Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Starting new job - Cond. Green Card expired

Starting new job - Cond. Green Card expired

Old Apr 26th 2017, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

glowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond repute
Question Starting new job - Cond. Green Card expired

Hello all!

Long story short: I'll be laid off at the end of the week, but have a job offer on the table since yesterday (YAY).

Anyways, my Conditional Green Card (through marriage) expired 4/15/17. The removal of conditions petition was already sent out 1/20/17 and biometrics are done and over with (End of Feb.). Looking at the timelines, it will still take them around 18 months (if not more who knows) to get the new one to me.

Now to my actual question: Because of my resume, my new employer asked if I need sponsorship, which I told them I do not. When filling out the I-9, is showing of driver's license and SSN w/o restrictions enough? Or can they demand to see the Green Card (which is expired, as said, but I do have the extension letter)? In case they demand it, would the extension letter be enough for legal purposes or do I need to get an infopass to get a stamp in my passport?

I searched the forum, but couldn't find anything related, sorry if this was asked before.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old Apr 26th 2017, 2:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting new job - Cond. Green Card expired

Yes, DL and SSC with no legend is all you need.

No need for Infopass.

Rene
Old Apr 26th 2017, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glowie
When filling out the I-9, is showing of driver's license and SSN w/o restrictions enough?
Yes.

Or can they demand to see the Green Card...
They can't, no. It is illegal for an employer to request specific forms of identification if you have documents that meet the I-9 requirements.

Ian
Old Apr 26th 2017, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

glowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond repute

Noorah, Ian,

Thanks so much for the help! I was thinking I read before that they are legally not allowed to ask for specific documents, but wanted to make sure.

Thanks again!