Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Starting credit history in the US in 2017

Starting credit history in the US in 2017

Old Oct 27th 2017, 9:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting credit history in the US in 2017

Originally Posted by KingwoodBrit
Haha, you're stretching devils advocacy to new levels! BoA have my UK postal address proof and my UK ID proof, not to mention the traditional Brit accent.
[Sigh] But without an SSN, or $1,000,000 in the bank, you aren't of much interest to a US bank.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

KingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond repute

If I can get a non-extortionate loan rate from them when I try to buy a homestead (once I have PRS and an SSN) I'll be happy.

From the the advice here, mainly from you Pulaski, I shouldn't hold my breath.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

Chesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have an SSN due to my visa status. I have a non-interest bearing a/c with BOA, opened using my UK passport and driving licence which is all perfectly fine. (Probably as a hangover from the way we conducted our affairs in the UK, I wanted my own bank account with the proceeds of my car sale in U.K., some savings etc.) Anyway, in the branch they promised me all sorts and especially that I could get a secured CC. The relationship manager completed an application for me. Members on here were v surprised and, rightly so as it turns out. The application was turned down several days later, essentially because no SSN. Either the branch was misguided or were driven by targets or some such.

Anyway; long story short. OP, I don't think you can get ahead and get the CC before the SSN unfortunately.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pulaski.

What is not so clear is would the credit history that is being recorded by BoA, AMEX etc. be applied retrospectively and picked up by the credit agencies like Experian. Won't be able to confirm or deny this until I have an SSN.
Let me clear this up for you now.

BoA and AMEX are not recording your credit history. So there is nothing to apply retrospectively.

Until you have a SSN there is no record of your credit.

When you receive your SSN your credit history will begin from scratch, nothing you have done before will have any impact on it.

When AMEX port you over to the US all they are doing is offering US credit based on your U.K. credit history, which they’re prepared to do because they are a company in both markets. This has nothing to do with improving your US credit history.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

KingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond reputeKingwoodBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chesten

Anyway; long story short. OP, I don't think you can get ahead and get the CC before the SSN unfortunately.
Thanks for the background, Chesten. And I think you mean credit history, not CC (creditcard) before the SSN.

Originally Posted by GeneralPowerpoint
Let me clear this up for you now.

BoA and AMEX are not recording your credit history. So there is nothing to apply retrospectively.

Until you have a SSN there is no record of your credit.

When you receive your SSN your credit history will begin from scratch, nothing you have done before will have any impact on it.

When AMEX port you over to the US all they are doing is offering US credit based on your U.K. credit history, which they’re prepared to do because they are a company in both markets. This has nothing to do with improving your US credit history.
Picking up an aggressive tone from you, no idea why.

There is clearly some inconsistency with some people without SSN's receiving secured (credit building) creditcards, and some not. Why? These banks are incompetent? They're mis-selling?

One of the key bits a info I was missing when applying for and receiving a CC from BoA was no SSN and you have no credit history, and it's not applied after the fact. The sales person at BoA was a friend of the family, so will follow up on why the confusion. Funnily enough they are also from the UK and moved over and started with a secured CC, when building their credit. I made it clear when applying this was to start building my credit history in the US and they explained that this type of CC will help me, as a UK citizen with the intention of moving to the US and being able to work some time in the future, to achieve that. The fact (according to posters on here) that it is nothing of the sort, and I'm paying $29 for the privilege, would suggest it was mis-sold.

Last edited by KingwoodBrit; Oct 29th 2017 at 11:03 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Chesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the background, Chesten. And I think you mean credit history, not CC (creditcard) before the SSN.
Being completely truthful, I did mean CC because I didn't realise you actually had succeeded in physically getting one mailed to you and had it in hand. I thought you wouldn't get that far, based on my experience of being told one thing in branch, which was later rejected by the underwriters (or whoever reviews and approves/ declines).

I presume it 100% is a CC and not a debit card? Perhaps you have substantial savings or something that made a difference to your application.

The credit history part I have also had to learn via the forum, that a SSN is required to record the history against and it won't be retrospective.

Anyway, best of luck with your endeavours and it's great you are planning ahead and being as proactive as you can be.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 12:32 am
Just Joined

I presume it 100% is a CC and not a debit card? Perhaps you have substantial savings or something that made a difference to your application.

