British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Steiner Ranch, Austin TX (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/steiner-ranch-austin-tx-757246/)

Walkerhome May 5th 2012 12:09 pm

Steiner Ranch, Austin TX

We are looking at rentals in Steiner Ranch, as we are due to relocate shortly. My daughters (17 & 6 ) will be going to school. Can anyone give me some advise on which area of Steiner i need to go for to align to the better schools.:unsure:

Thank you

lisa67 May 5th 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Steiner Ranch, Austin TX

Originally Posted by Walkerhome (Post 10042997)
We are looking at rentals in Steiner Ranch, as we are due to relocate shortly. My daughters (17 & 6 ) will be going to school. Can anyone give me some advise on which area of Steiner i need to go for to align to the better schools.:unsure:

Thank you

Hi, sorry that I can't help specifically but you might try looking at www.greatschools.org
And asking your questions on www.city-data.com if you can't get any answers on here.:fingerscrossed:

jjmb May 5th 2012 6:53 pm

all the schools in that area are good and much depend on which part of Steiner Ranch you end up in. Why have you chosen Steiner Ranch? Its pretty far from Austin. Where are you or your spouse commuting to?

Are you coming from the UK? If so, the 17yr might be better going to a community college.or finishing school in the UK. US high school have a totally different education system to the UK. My daughter started at High school when she was 15 and had a very difficult time adapting to the curriculum as in some subjects she was way ahead and some because of the way its is taught here, way behind. She managed it but it was tough time. She still ended up graduating before her classmates.

If she decides to go to university in the first year, she will have to pay out of state international fees for the 1st year. Once she has been here for a year, depending on the visa you are on, she will classed as an 'in state' international student.

Walkerhome May 11th 2012 8:08 am

Originally Posted by jjmb (Post 10043396)
all the schools in that area are good and much depend on which part of Steiner Ranch you end up in. Why have you chosen Steiner Ranch? Its pretty far from Austin. Where are you or your spouse commuting to?

Are you coming from the UK? If so, the 17yr might be better going to a community college.or finishing school in the UK. US high school have a totally different education system to the UK. My daughter started at High school when she was 15 and had a very difficult time adapting to the curriculum as in some subjects she was way ahead and some because of the way its is taught here, way behind. She managed it but it was tough time. She still ended up graduating before her classmates.

If she decides to go to university in the first year, she will have to pay out of state international fees for the 1st year. Once she has been here for a year, depending on the visa you are on, she will classed as an 'in state' international student.

We have been advised by different work colleagues that Steiner is the favoured area to live if you have children?!?. My husband will be working mostly from home, travelling internationally and also working from offices in Round Rock.

We are moving from the UK ( Kent ). My daughter is finishing her Lvl 2NVQ's here and then is going to start her equivalant of A Levels in the US. ( i understand that this probably makes no sense regarding "A" levels etc as in the US its very different) Community College might be the better option. I really do not have a clue about the School system in the US and i am presently tying myself in knots with worry - mostly about my 17 year old. My 6 year old daughter will attend elementry school ( I believe) but it seems even if you move into the school area doesn't mean you will get a space. (!)

We will be on a L-1 (L-2 visa). Did you move from the UK?

jjmb May 11th 2012 4:35 pm

Steiner ranch is definitely orientated towards families and it is a beautiful location near the lakes. If commuting is not an issue, its is apparently a beautiful place to live and pretty exclusive. They have a very good website where you look at all the amenities available - http://www.steinerranch.com/new-home...-steiner-ranch

Do you have a relocation agent? If not, I would ask for one as until you get to Austin, its difficult to tell where the best places are but certainly Steiner would be a good start, plus other areas, West Lake Hills (has the best school is Austin) and Round Rock also has 2 of the best schools in Texas and Westwood High school is classed as a US exemplary school, Rent an apartment for a month or two, if you can't do a look see visit before you move over and take your time on where you will be living. Once you are in an area, you really don't want to be uprooting the kids again if you decide to buy a house.

