British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   State Drivers License (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/state-drivers-license-920102/)

nickjs247 Dec 11th 2018 1:14 pm

State Drivers License

So my American wife tells me that when we move to Oregon in February 2019 in order to get a State License I will have to surrender my UK Drivers License - is this true? I get that you have to surrender your previous State's license but why would they want my UK one? I just got a new one valid until 2028!!

What is everyone's experience? I know all states are different..:confused:

chawkins99 Dec 11th 2018 1:30 pm

Re: State Drivers License

Originally Posted by nickjs247 (Post 12607307)
So my American wife tells me that when we move to Oregon in February 2019 in order to get a State License I will have to surrender my UK Drivers License - is this true? I get that you have to surrender your previous State's license but why would they want my UK one? I just got a new one valid until 2028!!

It appears she is correct. BTW: your UK license is no longer valid if you are no longer resident despite what the expiry date may be.

Oregon Driver & Motor Vehicle Services

You must turn in any driver license or permit from another state or country if you have one.

Rete Dec 11th 2018 1:49 pm

Several people have just gone ahead and taken all the State requirements for a State license and never disclosed that they had a UK license. It is unusual to find a state where a UK license can be exchanged for a state license without having to do the written and then driving test.

Check the department of motor vehicles website for Oregon to find out what you need to do.

MidAtlantic Dec 11th 2018 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by chawkins99 (Post 12607323)
It appears she is correct. BTW: your UK license is no longer valid if you are no longer resident despite what the expiry date may be.

Oregon Driver & Motor Vehicle Services

Not correct. The state has absolutely no right or need to take your UK license.

tom169 Dec 11th 2018 1:54 pm

NC didn't.

nickjs247 Dec 11th 2018 2:01 pm

Well if they ask for it my UK License will have just expired or been lost when I apply...

Thanks for the replies everyone :thumbup:

chawkins99 Dec 11th 2018 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 12607337)

Just posting what is stated on their official web site. There's no way they can prove you even have one so a moot point anyway.

Jack8602 Dec 11th 2018 2:32 pm

When i took my test, the DMV examiner asked to see my UK one out of curiosity - looked at how young i was in the photo compared to now, laughed and said 'it's pink, how strange' then handed it back.

Rete Dec 11th 2018 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 12607337)

Not exactly correct either. If you were to lose your state driver's license due to traffic infractions, drunk driving, impaired driving, you would then still have a valid driver's license even though it is from the UK. Therefore, the state does have a right to ask for your UK license to be surrendered to them as a safeguard against the above scenario.

rpjs Dec 11th 2018 4:12 pm

A lot of UK people are reluctant to surrender their British driving licences because getting one in the first place is a lot more difficult than it is in most, if not all US states. However, it's worth noting that just because you've had to give up your plastic DVLA card that doesn't mean that your entitlement to a UK licence has gone away (other than you have to be a UK resident). If the worst came to the worst and OP does have to give up their UK licence to the Oregon DMV, and they later decide to return to the UK to live, all they need to do is apply to the DVLA for a replacement.

zzrmark Dec 11th 2018 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 12607432)
A lot of UK people are reluctant to surrender their British driving licences because getting one in the first place is a lot more difficult than it is in most, if not all US states. However, it's worth noting that just because you've had to give up your plastic DVLA card that doesn't mean that your entitlement to a UK licence has gone away (other than you have to be a UK resident). If the worst came to the worst and OP does have to give up their UK licence to the Oregon DMV, and they later decide to return to the UK to live, all they need to do is apply to the DVLA for a replacement.

Many years of dealing with DVLA taught me that they are one govt dept where it pays to keep hard evidence (as well as your licence) in the event that they mislay some or all of your records because once it's fallen out of their system proving your entitlement is a tad tricky if there is no record!
I printed out my driving record from the DVLA site before I left the UK (although it can be done at any time) for two reasons.
Firstly, as a motorcyclist with various friends who have had their entitlement disappear upon licence renewal, I wanted something in hard print to cover all bases should the need ever arise, same for the LGV class 1 which lapsed at 45 but theoretically only needs a medical to renew it.
Secondly, although I never used it, I had intended to present it as evidence of previous lack of motoring prosecutions when first insuring a vehicle in the US in the hope that it would lower the premiums.

Mr Weeze Dec 11th 2018 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12607377)
Not exactly correct either. If you were to lose your state driver's license due to traffic infractions, drunk driving, impaired driving, you would then still have a valid driver's license even though it is from the UK. Therefore, the state does have a right to ask for your UK license to be surrendered to them as a safeguard against the above scenario.

It’s actually not valid - it stops being valid as soon as you stop living in the UK. It might well pass a cursory inspection with a cop at the roadside, but if someone started digging you would be getting into more trouble.

lansbury Dec 12th 2018 12:05 am

Originally Posted by nickjs247 (Post 12607307)

I live in Oregon and I never had to surrender my UK license when I took the Oregon test.

lansbury Dec 12th 2018 12:11 am

Originally Posted by nickjs247 (Post 12607346)
Well if they ask for it my UK License will have just expired or been lost when I apply...

Thanks for the replies everyone :thumbup:

So when you go to the Oregon DMV to take your test, what are you going to show them as proof you licensed to drive in Oregon. The examiner asked me to prove I had a license and was insured to drive the car.

cluedweasel Dec 15th 2018 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12607596)

I live in Oregon and I never had to surrender my UK license when I took the Oregon test.

Just to back this up, same here. I didn't have to hand over my UK license when I got my Oregon one.