Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Starting a New School...

Starting a New School...

Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:31 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting a New School...

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
No I dont. A kid of 14 needs stability and to understand that home is where mum and dad, where there is security etc...not some place 3000 miles away where theres a spotty boyfriend with a playstation and a hard on.
Exploring where you are is not an activity that promotes instability. It promotes and education that she can't get out of a travel book and on TV back home. She'll feel more like a local if she knows what everyone is talking about. She'll be able to hold a conversation about anything while there. I know enough of this being a military brat to know what works when living in a new place. I've had more than 11 addresses to my name and I'm still counting. She'll feel at home alright but it's more than sitting at home and doing nothing.

You're getting a bit too gentle with that chain there.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:43 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Exploring where you are is not an activity that promotes instability.
I never said she shouldn't become familiar with her surroundings..infact you said it was a possibility NOT me.

She'll feel more like a local if she knows what everyone is talking about.
She feel more like a local if she acts like a tourist? Thats some logic you've got there.

I know enough of this being a military brat to know what works when living in a new place. I've had more than 11 addresses to my name and I'm still counting.
And I'm on my 16th address and am a little older and more experienced at moving to different places...if you want to go down the qualification route.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:43 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

You're getting a bit too gentle with that chain there.
This is a typical quip of yours that is so obscure as to make no sense to me.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:49 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

I never said she shouldn't become familiar with her surroundings..infact you said it was a possibility NOT me.

She feel more like a local if she acts like a tourist? Thats some logic you've got there.

And I'm on my 16th address and am a little older and more experienced at moving to different places...if you want to go down the qualification route.
I'll remove the first argument from the table. Debating that seems moot.

Regarding the second one. Do you suppose I have her wearing a camera around her neck and holding a travel guide in her hand. Nope. I think we are debating a definition of 'tourist' that we've yet to agree upon. Until we agree on what a 'tourist' is then this exercise is pointless.

Thirdly, I'm only 31 and given the fact we have 10 years between us I have a fair chance of matching you at your age. Let me ad I've got 4 timezones, 6 states, and 2 continents under mine. Who knows when my nomadic tendencies will fade an relent to me residing in one spot for the rest of my life.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:50 am
Riding on silver wings

This is a typical quip of yours that is so obscure as to make no sense to me.
It will later in the morning.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:00 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know where in Texas the original poster will live, so it's hard to say what options are open to her.

The big city school districts have some high schools that offer the International Baccalaureate program. This would be the best route to take if one wanted to go to university in the UK, for example.

My own 15 year old's high school isn't cliquey, but the neighbourhood high school is (shiver)....

If you would like bunnii, you or your parents could send me a private message with the city you'll be living in, and I could give you some information on that district. My overall suggestion would be to join a large group activity -- like band or choir if you enjoy music -- because that gives you a built in "family" like no other.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:08 am
Account Closed

I'll remove the first argument from the table. Debating that seems moot. NO shit!!!

Regarding the second one. Do you suppose I have her wearing a camera around her neck and holding a travel guide in her hand. Nope. I think we are debating a definition of 'tourist' that we've yet to agree upon. Until we agree on what a 'tourist' is then this exercise is pointless.
Of course I didn't and you know I didn't. You used the word "tourist" not me so don't try to wriggle out of it by coming up with some bullshit description of a tourist. That is someone staying (predominantly visiting) in a place for a given length of time but that is NOT "home". Can you imagine this girls parents wanting their daughter to settle and blend in as quickly and easily as possible to her new "HOME" and some daft tart on an internet forum is telling her to pretend she's a "tourist" I.E doesn't actually belong there. What sort of ****ed up advice is that? you are advocating her NOT feeling at home there and now trying to justify having said such rubbish.