Your youngest child will have no problems settling into school over here but contact the school district before you move to find out which vaccinations she will need before starting school in August. They will refuse entry if she doesn't have the right vaccinations. School year is from August - May so you will have a long hot summer to look forward to if you arrive before then. You might want to get her tested as well to see which grade she would be most suited for. All the schools in these districts are used to expats relocating so you shouldn't have a problem with that. Depending on her age she will be currently in grade 1 - Age dates 7th birthday before 1st September she would be going up to grade 2 in August, I think but my kids are all beyond school, so hopefully someone will come along and correct me if that is incorrect.

There is no equivalent of As level in the the US. You go to High school for 4 yrs and graduate. I would definitely seek advise about this and if your husband has colleagues in this situation, they might be able to advise you. Going to Community College as an international student will be costly, so see if you husband's company will include that in his allowances for the first year at least, until you become resident. I would advise her to do, at least, her GED as it helps with job applications when she become eligible to work, others might not agreed but its a very short course and probably well within her capabilities. With a GED ( which is community college qualification to say you have completed high school) and your daughter's transcripts for her other qualifications, she shouldn't have any problems getting into a university but again its best waiting a year as she would be classed as an out of state international student for first year which is very expensive. Once you have lived here for a year, she will be classed as in state international which is how my eldest daughter was classed for most of her time at Texas State until she got her green card. (the fees would be the same as any in state student, if she stays in TX)

Other problems your 17yr might encounter is the fact she will not be able to work until you get your Green card applications in. So if you intend to stay, get your green card applications in as quick as you can, which can be pretty quick if your husband is on a LIA visa. Also can she drive?All teenagers drive here from the age of 15/16 :(. We are a family of 5 with 5 cars as it almost impossible to get around without a car and that was before the kids scattered around the state. Be prepared to be chief chauffeur for a while.

If she is a normal 17 yr she will either love it or hate it here. If she is sporty and outgoing, its a great place, My eldest daughter was 15 when she moved here and we arrived in April so she only had 6 wks at high school before the long 3 month summer break. We also only had one car so I was taking my husband to work each day so I could use the car. She hated it here and was definitely moving back to Scotland, once we sorted things out. School started in at the end of August and almost immediately things changed, She found some girlfriends to hang out with and more importantly a boyfriend, ah, true love turned out to be a life saver for us :D and she hasn't looked back. The 1st true love is now a memory but she is now married, a US citizen and expecting her 1st baby, a girl, in a couple of months.

Hope this has answered some questions you have and I am sure there will be other coming along with answers. Austin is a great place to move to, just be prepared for the long hot months of July and August where temp over 100f (38c) are not uncommon.

Walkerhome May 13th 2012 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by jjmb (Post 10054950)
Steiner ranch is definitely orientated towards families and it is a beautiful location near the lakes. If commuting is not an issue, its is apparently a beautiful place to live and pretty exclusive. They have a very good website where you look at all the amenities available - http://www.steinerranch.com/new-home...-steiner-ranch

Do you have a relocation agent? If not, I would ask for one as until you get to Austin, its difficult to tell where the best places are but certainly Steiner would be a good start, plus other areas, West Lake Hills (has the best school is Austin) and Round Rock also has 2 of the best schools in Texas and Westwood High school is classed as a US exemplary school, Rent an apartment for a month or two, if you can't do a look see visit before you move over and take your time on where you will be living. Once you are in an area, you really don't want to be uprooting the kids again if you decide to buy a house.

Your youngest child will have no problems settling into school over here but contact the school district before you move to find out which vaccinations she will need before starting school in August. They will refuse entry if she doesn't have the right vaccinations. School year is from August - May so you will have a long hot summer to look forward to if you arrive before then. You might want to get her tested as well to see which grade she would be most suited for. All the schools in these districts are used to expats relocating so you shouldn't have a problem with that. Depending on her age she will be currently in grade 1 - Age dates 7th birthday before 1st September she would be going up to grade 2 in August, I think but my kids are all beyond school, so hopefully someone will come along and correct me if that is incorrect.

