Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which state would you move to??? Houston, Atlanta or South Carolina

Which state would you move to??? Houston, Atlanta or South Carolina

Old May 2nd 2012, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which state would you move to??? Houston, Atlanta or South Carolina

"None of the above"
Old May 2nd 2012, 1:14 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Check out www.har.com for rental options. As Weeze said, renting in Houston is stupidly expensive - the landlord is also covering the local property tax in that, which can be up to 3% of the value of the house annually. Rule of thumb for renting in/around Houston seems to be 1% of the sale price per month. $1200/month = $120,000 dollar house.
Old May 2nd 2012, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute

I'd bet Spring, TX is cheaper than the other places. Try a cost of living calculator. http://www.bestplaces.net/col/

Here's a planned neighborhood in Spring. http://springtrails.com/index.asp It's 15-20 min to IAH airport because it's easy access to the Hardy toll road. Har.com can show listings if you enter spring trails into the search. Here's another Imperial Oaks http://www.imperialoaks.com/ The Woodlands would be a good choice too.

I'm loving living near Spring and The Woodlands. I moved here for various reasons and one was to get off the coast where hurricanes can cause a mandatory evacuation. 75 miles off the coast does not have the threat of the Gulf storm surge which is the real danger of a hurricane.

It's hot here but I think Atlanta is too.

Last edited by Moxie; May 2nd 2012 at 6:03 pm.
Old May 3rd 2012, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

CurlyWurly is an unknown quantity at this point

I live 45 miles NE of Atlanta ... came up from southern Florida and it was a big change. Atlanta is bustling all the time ... I only go there for certain stores or events as traffic is a nightmare, and its not usually at the top of my list to want to do. As of Crime, well its everywhere in the world. Schools, private ones are always better, just will burn a hole in your pocket.

However, living on the outskirts, I love it. Everyone is so much more friendlier than some of the Floridians (or illegals) I have encountered ... you get waved at instead of getting a finger, you get that real southern hospitality from a good 75% of the residents, the others, well they just probably had to sit in traffic on I75 so they are grouchy. It warms up around April to May and starts cooling off around October to November area. Yes we get snow sometimes in Winter, and its like the world is ending when we do. The only thing I miss is the beach being 10 minutes away. Do some shopping on the houses, for $1200 you should be able to get a nice house in the subs.
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:44 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say Atlanta. I couldn't hack living in Houston myself. Texas does have the advantage of no State income taxes though.
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

SC, it's the only state listed of the three?
Old May 3rd 2012, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

gryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
SC, it's the only state listed of the three?
Thanks genius.... but a do label the 3 states in the first message!

A big thankyou to those that were very helpful, especially with some the links, they have been great

however judging by some the crappy private messages etc etc I think the person that wrote the post about crabby board members was spot on. Such a shame is it seemed a great site.
Old May 3rd 2012, 8:30 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryff31

however judging by some the crappy private messages etc etc I think the person that wrote the post about crabby board members was spot on. Such a shame is it seemed a great site.
Any rude pm should be reported to mods.
Good luck whichever you choose.
Old May 4th 2012, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

JessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant future

Well, I've been to SC and to Hotlanta (the ATL- ) and I would say if it were my choice Houston!

Why? SC is cool. Great climate, nice atmosphere but I just associate it with spring break. ATL is cool too, but to me, it reminds me of a city that experienced rapid growth when they hosted the Olympics and plummeted afterwards.

When I think Houston I also think of Austin. My sister visits Austin often and always raves about it. I guess when I think of anything Texas I think of Austin whic is a city that is up and coming.

I'm a Yank (NY'er) and therefore would never picture myself moving south of the Mason Dixon (yup I'm that person) but if I were to, Texas would be my first choice.

Good luck with your move.
Old May 5th 2012, 1:23 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JessicaKate
I guess when I think of anything Texas I think of Austin whic is a city that is up and coming.

Only problem with that is that Austin is probably the least Texan town I've been to!.

I agree with your sister though - its a great city! We've got in-laws up there and visit quite regularly - love it.
Old May 5th 2012, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

JessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Only problem with that is that Austin is probably the least Texan town I've been to!.

I agree with your sister though - its a great city! We've got in-laws up there and visit quite regularly - love it.
Maybe it'll rub off though?

Even still, I would vote Texas over Georgia and SC.
Old May 5th 2012, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Myrtle Beach is probably a Spring Break destination but not Charleston/Summerville/Mount Pleasant which is area OP mentioned.
Old May 5th 2012, 2:23 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's going to be difficult to find a good school area with a $1,300/month budget for accommodation. Good schools come at a premium when it comes to house prices and rental costs.
Old May 5th 2012, 3:19 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JessicaKate
Even still, I would vote Texas over Georgia and SC.
I kinda like Texas, as long as you can keep exposure to the inbred nutters to a minimum.....

Only been to Atlanta for 3 days about 10 years ago, so can't really comment. Never been to SC , but hoping to rectify that this summer with a road trip from here along the gulf coast then up the east coast to Washingon.
Old May 5th 2012, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Bink
I think it's going to be difficult to find a good school area with a $1,300/month budget for accommodation. Good schools come at a premium when it comes to house prices and rental costs.
Yeah, there are a few in the better areas of KISD, but very thin on the ground.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.