happily with nothing but a plug converter. It might blow up one day, but at this point it's worth about as much as I paid for the plug ($4) so we're not that bothered.

Incidentally my UK Macbook Air is going along happily having bought a US plug, although I believe the brick on the Macbooks contain a universal step down thingy.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 5:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danoz
However a theme that has come up in this thread is the dangers of using step converters in terms of overheating and potential fire hazards.
It's not so much the potential firehazard, although that exists.

The issue is your household owners/renters insurance is often made null and void if you use one on a regular basis, especially if you haven't notified them in advance.

You tend to find that out when you make a claim, even if the place was only broken into.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 1:04 am
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice

We have a 3000w converter to run our 1850w nespresso machine. It's also been used with my guitar amp, sewing machine, mixer.

My laptop, alarm clock, iPod dock, Gtech carpet sweeper are all working fine with just a plug converter.
Old Nov 8th 2013, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Danoz is an unknown quantity at this point

OK thanks all. That is good to know people have been running a variety of appliances, including some with motors in them. That was the one I was mostly interested in.

Can anyone recommend any particular brand of converter?
Old Nov 10th 2013, 4:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's not so much the potential firehazard, although that exists.

The issue is your household owners/renters insurance is often made null and void if you use one on a regular basis, especially if you haven't notified them in advance.
Is this opinion/forum myth, or something verifiable?

That said, unless electrical equipment is specifically equipped to be dual voltage, it is usually not worth bringing it. Sell it, or take the opportunity to donate to a family in need, before departure.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 3:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I run a 2KW smoothing transformer (I'll have to look at the brand) to power my hifi, which would draw approximately 1KW if I had all components running and ran the amplifier turned up to 10!

It get warm in use, but not hot, and has never tripped it's own breaker or the one for the household circuit it is plugged into.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 10:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Is this opinion/forum myth, or something verifiable?
From a couple of friends.

One had a shed burn down, unrelated to the transformer but insurance denied cover as he was renovating the place using tools he'd brought over with him.

Another had cover voided when they were burgled, only jewellery taken, but on lists of valuables they had with the insurance included their UK TV and they were asked about running it on a transformer.

Do know someone else who never had any issues either mind, but it does happen.