British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   State Farm disowned me - car rental insurance? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/state-farm-disowned-me-car-rental-insurance-710203/)

Bladerunner Mar 21st 2011 1:45 pm

State Farm disowned me - car rental insurance?

I just booked 8 day's car rental with Alamo. I then called my insurance company, State Farm, to ask for cover. I was told that as I sold my vehicle and let the insurance lapse last year I would be treated as a new customer, and they could not offer me a quote despite being in my 40's with a clean driving record.

So does anyone know a cheap place to get basic insurance for a week? Alamo were quoting something like $24.99 per day

I only have a US issued debit card, and a European credit card, both visa, so I presume I am not already covered.

I have run a search, but can't find the answer to this particular question so any help would be appreciated, thanks.

AmerLisa Mar 21st 2011 2:36 pm

Re: State Farm disowned me - car rental insurance?

Originally Posted by Bladerunner (Post 9254224)
I just booked 8 day's car rental with Alamo. I then called my insurance company, State Farm, to ask for cover. I was told that as I sold my vehicle and let the insurance lapse last year I would be treated as a new customer, and they could not offer me a quote despite being in my 40's with a clean driving record.

So does anyone know a cheap place to get basic insurance for a week? Alamo were quoting something like $24.99 per day

I only have a US issued debit card, and a European credit card, both visa, so I presume I am not already covered.

I have run a search, but can't find the answer to this particular question so any help would be appreciated, thanks.

If I'm not mistaken you're usually given a quote based on the car you drive, not just you as the individual. I'm not sure there are any car insurance companies that will give you a quote as an individual. Have you googled?

Also, at $24.99 a day, it still may work out cheaper than a start up and first month of separate auto insurance?

Jerseygirl Mar 21st 2011 3:18 pm

Get an American Express card...for around $25 per rental they will insure the rental car for just about every eventuality. There's been a couple of threads about it over the last couple of years.

CelticRover Mar 21st 2011 3:29 pm

https://www212.americanexpress.com/d...aq&type=intfaq

The OP might want to verify that the AMEX coverage is more than merely secondary insurance.

cranston Mar 21st 2011 4:11 pm

and also here

for the Amex premium service

meauxna Mar 21st 2011 4:29 pm

Are you otherwise a customer of theirs? (homeowner etc)
Would you consider calling them back and make sure you get through to the agent, not the front office?

I find it ridiculous the amount some of these companies spend to get new customers (with all the phony discounts) and they wont' take care of someone they already have a relationship with.
I've never had a reason to switch from SF and have always been pleased with the service. I just wondered if you'd get a better result if you went a little further up the food chain.

Jerseygirl Mar 21st 2011 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by cranston (Post 9254505)
and also here

for the Amex premium service

That's the one I was referring to...approx $25.

AmerLisa Mar 21st 2011 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9254551)
Are you otherwise a customer of theirs? (homeowner etc)
Would you consider calling them back and make sure you get through to the agent, not the front office?

I find it ridiculous the amount some of these companies spend to get new customers (with all the phony discounts) and they wont' take care of someone they already have a relationship with.
I've never had a reason to switch from SF and have always been pleased with the service. I just wondered if you'd get a better result if you went a little further up the food chain.

We too have had a good experience (for the most part) with SF.

Manc Mar 21st 2011 10:06 pm

yeah, that's how it is.

they can only offer you a quote now for a new car you've bought or if you can prove you've had car insurance elsewhere for the past 6 months......

it's not really their law, more the law of the insurance commish for your state.

Brit3964 Mar 22nd 2011 2:37 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9254551)
I've never had a reason to switch from SF and have always been pleased with the service.

Second that. Been with them since 2001 and periodically check with other insurance co's but each time SF comes up the cheapest and best policy.

Bladerunner Mar 22nd 2011 2:21 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I pick up the car on Thursday so it's too late to apply for an Amex card. I was really looking for a website that might offer cheap temporary cover, and I haven't been able to find much so far. I'll probably bite the bullet and pay Alamo's insurance, which is much more than the cost of the hire car :-(

S Folinsky Mar 22nd 2011 2:57 pm

Do note that the you are not buy "insurance" with the "collision damage waiver" the rental company charges you for. Its just that the rental people will not ask for more money if the car is damaged.

You may want to check with your credit card carrier -- a few years back I found out that the US Bank card we had at the time included coverage on rental cars.

BTW, no one has mentioned liability coverage. Inasmuch as the owner of the car [e.g. the company] is also liable for an accident which is your fault, the other party will be able to recover. I have no idea what rights to subrogation that the company or perhaps the other driver will have.