Thirdly, I'm only 31 and given the fact we have 10 years between us I have a fair chance of matching you at your age. Let me ad I've got 4 timezones, 6 states, and 2 continents under mine. Who knows when my nomadic tendencies will fade an relent to me residing in one spot for the rest of my life.
Forget how many more times you might move in the next 10 years..thats got absolutely no bearing on advice you are giving this evening...unless you have a crystal ball? I have 2 but they're not crystal... just meat and grissle.

So blowing away the smoke screen about time zones thats just 2 countries then..Germany and the USA. Well as you insist on pursuing the avenue of experience. I've lived in 3 and also on 2 different continents.. The UK , Holland and the US. However, I'm also the parent of a child taken from school in the UK and transplanted into a school in the US. The reason I am giving this advice to the girl and disagreeing with your nonsense about pretending to be a tourist is that I did just that with my son, I allowed him to still believe the UK was home and not the US. He never felt the US was home and never settled there 100%, he is now happy to be back in the UK...and I have to hold my hand up to being somewhat responsible for not making him realise the US was "HOME". I was warned at the time by Mrs. R that I was doing it all wrong with regard to him and as it turns out she was dead right and I was wrong. So, in essence if you want to dig each other out as to who has the greater experience of this situation then you fall light years behind mine, I learned this one the hard way and don't want the same thing to happen to an obviously quite intelligent 14 year old girl.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:21 am
Riding on silver wings

Of course I didn't and you know I didn't. You used the word "tourist" not me so don't try to wriggle out of it by coming up with some bullshit description of a tourist. That is someone staying (predominantly visiting) in a place for a given length of time but that is NOT "home". Can you imagine this girls parents wanting their daughter to settle and blend in as quickly and easily as possible to her new "HOME" and some daft tart on an internet forum is telling her to pretend she's a "tourist" I.E doesn't actually belong there. What sort of ****ed up advice is that? you are advocating her NOT feeling at home there and now trying to justify having said such rubbish.

Forget how many more times you might move in the next 10 years..thats got absolutely no bearing on advice you are giving this evening...unless you have a crystal ball? I have 2 but they're not crystal... just meat and grissle.

So blowing away the smoke screen about time zones thats just 2 countries then..Germany and the USA. Well as you insist on pursuing the avenue of experience. I've lived in 3 and also on 2 different continents.. The UK , Holland and the US. However, I'm also the parent of a child taken from school in the UK and transplanted into a school in the US. The reason I am giving this advice to the girl and disagreeing with your nonsense about pretending to be a tourist is that I did just that with my son, I allowed him to still believe the UK was home and not the US. He never felt the US was home and never settled there 100%, he is now happy to be back in the UK...and I have to hold my hand up to being somewhat responsible for not making him realise the US was "HOME". I was warned at the time by Mrs. R that I was doing it all wrong with regard to him and as it turns out she was dead right and I was wrong. So, in essence if you want to dig each other out as to who has the greater experience of this situation then you fall light years behind mine, I learned this one the hard way and don't want the same thing to happen to an obviously quite intelligent 14 year old girl.
Now I see where you're coming from. I said 'Like' a tourist. Not be one. I want her to get out and about and see things a immerse herself. But I also want her to do it so things will feel familiar and not so foreign. Touring the area will be beneficial and not detrimental. I'm not in the mind of telling her that she shouldn't make it home. That would be crazy because it will be her home for how long she lives there. I just want her to take advantage of being in the location and seeing what it has to offer. I think you know that. I'm not going to comment on your circumstance.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:29 am
Account Closed

Now I see where you're coming from. I said 'Like' a tourist. Not be one. I want her to get out and about and see things a immerse herself. But I also want her to do it so things will feel familiar and not so foreign. Touring the area will be beneficial and not detrimental. I'm not in the mind of telling her that she shouldn't make it home. That would be crazy because it will be her home for how long she lives there. I just want her to take advantage of being in the location and seeing what it has to offer. I think you know that. I'm not going to comment on your circumstance.
You should be a politician..thats the biggest load of back peddling face saving crap I think I've ever seen on here. You said she should act like a "tourist" and theres no getting away from it. Now you are claiming you meant she should "immerse herself"...what kid doesn't immerse themself in their surroundings? They're out with their mates all day in the summer "immersing themselves" ( ) because they don't want to be stuck at home with the "olds".