The credit history part I have also had to learn via the forum, that a SSN is required to record the history against and it won't be retrospective.
Got a BoA checking account that comes with a Mastercard Debitcard and a day later applied for the seperate, secured Creditcard, cause that's the only thing that adds to your credit, I was told. Was approved in that meeting for the CC. I just stated my UK earnings as a US dollar figure, which I could have just pulled out of the air, so they must have don't some kind of credit background check. I've had a scarily large interest only mortgage being paid off every month since 2008, 3 UK CC's being paid off each month since 2005 or so, etc.

Anyway, best of luck with your endeavours and it's great you are planning ahead and being as proactive as you can be.
Thanks! I think I'm going to need it
Old Oct 30th 2017, 1:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Picking up an aggressive tone from you, no idea why.

There is clearly some inconsistency with some people without SSN's receiving secured (credit building) creditcards, and some not. Why? These banks are incompetent? They're mis-selling? ....
Different banks have different appetites for risk, especially if they think there is good future money to be made. You may find that the rate on the card is very high, so as to discourage you from running a balance, and so that would reduce your credit risk, from the bank's perspective.

As you suggested, it may also be an error (incompetence) on someone's part, and that might be caught and remedied - meaning the account is closed and the card it card cancelled.

Another possibility is that a manager can waive the SSN requirement, BUT on the assumption that you have moved to the US and will have an SSN within a few weeks, but if you don't provided and SSN, then also under this scenario don't be entirely surprised if the bank turns around within a few months and closes your account and cancels your credit card, because that is certainly possible, and if that is a decision from head office there probably won't be anything that the branch staff can do about it.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

SteveSweet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi KingwoodBrit,

If you're in a rush to boost your credit score once you get your SSN, it may be worth asking to be added as an authorized user to the credit cards of friends or family. (Or pay a company to do the same thing with a stranger!) You don't need to ever see the card, know their card number and the card (sent to them) never has to be activated.
Somewhat surprisingly to me, this can work extremely well.

https://www.businesstradelines.net/r...-credit-score/
Old Oct 30th 2017, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Different banks have different appetites for risk, especially if they think there is good future money to be made. You may find that the rate on the card is very high, so as to discourage you from running a balance, and so that would reduce your credit risk, from the bank's perspective.

As you suggested, it may also be an error (incompetence) on someone's part, and that might be caught and remedied - meaning the account is closed and the card it card cancelled.

Another possibility is that a manager can waive the SSN requirement, BUT on the assumption that you have moved to the US and will have an SSN within a few weeks, but if you don't provided and SSN, then also under this scenario don't be entirely surprised if the bank turns around within a few months and closes your account and cancels your credit card, because that is certainly possible, and if that is a decision from head office there probably won't be anything that the branch staff can do about it.
Thanks for the detailed response, Pulaski. Them letting it ride for now in the understanding that if no SSN is available in the coming months then the account could be closed, makes a lot of sense.

Hi SteveSweet, being added as an authorised user on a friends or family card sounds like a great idea, once my SSN is known. And that link is amazing, the idea of trading your credit score, once you are retired, are independently wealthy etc.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 5:46 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveSweet
Hi KingwoodBrit,

If you're in a rush to boost your credit score once you get your SSN, it may be worth asking to be added as an authorized user to the credit cards of friends or family. (Or pay a company to do the same thing with a stranger!)
I made sure to get a UK AMEX a couple of years ago, in preparation for my move to the USA (thanks to the advice on this forum).

When I was finally able to move here to be with my wife, and received my SSN, my wife added me to her credit cards.

Once I had a job, I was able to get a secured credit card with my bank.

We use the joint cards for joint spending, and my personal card for my personal expenses. I don't need to obtain an AMEX card, which is not widely accepted as you'd think.

We are fortunate that any mortgage we apply for will be based on the wife's income, so my credit history is not important.

I was able to pay off some of my wife's debts, which improved the debt/credit ratio, and increased her credit score, which in turn means a better mortgage deal.

I know I'm fortunate that I can pay cash for a new car and put down a substantial deposit on a house, and not worry about my short term credit score.

When I want to replace my car, my credit score should be good enough to get a car loan, and live the American dream of forever being in debt
Old Oct 31st 2017, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ivanidea
When I want to replace my car, my credit score should be good enough to get a car loan, and live the American dream of forever being in debt
Heh!

Thanks, ivanidea.