Reload this Page >

Which state would you move to??? Houston, Atlanta or South Carolina

Which state would you move to??? Houston, Atlanta or South Carolina

Old May 6th 2012, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

brianK88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which state would you move to??? Houston, Atlanta or South Carolina

Originally Posted by Moxie
I'd bet Spring, TX is cheaper than the other places. Try a cost of living calculator. http://www.bestplaces.net/col/

Here's a planned neighborhood in Spring. http://springtrails.com/index.asp It's 15-20 min to IAH airport because it's easy access to the Hardy toll road. Har.com can show listings if you enter spring trails into the search. Here's another Imperial Oaks http://www.imperialoaks.com/ The Woodlands would be a good choice too.

I'm loving living near Spring and The Woodlands. I moved here for various reasons and one was to get off the coast where hurricanes can cause a mandatory evacuation. 75 miles off the coast does not have the threat of the Gulf storm surge which is the real danger of a hurricane.

It's hot here but I think Atlanta is too.
I Agree with Moxie.
TX is cheaper than the other two places.
BUT

I'll rather go for none of the options.
Old May 6th 2012, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

brianK88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
"None of the above"
Old Sep 29th 2012, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

yogi16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are British folks welcome in Atlanta area?

Have been positively welcomed there as a visitor but would folks take well to an Englishman next door?

I know this varies a lot from place to place in the US.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 7:03 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Around 90 minutes from Atlanta, but I don't think that qualifies as 'In the area' being as a small town is not exactly like a major city
Old Sep 29th 2012, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Hillsforest. is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yogi16

Have been positively welcomed there as a visitor but would folks take well to an Englishman next door?

Thanks in advance.
I'm just about to move to the atl suburbs so il let you know!
Old Sep 29th 2012, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

So did the OP move to any of the above mentioned destinations?
Old Sep 30th 2012, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
So did the OP move to any of the above mentioned destinations?
Looks like none of the above and they are moving to Dallas. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...2#post10071082
Old Oct 1st 2012, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
That's correct, no individual state income tax in Texas, though of course you still have property & sales taxes to deal with.
Add in higher rates for insurances (car and homeowners/renter's) ..it's not a bargain to live here. I'd go for Charleston. Less traffic, better climate and more interesting place to experience the USA overall.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
Looks like none of the above and they are moving to Dallas. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...2#post10071082
Is Dallas a state and Houston no longer? Yet another reason to start an argument that Dallas is better than Houston.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yogi16

Thanks in advance.

I'm about 35 minutes north of Atlanta, and I love it....although I've now seen 41 of the states, I still like Georgia... apart from some of the nicer parts of California, that we couldn't afford anyway!
A lot of Atlanta is rundown and rough....but a lot of it is also very nice. I think you'll find every state has good and bad areas.
We live in a very quiet cul de sac in a very quiet suburb... with wonderful neighbours....couldn't hope for a better place to live!!

As for people's friendliness to the English accent, my experiences have all been very positive.
Had all the hundreds of "I love your accent" comments...I just reply that I love theirs....it gets repetitive, but not so much!
Husband and I (he's from the midwest) moved here because of the mild climate and reasonable property prices, have been here 6 years, and haven't regretted it a bit!!