Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Starting business in US...

Starting business in US...

Old Sep 28th 2007, 9:56 am
Just Joined

daveatimpeltv is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Starting business in US...

I am looking to make contacts with Brits wanting to start businesses in the US. We have recently started a television network to take advantage of the inevitable disruption of the TV industry, via the Internet.

As we roll out our network, we require marketing. We would be willing to partner with a Brit looking to start a business in the US for this reason, either direct partnership in our company or partnership with a new marketing company setup by a Brit in order to gain a Visa to the US.

Does anyone know of a good source of a list of Brits looking to setup US businesses?

Thanks,

Dave
Old Sep 28th 2007, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting business in US...

Originally Posted by daveatimpeltv
Does anyone know of a good source of a list of Brits looking to setup US businesses?
Why Brits? Why not Americans? Feel free to check up on visa requirements... you have a lot of homework to do.

Ian
Old Sep 28th 2007, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Why Brits? Why not Americans? Feel free to check up on visa requirements... you have a lot of homework to do.

Ian
They might be more desperate and less careful....
Old Sep 28th 2007, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Ian
Brits have additional motivations that US companies don't have when setting up in the US. This from what I have researched thus far, on the subject.

As well, by the nature of Brits being foreign to the US gives the Brit a potential "leg up" on a requirement for foreign contacts that a partner with our company would need to ultimately be successful, marketing our product.

This is just an idea we are exploring, Ian.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Brits have additional motivations that US companies don't have when setting up in the US. This from what I have researched thus far, on the subject.
None that I can think of, care to share your research?

As well, by the nature of Brits being foreign to the US gives the Brit a potential "leg up" on a requirement for foreign contacts that a partner with our company would need to ultimately be successful, marketing our product.
I can think of many leg downs, no ups.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 9:27 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
None that I can think of, care to share your research?

I can think of many leg downs, no ups.
Personally I think a legover situation might meet the OP's ulterior objectives more effectively...

Old Sep 28th 2007, 11:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveatimpeltv
This is just an idea we are exploring
Tell me... when you "grab videos from major video services" do you consider the ramifications of copyright infringement?

Ian
Old Sep 29th 2007, 4:03 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Tell me... when you "grab videos from major video services" do you consider the ramifications of copyright infringement?

Ian
Personally, I dream the ramifications of copyright infringement. Actually I chuckle that the producers are still trying to desperately cling to a model thats in the crapper. Sad yet funny would be my estimation.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Ian
We don't actually grab the video, but the "embed code". So the videos that you see playing on our channels are actually not playing from our servers or within our player. In essence we wrap our channel around the video. Consider it like a super link. So if the major video service takes the video down, the video will no longer play on our end either, since we really aren't grabbing the actual video asset.

The video industry is in the same position that the music industry was a few years ago and the music industry figured it out. We believe the same thing will happen to the video industry.

One thing that is happening is that the video content providers are realizing that they can upload/place video on a major service and an advertisement gets married up to the video; when someone views the video, they get paid. So if a million channels like ours pick up the video, they have a million places showing their videos and they get paid every time it gets played. The smart content providers are also good at math. They realize that they can try to port everyone back to their site to try to charge for the content, or they can drop the video on a "viral" video system like www.revver.com and have it shown in thousands of places around the world, getting paid for each view from any channel.