Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which state would you move to??? Houston, Atlanta or South Carolina

Which state would you move to??? Houston, Atlanta or South Carolina

Old Apr 30th 2012, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

gryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nice
Default Which state would you move to??? Houston, Atlanta or South Carolina

Hello all.. So after 365 out of the country cos our visa expired were finally coming back to the USA!!

Previously we were in Charlotte NC.. However the company has told to choose a state, Choices being Near Houston Texas, Near Duluth Atlanta, or Charleston area SC. (my husband works at home most of time or is travelling so commute doesn't bother us however good elementary school for our boys is a must.)

Oooo decisions decisions.. we no nothing about Houston or Atlanta (we know at little about Charleston)

This a really sucky decision to make.. especially when we do get chance to come over and check out the places.

Anyone out there with pros and cons about TX and GA would be great.

would love to make a sensible decision this time about our move instead of flicking a coin.

Ty

Last edited by gryff31; Apr 30th 2012 at 9:28 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:04 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which state would you move to??? Houston, Atlanta or South Carolina

Are kids and schools an issue?
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Only one of those is a State.

Trick question?
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:25 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Near Houston is a bit vague to be able to give much of an opinion. Texas itself is huge and surrounding Houston (like surrounding anywhere else, you have good bits and not so good bits). Do you have any more details about where near Houston?
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:33 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Are kids and schools an issue?
As someone who knows a bit about Houston schools, I'd say the answer to this question is key. . . .
Old May 1st 2012, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

gryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nice

We just got a few more details on the Houston side.. the office is based Spring hill Drive..Looking on google maps it seems to be between Spring and The Woodlands, Commute not important but good safe neighbourhood to rent 3/4br house and good schools a must.

Anyone know about the following area? Also Conroe? what is that like?
Old May 1st 2012, 9:07 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know, possibly the state of Atlanta, I have a sister there. I could possibly join you in the state of disarray, of confusion.
Old May 1st 2012, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Okay... Few more details, just re-read my starting message and think I should have wrote it when less tired and stressed.

My husbands job, is mainly working from home, or travelling (other parts of USA or abroad), but occasionally will need to go the office.
Good Elementary school/ Middle Schools wanted( Boys are 7 & 4) (its the most important on our list as we have been living in Germany for the last year and have attended state German school... resulting in my oldest being very much behind, I think he is due to go to Class 2, but hopefully the school we choose will allow us to put him in Class one to give him time to catch up.

Nice, safe neighbourhood, 3br/4br house wanted.. would not like to pay more than 1300 per month... hopefully less as I am hoping to start at technical college and complete my degree.

Job options

1 - Charleston SC, Was looking at Summerville, Mt Pleasant.

2 - Office is based nr Duluth, Ga, was looking the area at Suwanee, Duluth, Alpharetta.

3- Houston. Office is based between Springs and The Woodlands, so would like to live out that way, my husband was told is no state Tax there? is this true, (The Woodlands, Conroe) house prices seem more expensive.

I know it not much information, it all we have, and its so hard to try and make a decision from google map, and dated school reviews on the internet.
Old May 1st 2012, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

texasjan is an unknown quantity at this point

I know someone who chose to live in spring because of the schools and cost of housing.
I think the woodlands is more expensive, although I beleive it is a nice place to live.
Old May 1st 2012, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

Originally Posted by gryff31
Okay... Few more details, just re-read my starting message and think I should have wrote it when less tired and stressed.

My husbands job, is mainly working from home, or travelling (other parts of USA or abroad), but occasionally will need to go the office.
Good Elementary school/ Middle Schools wanted( Boys are 7 & 4) (its the most important on our list as we have been living in Germany for the last year and have attended state German school... resulting in my oldest being very much behind, I think he is due to go to Class 2, but hopefully the school we choose will allow us to put him in Class one to give him time to catch up.

Nice, safe neighbourhood, 3br/4br house wanted.. would not like to pay more than 1300 per month... hopefully less as I am hoping to start at technical college and complete my degree.

Job options

2 - Office is based nr Duluth, Ga, was looking the area at Suwanee, Duluth, Alpharetta.

3- Houston. Office is based between Springs and The Woodlands, so would like to live out that way, my husband was told is no state Tax there? is this true, (The Woodlands, Conroe) house prices seem more expensive.

I know it not much information, it all we have, and its so hard to try and make a decision from google map, and dated school reviews on the internet.
If commute is not an issue try Norcross GA, I know they have an ex-pat community and for a small town they have a UK Goods store and an English style pub. My friend lives out there and the times I have spent there have seemed fantastic and I hear the schools are good.
Old May 1st 2012, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Job options

The commute from Summerville to Charleston would be a nightmare. We were also thinking about moving there when we moved to SC from Indiana and decided to go to Mount Pleasant in the end. (My OH works on Daniel Island). We have only been in SC since end of February. My kids are 7 and 8 1/2. The school district we left in Indiana was amazing and the one here does not have the same amount of money but it is a good school. It is becoming a Charter School from August 2012. Have you looked at: http://www.greatschools.org/ or http://www.city-data.com/ or http://www.realtor.com/homesforrent/...C/beds-3#/pg-1 (last one to give an idea of house rental cost in Mt Pleasant)
Old May 1st 2012, 1:24 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

3- Houston. Office is based between Springs and The Woodlands, so would like to live out that way, my husband was told is no state Tax there?
That's correct, no individual state income tax in Texas, though of course you still have property & sales taxes to deal with.
Old May 1st 2012, 1:40 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

The woodlands is a nice master planned community with good schools;
http://www.thewoodlands.com/

It has a big expat community and plenty of facilities.
I like Houston, but it depends what you are looking for. You must already know its hot and humid. Summer lasted pretty much May to October last year and we got plenty of days over 100'. Saying that though, it's set up for the heat. There's good shopping, zoo, plenty of museums and art galleries, theatres. NASA is nearby and the beaches at galveston. Oh, and we get Hurricane season.

Oh, and renting is ridiculously expensive because of the oil industry.
Old May 1st 2012, 9:27 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Houston - tornadoes
Charleston - hurricanes
Atlanta - crime

Old May 1st 2012, 11:39 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
Houston - tornadoes
Charleston - hurricanes
Atlanta - crime

Er no. Texas is big.

Houston - hurricanes
North Texas -tornadoes

Been there for both.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.