Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Stealerships!

Stealerships!

Old Jul 12th 2016, 7:22 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stealerships!

Just took my Prius V to the dealership for a 70k ish service. I bought it used a few months ago and the light for reminding me to get the oil changed came on.

Thank Heavens for internet forums. I was v surprised to be handed an estimate for over $800 of work to be done so I went and checked it all out. In the end, all I actually needed was oil/filter changed, tires rotated, air filter and cabin filter replaced and transmission fluid drained and filled. The total cost using a garage recommended by a neighbour will be about $150. I changed the air and cabin filters myself.

How do the dealerships even have the nerve to rip people off like this?
"Fuel economy maximiser" for $250?? How much more economical can you make a 2 year old prius????
Brake and coolant fluids don't get changed on a prius until over 100k. That'll be about 2 years time for me.

hmmph!!
Old Jul 12th 2016, 8:06 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stealerships!

I have been offered a "transmission flush" three times on our Honda, and a couple more times on the truck and Mustang. ...... You can't "flush" a manual transmission!

In fairness I would characterise that more as stupidity than trying to rip me off though.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Don't write off all dealerships. I always take our two Toyotas to the dealership. For several years they matched any coupon/advertisement from a local repair shop - oil changes, tire rotation, everything. They have now stopped doing that but are still competitive.

I also surprised myself by buying tires from them. Their price, fitted and with alignment, substantially beat all the national chains we have and local dealers.

Not all dealerships are stealerships!

Last edited by MidAtlantic; Jul 12th 2016 at 8:55 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

I think the best stealership experience I have occurred a few years ago when I took my large SUV to a stealership against my better judgement. I was in a rush so I did so to get a quick oil change before going out of town. I should have known what it was like as while I waited I watched the 'customer service' type approach an elderly man who was waiting like me in the 'patient' room. I observed him smoothly talk up the repairs needed and heard amounts like $1500 quoted for this poor mans vehicle.

When it came to my turn another individual came out of the vortex area like a surgeon shaking his head in mock sympathy and proceeded to tell me I needed about $2500 of repairs to my excellent condition 4 year old SUV. Astounded I asked him to show me the repairs needed. Without boring you some the items included: a front caliper apparently on the wrong way around (laughable), a leaking oil pan etc etc, the standard brakes and rotors need replacing. I politely asked them to put the caliper on the correct way around as I assured them it was correct when I brought the vehicle in, I took a cloth to the oil path wiped it clean, and the vehicle never leaked again. I insisted on watching the entire process while they reassembled my vehicle and drove away without paying any of the false repairs.

Over 120k miles later driving across country 3 times I never had a single problem. I still keep the quote sheet even though I no longer own the vehicle as a pointed reminder.

For every honest person out there, there exist charlatans and thieves. This was a larger stealership specialized in the conveyor belt method of taking money from people.

Think very carefully before entering the shiny gates of any of these edifices

Last edited by vikingsail; Jul 12th 2016 at 9:06 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 9:03 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic View Post
Don't write off all dealerships. I always take our two Toyotas to the dealership. For several years they matched any coupon/advertisement from a local repair shop - oil changes, tire rotation, everything. They have now stopped doing that but are still competitive.

I also surprised myself by buying tires from them. Their price, fitted and with alignment, substantially beat all the national chains we have and local dealers.

Not all dealerships are stealerships!
Fair enough but I have also phoned a couple of the other toyota dealerships around me.... one of them told me that it wasn't possible to drain and fill the transmission fluid, that it had to be flushed and the cost would be $375. When I told them that the other dealership had said drain and fill (for $150) and that the Toyota maintenance log also said drain and fill, the reply was "well, we do what is best for the car in the long run". I don't think so....
Old Jul 12th 2016, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

you should really flush oil if changing the oil. I used to put an flusher additive in before I used to change the oil many years ago. If you don't flush the system, you are just mixing clean oil with the dirty sludge. In a dealership this just mean leaving the engine running for a while. Also hybrids are very much start and stop which , may need treating differently. My hybrid needed 0-20 oil because of this. My Jeep they test / inspect the oil and let me know. I have not have to change the fluid yet.

However in the US oil gets changed much more ofter, so maybe you don't need to flush. I pay $18 per oil change at my local Chrysler dealership. Nissan is a lot more.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 11:15 pm
Austin. TX.

Something that I have learned through this episode is that the dealership maintenance schedule doesn't always match the manufacturer's recommended schedule for your specific car. It's really worth getting out the maintenance log and checking that the dealership have actually done what the manufacturer recommends and haven't brought other items forward unnecessarily.

I've also learned that I can go to toyota owners website and fill in the service details that I've done myself and any dealerships work to keep the cars records up to date
Old Jul 12th 2016, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

This reminds me of trpardoe. RIP.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 12:00 am
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post
This reminds me of trpardoe. RIP.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise View Post
He used to give out car advice on this forum. Died in a motorbike accident a few years ago.

Good guy he was.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:28 am
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by anotherlimey View Post
He used to give out car advice on this forum. Died in a motorbike accident a few years ago.

Good guy he was.
Oh I'm sorry to hear that.

I promise that I will be the last person to give car advice. I had a Ford Galaxy in France and I only popped the hood to fill up the washer bottle. I also once tried to top up the oil in my fiat panda using the dipstick hole.....
Old Jul 13th 2016, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30 View Post
However in the US oil gets changed much more ofter, so maybe you don't need to flush. I pay $18 per oil change at my local Chrysler dealership. Nissan is a lot more.
Fords are the same - an oil change, check tires, etc is under $20 using one of the endlessly available vouchers. Hubby had his F-150 done today, but was a bit miffed they didn't also wash it like they used to in Arizona.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 1:29 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds to be no worse than stealerships in the UK.

Parts are always more expensive on foreign built vehicles.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:06 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Love our dealer (Mini).

Always look after us well.. friendly guys on the service desk too.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanidea View Post
Sounds to be no worse than stealerships in the UK.

Parts are always more expensive on foreign built vehicles.
i thought a lot vehicles that are built here use foreign made parts. I don't think there is such a thing as cheap car parts any more.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.