Also, why say "Touring the area will be beneficial and not detrimental" like I have said anything different..thats just a stealth way of trying to make me look wrong in some point of this argument by implying I said something that I didn'y actually say...only it didn't work did it? Because I just pointed out yet again that I never said anything different and don't disagree with that. Nice try.

I must remember to tell my son he has to be home from "Immersing himself" at 10 O'clock tomorrow night.

"'Ello boy..where've you been today?"
"I've been Immersing myself dad"
"Good lad..nothing like a bit of immersing is there son"
"No dad"

FFS

Last edited by Optimus Prime; Apr 25th 2008 at 2:32 am.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:41 am
Riding on silver wings

You should be a politician..thats the biggest load of back peddling face saving crap I think I've ever seen on here. You said she should act like a "tourist" and theres no getting away from it. Now you are claiming you meant she should "immerse herself"...what kid doesn't immerse themself in their surroundings? They're out with their mates all day in the summer "immersing themselves" ( ) because they don't want to be stuck at home with the "olds".

Some don't. Some don't have enough friends to hang out with. Some have to take it upon themselves to make the best of their circumstances. Some seem to settle in places that are difficult to crack. I'm talking about myself here. Yeah woe be me, where's the f***ing violin music....yada yada yada.

Also, why say "Touring the area will be beneficial and not detrimental" like I have said anything different..thats just a stealth way of trying to make me look wrong in some point of this argument by implying I said something that I didn'y actually say...only it didn't work did it? Because I just pointed out yet again that I never said anything different and don't disagree with that. Nice try.

I'm trying to contradict you of course. It's in me to. I'm just as stubborn and a hard ass as you and turning you to the dark side is my favorite past time.

I must remember to tell my son he has to be home from "Immersing himself" at 10 O'clock tomorrow night.

"'Ello boy..where've you been today?"
"I've been Immersing myself dad"
"Good lad..nothing like a bit of immersing is there son"
"No dad"

FFS

Oh that conversation is too easy for me to mock.
Are you sure what I've said isn't the biggest load of bollocks you've read on here before? I can pull up a lot of examples. Don't make me do it.

You know I'm still amazed you're reading my boring drivel. I thought it was beneath you.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:49 am
Account Closed

Are you sure what I've said isn't the biggest load of bollocks you've read on here before? I can pull up a lot of examples. Don't make me do it.

I'm just as stubborn and a hard ass as you and turning you to the dark side is my favorite past time. Trust me..you're not even in the same league.

You know I'm still amazed you're reading my boring drivel. I thought it was beneath you.
And now the "oh shit ..he's rumbled that my argument is completely full of holes and I'm taking out of one of mine so I'll try to divert his attention to something he's bound to bite on" stage . Far from being as stubborn and hard ass..this is amateur night.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:53 am
Riding on silver wings

And now the "oh shit ..he's rumbled that my argument is completely full of holes and I'm taking out of one of mine so I'll try to divert his attention to something he's bound to bite on" stage . Far from being as stubborn and hard ass..this is amateur night.
Nope, this is me realizing that you could have said something quite revealing about my past yet you didn't exploit it.....yet. I'm sure you've filed it away for use elsewhere but I'm a bit taken back, really.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:55 am
Account Closed

Nope, this is me realizing that you could have said something quite revealing about my past yet you didn't exploit it.....yet. I'm sure you've filed it away for use elsewhere but I'm a bit taken back, really.
I dont play fighting over private life issues unless I'm faced with them myself. then its open season.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:57 am
Riding on silver wings

I dont play fighting over private life issues unless I'm faced with them myself. then its open season.
You've rendered me speechless. Well done.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 3:00 am
Account Closed

You've rendered me speechless. Well done.
Thank **** for that!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.