Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Stay in LA or return to UK? Will appreciate thoughts

Stay in LA or return to UK? Will appreciate thoughts

Old Mar 22nd 2019, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stay in LA or return to UK? Will appreciate thoughts

Mrs. H. does this with fantastic results.

https://breadtopia.com/no-knead-bread/
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Britexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
My 2 cents here. Think long and hard before moving back without your husband. It is easy to say 'until 2021' but having had to live apart from my wife for over a year after we got married it was a living hell. I days consisted of working then coming home and spending the evening on skype with her and there was probably 2 times I came close to suggesting we part ways. Living apart is so much harder than people think.

As others have said, there are so many other places in the US to consider and the great thing is as it is so big, every state almost has its own culture. My wife is from Seattle and although she loved it, she didn't want to live her whole life there and neither did I. Through a job I ended up in the Midwest where the pace of life is very relaxed. I have the advantage of 2 major cities an hour north and south and one 2hrs to the east if I want them. She misses the mountains, and I miss the sea but other than that we love it here and intend to stay until we retire somewhere warmer in the winter.

Hope that helps.
Agree with this 100%, my husband was in the military and we were stationed in many places that we would not have chosen to go to as civilians. However no matter how much we disliked a place I would not have wanted to go live elsewhere without my husband.....the kids would miss out on dad and vice versa, and we would have missed out on each other on a daily basis. We had deployments apart for several months and it's so much harder and emotionally draining ( not too mention physically draining being the lone parent) than you can imagine.

I think it's a great idea to consider other options of places to live stateside before you make the final decision, good luck 👍
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

LOL! Almost a parody.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

julymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond reputejulymermaid has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for your responses ... lots of good advise and food for thought. I think I can't agree more with the fact that I am not too enthused about spending time away from hubby.
As such we have now made a decision to return but hubby will join in six months - he has in fact had a conversation about this today at work and is starting to work towards it.

And its not just about bread (I suppose that was just my way of pointing out a representation of the few of the things that annoy me about America) ... but I think culturally we feel like we'd rather raise our son in UK ... We have found an excellent school for him in Banstead , Surrey which will offer two hours of personalised learning and at the same time also provide a regular school environment (We're not too keen on home schooling or gifted schools and prefer a more 'normalised' environment as he's a single child and real world social interaction is important for us).

I have a feeling we will be back in USA in a few year's time - such is the nature of hubby's work .... but I'll likely opt for east coast then and not let the SoCal sunshine seduce us once again .... I can't thank you enough for taking the time to read and respond to this. Its been a confusing few weeks and this has really helped

xx