There is no equivalent of As level in the the US. You go to High school for 4 yrs and graduate. I would definitely seek advise about this and if your husband has colleagues in this situation, they might be able to advise you. Going to Community College as an international student will be costly, so see if you husband's company will include that in his allowances for the first year at least, until you become resident. I would advise her to do, at least, her GED as it helps with job applications when she become eligible to work, others might not agreed but its a very short course and probably well within her capabilities. With a GED ( which is community college qualification to say you have completed high school) and your daughter's transcripts for her other qualifications, she shouldn't have any problems getting into a university but again its best waiting a year as she would be classed as an out of state international student for first year which is very expensive. Once you have lived here for a year, she will be classed as in state international which is how my eldest daughter was classed for most of her time at Texas State until she got her green card. (the fees would be the same as any in state student, if she stays in TX)

Other problems your 17yr might encounter is the fact she will not be able to work until you get your Green card applications in. So if you intend to stay, get your green card applications in as quick as you can, which can be pretty quick if your husband is on a LIA visa. Also can she drive?All teenagers drive here from the age of 15/16 :(. We are a family of 5 with 5 cars as it almost impossible to get around without a car and that was before the kids scattered around the state. Be prepared to be chief chauffeur for a while.

If she is a normal 17 yr she will either love it or hate it here. If she is sporty and outgoing, its a great place, My eldest daughter was 15 when she moved here and we arrived in April so she only had 6 wks at high school before the long 3 month summer break. We also only had one car so I was taking my husband to work each day so I could use the car. She hated it here and was definitely moving back to Scotland, once we sorted things out. School started in at the end of August and almost immediately things changed, She found some girlfriends to hang out with and more importantly a boyfriend, ah, true love turned out to be a life saver for us :D and she hasn't looked back. The 1st true love is now a memory but she is now married, a US citizen and expecting her 1st baby, a girl, in a couple of months.

Hope this has answered some questions you have and I am sure there will be other coming along with answers. Austin is a great place to move to, just be prepared for the long hot months of July and August where temp over 100f (38c) are not uncommon.

:starsmile:Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me.

Its so nice to hear your daughter settled and it certainly sounds as if all has worked well for her. I am hoping my daughter settles - she is the one i have the biggest worries for. Your information has helped and i will be concentrating on the school aspect of our move this week :unsure:

We now have a realtor adn are hoping for a whistle stop visit in a few weeks to sort out housing.

Good luck with the grandchild arrival xx

I am sure i will be back this week with a few more questions - but thank you again

Jerseygirl May 13th 2012 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Walkerhome (Post 10057878)
:starsmile:Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me.

Its so nice to hear your daughter settled and it certainly sounds as if all has worked well for her. I am hoping my daughter settles - she is the one i have the biggest worries for. Your information has helped and i will be concentrating on the school aspect of our move this week :unsure:

We now have a realtor adn are hoping for a whistle stop visit in a few weeks to sort out housing.

Good luck with the grandchild arrival xx

I am sure i will be back this week with a few more questions - but thank you again

Regarding the 17 yr old...the first thing that springs to mind is US uni fees. :eek:

SATX John May 13th 2012 6:39 pm

If she does attend High School, she will likely be more advanced from her peers, the advantage of that is she can take Advanced Placement classes.

These classes go toward college credit at the end of the term, but you pay to take the test. Kinda of a twofer... if you will, but it cheaper than paying international rates for community college, I believe.

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index4.aspx?id=3822

Both ours kids were advanced a grade on moving here from Germany. (They wanted our daughter to advance two years).

Also, if she plans on staying in the US having a High School diploma, helps. My wife still combats that as an adult.