Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Stay in UK or Go back to Walnut?

View Poll Results: Stay in the UK or Go back to Walnut?
Stay in UK
53.33%
Go back to Walnut
46.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Stay in UK or Go back to Walnut?

Old Dec 8th 2022, 4:47 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stay in UK or Go back to Walnut?

Originally Posted by Sg2022
Appreciate all the comments. Thank you. Really wanted an objective opinion. The dilemma is real…

We didn’t have any doubts about moving until we started speaking with friends and family. At one point we were made to feel ungrateful for wishing that we wanted to go back/ why do we want to go back esp after COVID and all news. We feel they’re just waiting to say “I told you so”…
Why would you want to spend time with people that are so eager for you to fail? Leaving them behind doesn't seem like much of a loss to me. I'm assuming from your first post that your kids are US citizens, that would be a driving force for me returning as I wouldn't like the idea that my kids could just up and leave in 20 years time and live in a country I can't so if they needed me I would only be able to visit them rather than stay indefinitely. They'll also need to file US taxes whether they live in the US or not so either living in the US or having parents who, by the time they're old enough to have to file taxes, are also US citizens and know the process, would make it easier for them.
Old Dec 8th 2022, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO Brexit is yet to fully "bite". Come back to California.
Old Dec 8th 2022, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
IMHO Brexit is yet to fully "bite". Come back to California.
Then again what's happening in Britain is already happening in the US and you wouldn't be in the EU there either. It's the same with earthquakes, wildfires, recession etc. and you could say that climate change is yet to fully "bite". Might not concern us, but with kids probably something to consider. Nowhere is without problems, it is worth a lot to have family and be finacially free, even if we don't always appreciate it. And for those who have the cash can always consider the European California and are only really a car drive away from family. Golden Visa, cheaper healthcare/insurance and learning a 2nd language are always options for the wealthy. Of course a lot of people who might move back to the UK make the mistake of moving to the place they were originally from.
Old Dec 8th 2022, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Then again what's happening in Britain is already happening in the US and you wouldn't be in the EU there either. It's the same with earthquakes, wildfires, recession etc. and you could say that climate change is yet to fully "bite".
When I reference Brexit, it's in relation to the economy, not climate. As we know, climate transcends national borders. Regarding risks of recession, I can't see how you can put the US in the same basket as the UK. Apples and oranges. In the US, nothing comparable of the structural change of Brexit has occurred in the last decade. You do realize that if California was regarded a sovereign nation, it would outperform the UK in terms of GDP. And that's just one state.
Old Dec 9th 2022, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

When I reference Brexit, it's in relation to the economy, not climate. As we know, climate transcends national borders. Regarding risks of recession, I can't see how you can put the US in the same basket as the UK. Apples and oranges. In the US, nothing comparable of the structural change of Brexit has occurred in the last decade. You do realize that if California was regarded a sovereign nation, it would outperform the UK in terms of GDP. And that's just one state.
Yes and even a sovereign nation isn't free from problems. GDP also doesn't take into consideration issues with cost of living, high taxes, unemployment, poverty and so on.
When half the population run riot and don't feel they are better off, it's worth nothing if the UK or California have a large economy.
Just saying that Brexit is a very small problem when you look at all problems that haven't fully hit us yet.
Old Dec 9th 2022, 4:40 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Stay in the UK.
Old Dec 9th 2022, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard Walnut Creek called Walnut during the whole time I lived in the East Bay. Especially confusing given there is actually a town called Walnut in southern California, which is what I thought was being referred to when I saw the thread title.

I have no idea what I would do in the OP's situation. I decided myself that I'm unlikely ever to move back to the UK. I've also this general feeling that moving back to exactly where you've lived before may not be the thing to do. I can see reasons why I would leave California though, the primary one being the wildfire situation which is almost certainly going to get worse. Not so much for the local fire risk (although I did live here during the '91 Oakland fire) but what it means for the state as a whole over the next couple of decades and beyond.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Dec 9th 2022 at 9:51 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2022, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Never heard Walnut Creek called Walnut during the whole time I lived in the East Bay. Especially confusing given there is actually a town called Walnut in southern California, which is what I thought was being referred to when I saw the thread title.

I have no idea what I would do in the OP's situation. I decided myself that I'm unlikely ever to move back to the UK. I've also this general feeling that moving back to exactly where you've lived before may not be the thing to do. I can see reasons why I would leave California though, the primary one being the wildfire situation which is almost certainly going to get worse. Not so much for the local fire risk (although I did live here during the '91 Oakland fire) but what it means for the state as a whole over the next couple of decades and beyond.
While you’re at it, why not bring up earthquakes, too?
Old Dec 10th 2022, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

While you’re at it, why not bring up earthquakes, too?
I was here for Loma Prieta in '89 - in an office building on landfill! - but that's a fair point.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Dec 10th 2022 at 4:27 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2022, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

My decisions tend to be weighted almost exclusively on career progression and quality of life. In the OPs specific situation, if moving improves either, I would go back. Hard to give specific advice since only the OP will know the true answer.

In the short term, US>UK (in terms of Brexit effect etc), long term, I foresee struggles for the EU, UK leaving was a huge loss for them, more favorable terms will be offered blah blah and US=UK will likely be more realistic in 10 or so years.

Reading between lines it seems more like cold feet, I say go
Old Dec 12th 2022, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Sg2022 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stay in UK or Go back to Walnut Creek?

Fair point it is actually called Walnut Creek as there’s another place called Walnut.

Career wise - both have promised progressions as both jobs are pretty much the same. OH was on secondment to WC when we lived there and had high praises from both UK and US camps. Salary more in US relative to the higher cost of living.

Lifestyle wise - UK affords EU travels every half term and term breaks. US affords plenty travels too.

Some days I’d like to go and some days I want to stay. In a day I can say the same thing. Thought the wintry cold days would hasten me saying yes to California but it’s making me think twice. Is it worth it uprooting again?

Thanks everyone for your responses - we’re still nowhere to deciding which. Should we flip a coin or ask for a sign from the heavens…
Old Dec 12th 2022, 11:37 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

No idea about Walnut, but it’s seems like you are in a better position than most to decide having lived in both, most have to make that move blind.

The only double Brit family I knew here gone home to be closer to family after getting their GC.

I came through work alone and married an American after I got my GC so we have that support network here from her family, which would have been very expensive when we moved to the burns with young children if not. We had a nanny in the city, but my wife’s mother drove 3h each way and stayed 3 days a week while we were booth commuting to be here in case daycare called and do pickup.

The one thing I will say is going back and forth will get expensive if your selling houses etc.

In my case I had decided to move to NYC 10 years before I managed to. Assuming you’re on a good wage I think the US has a much higher standard of living / lifestyle. We can be at the beach in 20 mins in the summer, skiing in 1h20 in winter and have a lake house 1h drive away, and can drive the kids to the Intrepid or a museum in the city in 1h at the weekends… CA might be a longer drive but has loads of things to do. I prefer the proper seasons here… really hot summers, proper winters with snow and nice fall
and spring vs the milder / wetter UK climate. But CA is different to here climate wise

Not sure I would put much stock in friends opinions unless they are in a position to do what you have on offer and have chosen not to… Before I moved here I lived in NZ, some other school friends emigrated there. When they visit us in CT they were amazed how much stuff there was for the kids to do and said they would never return to the UK, but would like it here… they also live on the coast there and are a 3-4h drive from skiing (on an active volcano).